Borsig

Ledaer material? What are you using?

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I'm talking leaders for inshore. Some reds, mostly trout and eating size stuff. If I'm fishing big I use big game.

I fish mostly 4 and 2 size hooks and 20lb to 30lb leaders.

I've tried some flururocarbon, mono, from fluruokote to berkley big game. the 20lb stuff always seems to get brittle after a day's use. The 30lb big game holds up better, but still goes to crap pretty quickly. The 20lb fluro seems to last only a day? Stuff seems to get tangled on itsself, wrap around tisself, get a memory that knots it up and generally sucks. The 30lb big game has been the best, IMO, but 30lb is a little big for the hooks I use and the trout and smaller inshore fish I get often.

For what it's worth, I typically use 30 lb braid with a 30 lb mono leader.  I agree, though, I'l like to find a reliable leader material with a smaller diameter.

I use nothing but mono. I watched a Salt Strong video where they tested mono against floro and it showed no advantage to floro which cost ten times more.  Mono was better in strength, abrasion resistance and looked the same in the water. Floro will be proven as one of the greatest scams ever.

1 min ago, ghost said:

I use nothing but mono. I watched a Salt Strong video where they tested mono against floro and it showed no advantage to floro which cost ten times more.  Mono was better in strength, abrasion resistance and looked the same in the water. Floro will be proven as one of the greatest scams ever.

Agreed, I also do not use leader material, too stiff and wiry. I use 20 or 40# line mono, thinner and just as strong as leader material. 

Those using mono, what are you using?

Ive been using trilene big game 30, and 60 leader on the 55yd coil but the 30 seems super thick. 

30 mins ago, ghost said:

I disagree......Fluoro has it's uses...I know when fishing pline halo vs insert mono here.....it holds up much better....both at the beginning of the outing and days later....

Lots of crap fluro...

Seguar Abrasx isn't even as tough as P line's halo.....and that's supposed to be their tough stuff...Tatsu was a joke...super pricey...not worth the spool it's on....gave away a virtually unused spool of it.

Also when going from braid to leader...Halo is far more sensitive than any mono I've used....

Seguar STS fluo breaks if it looks at something coarse.

Lots of brand name junk out there.....gotta weed through it.

My purchase history of fluro pretty much stopped at Halo...tried a bunch....all crap to meh at best.....halo is exceptional....(not sure how it is as a mainline...but as a leader...I don't need anything more....Only improvement would be having it wound like sufix or seguar....that way it's silky smooth off the spool...

for mono leader material.

I've had nothing but great luck with sufix superior from 30 to 100lb.....not hard like ande and some others.....easy to tie even in the heavy stuff...

Holds up well..

Very strong without being brittle.

Even after being on the bag outing after outing.

i use the yo-zuri HD carbon in pink, fishing salty rocks up north east canada for stripers, mack and cod mostly, trouts when they aint shy or too picky.
i use their 30pounds on my 20 pound jbraid rods and their 20 or 25 pounds or even the 30 on the 15pounds jbraid rod. really invisible in the water here, just stiff enough and grabs very well with an fg knot. i can use it for weeks before it start to get rough.

I swear by Hi Sea Quatro mono.

Braid to 15ft of a topshot of this.

Runner up is Big Game mono line, not leader.

I gave up on floro years ago and catch as good since moving to FL while everyone else uses only floro 

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

for mono leader material.

I've had nothing but great luck with sufix superior from 30 to 100lb.....not hard like ande and some others.....easy to tie even in the heavy stuff...

Holds up well..

Very strong without being brittle.

Even after being on the bag outing after outing.

you ever try sea striker clear premium?

that stuff is so silky and soft and as you said,you can tie a clinch knot with it even in 100lb and give it 6 wraps easily.

HH

Ande Premium, Pink or Clear. More often than not, the next poundage class down from my mainline braid. Rather leave a short length of mono snagged on the bottom than an entire spool of braid. 

I have no doubt fluoro is better in certain circumstances, but I cannot justify the huge cost difference.

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I disagree......Fluoro has it's uses...I know when fishing pline halo vs insert mono here.....it holds up much better....both at the beginning of the outing and days later....

Lots of crap fluro...

Seguar Abrasx isn't even as tough as P line's halo.....and that's supposed to be their tough stuff...Tatsu was a joke...super pricey...not worth the spool it's on....gave away a virtually unused spool of it.

Also when going from braid to leader...Halo is far more sensitive than any mono I've used....

Seguar STS fluo breaks if it looks at something coarse.

Lots of brand name junk out there.....gotta weed through it.

My purchase history of fluro pretty much stopped at Halo...tried a bunch....all crap to meh at best.....halo is exceptional....(not sure how it is as a mainline...but as a leader...I don't need anything more....Only improvement would be having it wound like sufix or seguar....that way it's silky smooth off the spool...

Hey Scoob, I presume you are using the Halo in fresh water. What do you use for 50 or 60 lb test?

1 hour ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

you ever try sea striker clear premium?

that stuff is so silky and soft and as you said,you can tie a clinch knot with it even in 100lb and give it 6 wraps easily.

HH

Hi Roddy,

I wasn't familiar with SeaStriker until you mentioned it.  The price sure seems right.  I saw a 1/4# (= 385 yards) spool of 40# ( 0.60mm diameter) for sale at Wall-mutt for about $13.  

How well does it hold up to abrasion?