maxwebster

Choopy darters

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm a fan of Charlie's darters AND his needles!   :heart: 

He's not building much these days, from what I've seen.  What he does build for sale he puts up on his FB page ("Choopy Lures").  

Best bet is to send him a message via FB, asking if he might have what you're looking for on hand.  I've found him to be very responsive, extremely helpful and all-round nice guy.  (We exchanged many messages via FB last winter, and he was kind enough to not only LMK about upcoming sales, but answered my seemingly-unending questions about hooks and rigging for his 1.5 and 2 oz needles.)

Another option is to post in the Plugs Want to Buy forum.

Edited by Southcoastphil

Posted (edited) · Report post

Theres a shop in brielle nj. The reel seat. I'm almost positive they had a decent amount of all his plugs the last time I was in there 11/19.

That's a good shop and they have an online presence. Maybe call them?

Charlie is a good dude, I haven't talked to him in a couple years. If Phil talked to him recently I guess he doesn't build much anymore.

I've done well with his darters 15942569836857717644647034668702.jpg.bb1642fcd034ba5ff571a2e8c2ae774f.jpg:heart:

Edited by Haycreekrambler

19 hours ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Theres a shop in brielle nj. The reel seat. I'm almost positive they had a decent amount of all his plugs the last time I was in there 11/19.

That's a good shop and they have an online presence. Maybe call them?

Charlie is a good dude, I haven't talked to him in a couple years. If Phil talked to him recently I guess he doesn't build much anymore.

I've done well with his darters 15942569836857717644647034668702.jpg.bb1642fcd034ba5ff571a2e8c2ae774f.jpg:heart:

Hi Shane,

I have that same darter, along with one of Charlie's needles in that color.  Don't know what it is about such a simple take on schoolbus (or just "black/yellow") that compels me so to fish them, but I'm glad that it does!  Both have been very productive for me.

45 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Hi Shane,

I have that same darter, along with one of Charlie's needles in that color.  Don't know what it is about such a simple take on schoolbus (or just "black/yellow") that compels me so to fish them, but I'm glad that it does!  Both have been very productive for me.

Hey Phil, 

Scaled school bus I guess?

His needles are killer too. Actually their the first wooden needles I really did damage with an developed confidence in.

Charlie used to make a long drive to fish a state park that I also fished alot. The first time I remember us fishing the same spot. He had landed way more fish that nite then me. In the morning as we stood next to our trucks exhausted. He gave me a couple plugs.

Good guy and good memories.

I wish all those big fish were still around In that area on a consistent basis.

Scaled School Bus sounds like a fine description to me, mate.  

You'll get no argument from me about his excellent needles.  I fish them as much as my Habs and BMs, actually more when I want a slow sink needle.  His 1.5 oz needle is almost always in my bag.  

He made so many different styles of needles that most folks don't even know about.  Who's heard of his "JBSC" needle?  John B's Skunk Chaser was a short, sinking needle with just a single tail hook, similar to a Nite n Gale.  Wish I hadn't sold mine.  How about his 1.2 oz or his 5/8 oz?  A 1 oz stubby and a 1 1/2 oz sinker?

As I've often said (including directly to Charlie) his web site was one of THE best plug builders' sites I've ever seen, and I was saddened when he took it down.  Apparently I wasn't the only one bemoaning this, for he posted on his FB page in March that he was putting it back up, just for the content, and that it was no longer being updated at all.  

There's tons of great info on there, from his plugs to LMB, SMB & Muskies, as well as a great tribute to his mentors.

His Needles Sink Rate Test was instrumental in my early learning about needlefish plugs (even though he measured in seconds/foot as opposed to fps).

For anyone who wants to learn a lot, and not just about HIS plugs, go to:

choopylures dot ****** dot com