FishNorthShore

Boston whaler 17ft from 1966

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I just bought my first boat on Long Island and was looking for some help with my engine, I’m not sure what it needs or what goes into it but it’s running I would like to make sure it’s good to go for all day trips and just overall in good condition, I’m looking for advice and help overall. I’m willing to give plugs and gear for help  please let me know it would be greatly appreciated 

7 mins ago, Cabo2005 said:

You might want to bring ot to a professional for a good look over.  Nothing worse than being stranded with a crapped out motor.

Cabo

I understand looking for a good guy on the island who’s genuinely trying to help and not just run the pockets 

21 hours ago, FishNorthShore said:

I understand looking for a good guy on the island who’s genuinely trying to help and not just run the pockets 

What make engine?

1 hour ago, FishNorthShore said:

Evinrude mid 80s grey and blue

That may a bit more difficult than others, as there is no factory support.  This is one of those times when your best bet is probably a good “shade tree mechanic” rather than a marina or dealership.  Unfortunately, I can’t recommend one of those.

Just make it clear, after someone takes a look at the engine, that you want a firm estimate before they do any repairs, and get an assurance that such estimate covers all needed repairs.  Those engines were workhorses, but you don’t want to put too much money into a 40-year-old outboard.

9 mins ago, CWitek said:

That may a bit more difficult than others, as there is no factory support.  This is one of those times when your best bet is probably a good “shade tree mechanic” rather than a marina or dealership.  Unfortunately, I can’t recommend one of those.

Just make it clear, after someone takes a look at the engine, that you want a firm estimate before they do any repairs, and get an assurance that such estimate covers all needed repairs.  Those engines were workhorses, but you don’t want to put too much money into a 40-year-old outboard.

Thank you! It seems as though there’s a fine line between doing too much work, it’s working at the moment I took it for a test run with a friend and it ran fair to me but the idea of it dying unexpectedly is what worries me and I understand it’s inevitable but I’m a cautious person to some degree

On 7/6/2020 at 0:17 PM, FishNorthShore said:

Hello all, 

I just bought my first boat on Long Island and was looking for some help with my engine, I’m not sure what it needs or what goes into it but it’s running I would like to make sure it’s good to go for all day trips and just overall in good condition, I’m looking for advice and help overall. I’m willing to give plugs and gear for help  please let me know it would be greatly appreciated 

So no one sells anything just after they service it............ I'm assuming it's a 85 Rude.

To start - get a real Evinrude repair manual for that model and year. easily found...

I would change the water pump housing, gaskets and impeller.

If these look old or worn, assume you need to change thermostats and gaskets.

Check all carb lines and all around for fuel leakage. My old carb was fine, but all the lines were cracked.

check your lower unit oil for color or frothing from water intrusion. (usually before purchase)

look for signs of discoloration on the head - signs of overheating. (usually before purchase)

check compression. (usually before purchase)

No matter, great project and great boat. 

Check the power output from the stator .... Tach working? 

These above will help you know what your in for with a mechanic, if you need one at all.

Any soft spots in the deck? Rail screws holding?

Two things will do you in more likely than anything else-fuel and water.  If you don’t have an in-line fuel separator/filter-install one.  I like the see through bowl on the bottom of the element.  Don’t rely on the translucent plastic filter under the cover to protect you.  Next -make sure your water pump is up to snuff.  If I didn’t personally know the previous owner well, I’d just do the water pump to know it’s good.  And sea tow/boat us is great insurance to have-just another consideration 

Very important... Do you have an auto oiler? If so either disconnect or at least make sure the alarm works. There are ways to easily test, but I forget. I replaced the oiler and alarm in my old Johnson 90.

It's all easily done, with the book.

Poor oil mixture is a sure way to ruin a good old motor.

Thank you all for the info I’m reading through it slowly and making a list, first I need to get the manuals I’ll post some picks later today and see if I could get them without paying online or through someone here

5 hours ago, Lateral Line said:

Very important... Do you have an auto oiler? If so either disconnect or at least make sure the alarm works. There are ways to easily test, but I forget. I replaced the oiler and alarm in my old Johnson 90.

It's all easily done, with the book.

Poor oil mixture is a sure way to ruin a good old motor.

From what I know I add the oil myself to the tank