RP McMurphy

Reel Advice for 10' 6" Rod?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I upgrade my equipment every 25 years or so, whether I need to or not.

Newly retired are my 9' Penn Power Stick and my Penn 105C (pictured for fun).

I recently picked up a ODM Frontier X 10' 6", 2-6 oz.  Looking for a reel to pair with it.  Looking for versatility - I throw both plugs and chunks of bait.

I don't plan to reel underwater or drag it through the sand, but like the peace of mind of having a sealed reel that I don't have to worry about.

Considering a Spheros or Saragosa 6K-8K, or possibly watching BST for a gently used VR 150, 175, or 200.  I have to admit that I'm intrigued by the bail-less concept.

I tend to "buy and hold" - looking for a reel for the next 25 years. Any advice is appreciated. 

IMG_2166.JPG

Gosa 6k would be a nice fit, but they're really not sealed. Why not a daiwa bg, or for a bit more coin a saltist.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, RP McMurphy said:

tend to "buy and hold" - looking for a reel for the next 25 years. Any advice is appreciated. 

Well, the Shimanos are nice, but they will be extinct in less than 10 years. The parts will be harder to come by. 

My suggestion is to stick with the Penns. The Slammers in particular. The parts and service will be around for years. Not only that, the Slammers hold up better than the VR Staals your thinking about and have far less problems. The Slammers are well sealed and built solid, with good grade gear materials. If you shop around, you can get a great deal on the net.

Edited by Tagman

Posted (edited) · Report post

Check out the Penn Spinfisher VI 6500 Bailess.

I have the the Spinfisher VI 4500 bailess and the older Spinfisher V 6500 bailess. Awesome reels and I can still get parts for the older Spinfisher V. I get sand in them and dunk them all the time and they have held up great. Super smooth too and easy to clean. 

Edited by fishtheeast

If I had to choose one reel I would get a Penn 706Z, it could cover both duties. The bait part is a little tricky but it works I’ve done it.  The reel will last you pretty much forever with general service. Tagman is right Shimano reels are out of date before you know. 

Thanks, all, for the input.  I use Shimano for my fresh water reels (and have had no problems), so I was drawn there.  

I'll give the Penn options more attention.  Again, I appreciate the help.

21 hours ago, fishtheeast said:

Check out the Penn Spinfisher VI 6500 Bailess.

I have the the Spinfisher VI 4500 bailess and the older Spinfisher V 6500 bailess. Awesome reels and I can still get parts for the older Spinfisher V. I get sand in them and dunk them all the time and they have held up great. Super smooth too and easy to clean. 

I second this. I have a 10'6" Frontier X 3/4-4oz and it pairs really well with the bailless spinfisher VI 6500. Feels so balanced. 

Slammer 6500.  It's a tank of a reel.  It does not come in bailess, but it is a manual bail.  Best line lay within the Penn product line.  Dead system is great.  Only downside to this reel is that it is a tad heavy but I like the balance with this reel and my 10'6" rod.

For what it’s worth, I know some guys with first gen Van Staals that they’ve been abusing since the 90’s and they still function like new.... I’ve owned my 250 for 4 years and I love it. Got a 150 earlier this year and it has been great too.