Mokes

Dried pepper storage

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

@loonytunes This is how I keep my dried peppers. The dark ones are smoked Ghosts. I keep them on a rack in the kitchen. Do they go bad or once dried, they are okay for years? Found conflicting info online. 

:p

20200706_101016.jpg

I keep mine the same way, but in the pantry away from light. Haven't had to worry about them going bad, but if you leave them out and open, they will start to rehydrate some. 

They should last for years provided they don't get wet or absorb moisture.

My grandmother used the mason jars with the latches. She would put some rice in the bottom of the jar, then some cheese cloth, then the peppers. She claimed the rice absorbed the moisture before the peppers. I'm not sure if it actually helped.

Silica packs work well too. I've taken to storing a lot of peppers in oil or vinegar as well because sometimes I just need a couple dashes. 

Here is a vinegar of 69 ghosts....

IMG_20200706_105527.jpg

2 mins ago, hhager23 said:

Silica packs work well too. I've taken to storing a lot of peppers in oil or vinegar as well because sometimes I just need a couple dashes. 

Here is a vinegar of 69 ghosts....

IMG_20200706_105527.jpg

Whoa. That looks like it could burn through anything it touches.

We pickle jalapenos, dry and freeze other hot peppers.  I make hot sauces also from our peppers.  Fatalii is as hot as I go and I tend to cut it with sweet peppers or fruit. Fish and Bulgarian Carrots are our favorites.

4 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

Has anyone mentioned up your ass with sand as a lubricant AND drying agent ?? 

Please NO pictures Brother Brian. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Disclaimer:    My comments here are based only upon my experience over the past 30+ years of saving dried chili peppers......  NOT from any google search or second hand information.  We grow and dry many varieties every year and likely in much larger quantities than most here.

We have found that they will not "go bad" and will last years, but the color, taste and quality will deteriorate over time.  Flavor is of the utmost importance to us. We have stored them in vacuum sealed mason jars in our cool, dark basement pantry with our jarred preserves and they have lasted years but the flavors are very different from the freshly dried.  Some people may not mind the change in flavor and color as the heat/spiciness factor tends to stay the same, but for our products we like to keep the quality as high as possible -  so we now always vacuum seal them and put them into our chest freezer for long term storage.  They come out almost exactly as they go in  (in terms of quality, color and flavor).

Again,  I am only talking from my experience so you can take it how ever you like.   :howdy:

5f033debada65_DriedChilis-1(4).jpg.b25ddc6f00b76d7d4fd285fd83c20be7.jpg

Just a few of the varieties we grow.

5f033d892f409_DriedChilis-1(1).jpg.c8bd08089aaf6cc95f9467bc34d0f35b.jpg 

One of our dehydrators we use.  We dry them to crispy dry and vacuum seal them immediately after they cool.

5f033dc81118a_DriedChilis-1(3).jpg.18e23690b6a7c16a96f2a952c1efd6b4.jpg

We grow more varieties than just Thai, but we do concentrate on Thai varieties - this year we have 14.

5f033ddbb9c5d_DriedChilis-1.jpg.985426447aea0b1bcd6986d4c08490ce.jpg

This is how we package them for the deep freeze.  This is just a fraction of last years crop.

This was just my 2 cents based on actual experience.  :shrug: 

I am happy to answer any questions about our process.

Dried Chilis - 1 (2).jpg

Edited by MattituckMike

11 mins ago, Spazzoni said:

Whoa. That looks like it could burn through anything it touches.

We pickle jalapenos, dry and freeze other hot peppers.  I make hot sauces also from our peppers.  Fatalii is as hot as I go and I tend to cut it with sweet peppers or fruit. Fish and Bulgarian Carrots are our favorites.

That particular vinegar is up there with Dave's Insanity in terms of heat. But if you take the seeds and pith out of a ghost pepper it has a slightly fruity taste. I like to use a single whole one in a pot of chili. 

34 mins ago, looney tunes said:

As was said as long as they are dry they will last years.

What does light do to them? Mine are in light all day. They seem okay?