Angler #1

Todays news on both Bridges

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

make it known that once the bridges are complete that they will no longer be under Army Corp Control, but the States Highway Dept. The federal government will stay pay for the cost as it sits not. Both bridges will be build along side the present ones and be 3 lanes in both directions, plus have side walks and a bike path . Making both new bridges much wider then the present footstep the are on now. . I sure hop they leave the old abutments so that they can place some sort of fishing piers for the Handicap on them, now that would serve a great need later for sure in my opinion. Peace and Prayers

30 mins ago, capequahog said:

surveyors were out in area opposite Market Basket off ramp today, so early days

Hum…….John, if that is the Mid-Cape Connector Road, that might explain why a certain residential property took a longer than usual time to sell.

2 hours ago, capequahog said:

surveyors were out in area opposite Market Basket off ramp today, so early days

John             I can guess that both areas in and around the both bridges will be adversely affected in some manner once they get the ball rolling on how and where they will be placing the new ones. The one that concerns me the most is the Bourne bridge I do not see how they will be able to conduct business as usual with out changing the entrance further up the road and that would be the same for the Old shop area. Who knows they might take the land where the old shop was and some of the land for the club up back  at least while they are building it . The Sagamore bridge area appears to have more flexibility, between the Christmas Shop and Market basket shopping center . When one just considers the increase of the foot print from its present size to twice what it is now , make one wonder which bridge will be undergoing the first replacement. They indicated that the new bridges will be built next to the old ones , so I expect that will leave them from going to another location to place it, but who knows we are living in Massachusetts, when any thing could happen surprise or not. Peace and Prayers 

41 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

…. The one that concerns me the most is the Bourne bridge I do not see how they will be able to conduct business as usual with out changing the entrance further up the road and that would be the same for the Old shop area. …

The entrance to what?  BSP?

Billions of dollars spent by the feds to replace two perfectly good bridges (load limit 16 tons per axle) because they are "obsolete"...………..  Billions of dollars spent by the state to upgrade on and off ramps when the infastructure in the rest of the state is falling apart, give it a break...…………………  This is not progress by any means, a few resident of the state will benefit with this pork barrel project while the rest of us pay the price.  Don't like the traffic for appx. 12 weeks a year on Fridays and sundays, stay home...…………..

6 mins ago, b-ware said:

Don't like the traffic for appx. 12 weeks a year on Fridays and sundays, stay home...…………..

But I am home? 

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

The entrance to what?  BSP?

Yes Joe it all depends upon which side they plan to put the bridge on the right or the left. I do not see them constructing a multi bridge deck. To understand the actual need for these bridges to be reconstructed is to better understand how time has run out with the present ones by all of the engineering reports performed over these past many years . If the cape was to evacuate for emergency needs they would never ever get off even if they made them one way off . Peace and Prayers 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Where's the plan for the tunnel?

If they can do the Big Dig and 3rd harbor tunnel stuff up in Boston they can sure as hell dig one under the ditch. 

Edited by Gotcow?

3 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Yes Joe it all depends upon which side they plan to put the bridge on the right or the left...

My understanding all along was that the new bridges would be built on the "inside"......that is the new Sag would be erected on the west side of the old Sag.......and the new Bourne would be erected on the east side of the old Bourne.

I don't believe that has changed. 

4 hours ago, Joe G said:

Hum…….John, if that is the Mid-Cape Connector Road, that might explain why a certain residential property took a longer than usual time to sell.

That’s it, eminent domain will be in play eventually whereby a property receives “fair market value “ from the state if its in the way

Its not even a question to replace the bridges due to traffic concerns.

They need to be replaced ..because they are falling apart, rusting out from under.

The last survey associated the recent renovations of painting, and at that current repainting schedule rate, it was decided that they need to be replaced.

Life on the Cape is a constant battle of rust.....

1 hour ago, FishRatz said:

Its not even a question to replace the bridges due to traffic concerns.

They need to be replaced ..because they are falling apart, rusting out from under.

The last survey associated the recent renovations of painting, and at that current repainting schedule rate, it was decided that they need to be replaced.

Life on the Cape is a constant battle of rust.....

Still rated for 16 tons per axle, probably the heaviest rated bridges in the Northeast...……………...

I have also looked high and low for engeenering reports but can find nothing but BS press releases...………………….

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

My understanding all along was that the new bridges would be built on the "inside"......that is the new Sag would be erected on the west side of the old Sag.......and the new Bourne would be erected on the east side of the old Bourne.

I don't believe that has changed. 

Joe that could very well be the end of Bourne Scenic park while that is being done and also the end of the DD at the bourne rotary and a new intersect all together going towards Falmouth.