Paul.f150

Nantucket fluke rod selection

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I'm finally heading up to Nantucket for the first time in August to do some fluke fishing on a 6 pack and was wondering what rods do you guys bring on these trips? I don't want to bring my whole rod arsenal and was thinking of limiting myself to 3-4 rods. I'm thinking of bringing rods rated 15-30, 20-50 and 30-60 is my plan good enough or am I going to need to bring something more? I understand every trip there is different and conditions can change things but generally what rods are you guys bringing to Nantucket for fluke fishing. 

11 mins ago, Paul.f150 said:

I'm finally heading up to Nantucket for the first time in August to do some fluke fishing on a 6 pack and was wondering what rods do you guys bring on these trips? I don't want to bring my whole rod arsenal and was thinking of limiting myself to 3-4 rods. I'm thinking of bringing rods rated 15-30, 20-50 and 30-60 is my plan good enough or am I going to need to bring something more? I understand every trip there is different and conditions can change things but generally what rods are you guys bringing to Nantucket for fluke fishing. 

7'3" Black Hole Challenger Bank 731  M rod. One of the most popular fluke rods in Nantucket 

15 3 lb fkuke using the rod in Nantucjet recently

received_2755164584806671.jpeg

17 hours ago, Paul.f150 said:

17 hours ago, ksong said:

7'3" Black Hole Challenger Bank 731  M rod. One of the most popular fluke rods in Nantucket 

Love that rod!

JD

19 hours ago, ksong said:

Hi Kil, 

I always carry my Challenger M and Charter Special MH with me. I’m very happy with your products, I only have one suggestion and wanted to ask you can I have a challenger rod built with a longer butt section? Please let me know the best way to contact you to discuss more. 

thank you, 

Paul

041BAFF4-5ADC-4A08-BA59-296FEA80C5B8.jpeg

15 mins ago, Paul.f150 said:

Hi Kil, 

I always carry my Challenger M and Charter Special MH with me. I’m very happy with your products, I only have one suggestion and wanted to ask you can I have a challenger rod built with a longer butt section? Please let me know the best way to contact you to discuss more. 

thank you, 

Paul

041BAFF4-5ADC-4A08-BA59-296FEA80C5B8.jpeg

longer butt ? The 7'3" butt is pretty long. If you want longer butt, you'd better make custom rod.

9 mins ago, Lateral Line said:

I like a longer rod @ +- 8' and could handle jigs to 10 oz and bait / lead to 16 oz.

A fast action works for me.

11 mins ago, Lateral Line said:

I like a longer rod @ +- 8' and could handle jigs to 10 oz and bait / lead to 16 oz.

A fast action works for me.

We have 8' Challenger Bank M, MH and H rods you can choose.

1. Jigging rod for up to 4-5 oz

2. MH for up to 8 oz or so for chicken rigs, 3-way rigs or spoons

3. heavy for 20+ oz

Unless you are on a rapid drift (say over 2 knots) you’ll only need the lighter rods. The captain may be able to mitigate some drift problems because it’s a small boat as opposed to a larger party boat. 

Hope you have a great trip and catch a monster!

36 mins ago, hookmeup said:

1. Jigging rod for up to 4-5 oz

2. MH for up to 8 oz or so for chicken rigs, 3-way rigs or spoons

3. heavy for 20+ oz

Unless you are on a rapid drift (say over 2 knots) you’ll only need the lighter rods. The captain may be able to mitigate some drift problems because it’s a small boat as opposed to a larger party boat. 

Hope you have a great trip and catch a monster!

Thank you! 

Lamiglas TriFlex V2. That is what I would consider if on a fluke trip off Nantucket 

I go on a few trips every year.  My favorite and I bring a few are the Black Hole 731M,   I use my custom made jigs and they range from 1- 10ozs. I also bring a med Spinner to cast some of my swing tail jigs.  Its much easier on these 6 packs.  I have 2 trips in August too.  With Gordie, who you fishing with?

29 mins ago, ged said:

Lamiglas TriFlex V2. That is what I would consider if on a fluke trip off Nantucket 

I have a TFX 7030 CT that i'll be bringing in case i need to use heavy lead. I've never had to use it for fluke as i primarily use it for tog. Thanks for the input! 

Just now, Mike Lang said:

I go on a few trips every year.  My favorite and I bring a few are the Black Hole 731M,   I use my custom made jigs and they range from 1- 10ozs. I also bring a med Spinner to cast some of my swing tail jigs.  Its much easier on these 6 packs.  I have 2 trips in August too.  With Gordie, who you fishing with?

Hey Mike, 

It's Paul Freitas, i ordered those jigs off you last season and they work great! I'm fishing with Capt. Eric on the Bounty Hunter in mid August. I've been meaning to reach out and place an order in for this trip as i could use some poison tails. Hope all is well!