vce12342000

Fish filleting question

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Please excuse my newbie question. I was planing on harvesting a few fish from saltwater this year for consumption. But I have a question about timing the filleting. Do you get the best results when you get them right out the water or do you keep them on ice until rigor mortise sets it to make it easier to fillet ?

Bleed the fish out, then ice. The bleeding is the biggest difference. It allows the blood to drain out and the fillets will be white not Rosie colored. 

No need to fillet right away. 

To get the best possible quality out of your fish its best to bleed them, then keep buried in ice shavings from anywhere between 12 and 48 hours before cutting. 

Yes, especially for fish with soft flesh like ling and bluefish, but also for white flesh fish like fluke and Black Sea bass, ice cold fish are easier to filet. 

Bleeding will improve the whiteness and flavor for some fish. Personally I don’t notice the difference with smaller fish. Larger fish with dark meat definitely benefit from bleeding. I usually discard the dark meat. 

1 hour ago, Fly By Nite said:

To get the best possible quality out of your fish its best to bleed them, then keep buried in ice shavings from anywhere between 12 and 48 hours before cutting. 

Can you elaborate on the extended time? I've always believed the shortest possible time to table was best. Isn't that why they have fish in tanks at fancy Asian restaurants?

17 hours ago, hookmeup said:

I usually discard the dark meat. 

Groan.....to me, that is the best part............

These blues were caught and bled immediately, then packed on ice.  I filleted them 24 hours later and as you can see, they're spectacular.

IMG_20200705_095532.jpg

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

These blues were caught and bled immediately, then packed on ice.  I filleted them 24 hours later and as you can see, they're spectacular.

IMG_20200705_095532.jpg

And the other side?

2 hours ago, hookmeup said:

The skin side is where the dark meat is

Not true the dark meat is along the lateral line, all through the fish. You can clearly see it in the photo Bob posted.

On 7/6/2020 at 2:49 PM, gellfex said:

Can you elaborate on the extended time? I've always believed the shortest possible time to table was best. Isn't that why they have fish in tanks at fancy Asian restaurants?

No idea why Asians eat fish out of the tank.  Maybe it turns them on to think they are eating something that is basically still alive?  They have their own short sighted and cultural rationale for doing it that way.  You don't eat a cow or a pig minutes after it bled to death on a kill floor why the heck would you eat a fish like that? You get better texture if the fish has had time to cool and relax.  The texture is more buttery and it cuts nicer.  Cutting a fish that has just died is not ideal- and  i think its disgusting.   But sometimes you do it out of convenience.

Posted (edited) · Report post

53 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

No idea why Asians eat fish out of the tank.  Maybe it turns them on to think they are eating something that is basically still alive?  They have their own short sighted and cultural rationale for doing it that way.  You don't eat a cow or a pig minutes after it bled to death on a kill floor why the heck would you eat a fish like that? You get better texture if the fish has had time to cool and relax.  The texture is more buttery and it cuts nicer.  Cutting a fish that has just died is not ideal- and  i think its disgusting.   But sometimes you do it out of convenience.

So I did some googling, it's an interesting premise but not a ubiquitous enough opinion to utterly convince me. Half of what I found was referencing one dude who's pushing this theory: Jon Rowley.

So if I subscribe to this, what? I've got to keep my catch in a well drained cooler of ice for several days?  What happens to fillets cut in rigor, frozen and defrosted? Clearly by the time they're being prepared they're no longer in rigor. 

I must say the timeline has appeal just from the fact that when I get home from a long day of kayak fishing I'm exhausted and just want a shower, beer, and to collapse, rather than cleaning and vac-bagging my catch.  Even 20 porgies can take quite a while to fillet and pack.

Edited by gellfex

52 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

It’s fresh. Really simple.