The Use for a Van Staal

Rate this topic

coastalfreak

I was nearshore in some decent chop last week, rod and reel was in the side gunnel holder wasn’t going for anything crazy just the usual NE summer fluke, seabass, checking the bunker pods etc. Brought my bailed VSX150...watching it get sprayed like a firehose and not having to worry about it is just a nice luxury for me imo. Sure I could’ve moved it up to the rocket launchers or console rack but they were full with a buddies gear and my Seigler was taking up a spot already. The next day I was wading a back bay with it. 

4 hours ago, levari said:

The 10% of the time justify the use of VS. Stella or Saltiga will not survive swimming 10% of your time.

The Japanese reels are smoothers however The design of VS and ZB is simple with much less parts than the Japanese reels and therefore they last longer with less failures. 

Just like the Uzi ...few moving parts..

I was implying that the pier guys are better off using something like a stella or a penn

3 hours ago, ACFishing said:

I was implying that the pier guys are better off using something like a stella or a penn

Yes, not everyone who has a VS actually needs the waterproofing most could probably get by with a Penn. 

At the canal you will actually see many anglers using the Stella, Slammer, & Saltiga - they prioritize different qualities in a spinning reel.  

10 mins ago, Tailslap said:

If you are dunking your reel VS or Z is the way to go. If not the Stella/Saltiga beats the VS hands down in every single category. The performance is not even close. 

One issue is long term ownership. Japanese reels stop supporting their discontinued products. VS/ZB should always have parts. 

For service on current models, nothing beats Shimano with their Stella. 

Edited by ged

4 hours ago, ged said:

One issue is long term ownership. Japanese reels stop supporting their discontinued products. VS/ZB should always have parts. 

That's true to some degree. Having said that, early Van Staals no longer have some parts available, and the original 2008 Stella SW is still being serviced. No guarantees on long term either way really. VS and ZB have changed hands multiple times as well as shifted manufacturing. I'd like to think the next owner or plant will carry on with the status quo but it certainly isn't a lock. "Should always have parts," is kinda wishful thinking.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

5 hours ago, ged said:

I don't buy Saltiga anymore for that reason since its much harder to service and parts are hard to come by. Shimano however is pretty much guarantee for 10 year of service. After 10 the part might not become available. 

2 hours ago, shu said:

I don't buy Saltiga anymore for that reason since its much harder to service and parts are hard to come by. Shimano however is pretty much guarantee for 10 year of service. After 10 the part might not become available. 

I wonder how true the 10 year deal is - I have 2 Aero-Technium 10000 XSC that I bought from local B&T's _ shimano dropped them after 1 or 2 years, and immediately deleted the Illustrated Parts Breakdown (Schematic) from their site. They never get close to the water - I have a step-in sand spike that travels with me when I plug, and use a 60lb Hollow-Ace Braid Shock Leader, spliced to the 30lb PP main line, as well as a 4.5 ft 50lb terminal leader - after I land the fish, the rod goes in the spike and I use the shock/terminal leader to control the fish as I walk down to the water for de-hooking.

if plugging involves being in/near the water, or I am plugging at night, I am using either a VS150, VR175, VR200 or Daiwa Mag-Sealed Emblem Surf LC 35QD SCW reel. 

Edited by FlatWing

I have a first generation Stella 4000,  The anti reverse went bad and no parts,but I am fortunate to have a repair shop in FL that had old stella's that they used for parts and fortunately It was saved from the garbage heap.  It's a problem for old Shimanos  My stella didn't get that much use and still had a problem.  Back in the day it was close to 500 bucks.