YoYoFace

Preparing for Cape Cod Canal

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Hello, this is my first post here. I want to go try the canal before its too late. I already have a 10ft surf rod that my dad gave me. The reel already has braid on it but I don't know what rating it is. I plan on using it to cast plugs but my question is, do I need to attach a leader to the braid and a clip to the plug? Or is straight braid ok for casting plugs? Also, any general advice for fishing the canal would be much appreciated. Thank you.

You should have a bit of mono between the braid and your plug. Being hung up on the bottom is a part of the CCC learning curve. If you're tied to the bottom by (for example) 50 lb. braid, which generally has a substantially higher breaking strain, you're going to break something, or take a nasty pratfall,while trying to yank your jig free. Does your Dad remember what test braid he put on the reel?

You might wish to change out the top hundred yards of braid, if you can't find out what is currently on the reel.

Most of the Canal is lined with heavy stone riprap. They get slick and slimy at times. I think you'll need metal-studded shoes or oversoles, Korkers or an equivalent. PLEASE don't try those rocks in sneakers, you WILL get hurt.

If you'd like, I can transfer this to the Massachusetts Forum (you didn't notice that we had one, I take it?) where many, many Canal regulars post. They can be very informative and helpful sometimes, even though they're Red Sox fans, and doomed in the next life. Just say you want this there, and I'll move it.

4 hours ago, YoYoFace said:

Hello, this is my first post here. I want to go try the canal before its too late. I already have a 10ft surf rod that my dad gave me. The reel already has braid on it but I don't know what rating it is. I plan on using it to cast plugs but my question is, do I need to attach a leader to the braid and a clip to the plug? Or is straight braid ok for casting plugs? Also, any general advice for fishing the canal would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I would absolutely use a leader. They are an absolute necessity in the surf or at the ditch. They prevent against line chaffing and give you something to grab onto to land and control a fish. Braid can and will cut you if you attempt to grab it instead and will quickly be destroyed by sharp rocks and underwater obstructions.

I normally fish between a roughly  36" leader with a quality SPRO swivel and TA clip of the appropriate sizes. I typically use 50 or 60 lb mono at the ditch and a 125# clip.

I only use the palomar knot for all 3 connections (TA to leader, leader to swivel, swivel to braid) because of its strength the and its easy to tie

Be sure to wear designer clothing slick your hair back and put a couple of gold chains on. That way everybody will think you're from New Jersey and get out of your way.

I almost forgot get the brightest headlamp you can find that way you can see what they're catching on the other side of the canal.

1 min ago, Ditchbag said:

Be sure to wear designer clothing slick your hair back and put a couple of gold chains on. That way everybody will think you're from New Jersey and get out of your way.

That only works if you've got a gold VS and spend most of your time standing around on the service road.

Posted (edited) · Report post

well first off YYF, what do you mean , "before its to late", i don't get it, my advise is, you gotta crawl, before you walk, in so many words, the CCC, is and IS, a not the place for beginners, and guys new to Surf fishing, the best advise i will give you is the word RESPECT, when fishing at the canal, watch and learn, ask questions but not to many at one time, like the saying "don't bring a knife, to a gunfight".....research plenty, before heading there, "DON'T ", bring a or your light fishing gear, bring the heaviest you got, as far as your gear.. ,, yes, yes, a good leader say, 50, 60 lb., 30-35 in. then a strong snap., braid should be 40. 50 lb., .....

Edited by lureman

16 hours ago, YoYoFace said:

Yo-yo make a bunch of posts you need either 10 or 15 post for people to p.m. you. People aren't going to open and they give out any secrets on here once you can use the p.m. function maybe somebody that's going up can take you under their wing or something. Maybe one of the Sharpies that lives there and say hey meet me at the bulkhead. And don't get the brightest headlamp you can find ,and don't point  it in anybody's eyes.

wow, thanks for the info guys! Usually when I post on forums nobody says anything but Im glad to see this. I'll definitely tie a mono leader to my main line from now. And the New Jersey one really got me.

go on Google Earth and check the canal out a little bit pay attention to turns and corners. Anything that makes a current break.

1 hour ago, Ditchbag said:

go on Google Earth and check the canal out a little bit pay attention to turns and corners. Anything that makes a current break.

Google earth is the balls. You can also change the date/time to check what structure you can see at low tide that might not show up in the first image.