coastalfreak

The Use for a Van Staal

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Ok, so some people I see are using Van Staals on a pier, and they tend to make an argument that Van Staals are super powerful durable reels, which they are. However, wouldn't something like a Saltiga, Stella, etc be the better reel for the pier/boat considering that you wouldn't get it wet? Its no doubt those reels are smoother than a VS, and they put out more drag. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this. 

For casting plugs and jigs (even from pier or boat) I much prefer bailess over bailed, but I prefer ZeeBaaS to Van Staal

If your reels are going to stay dry then buy a reel with the gear ratio that best suits your fishing. If getting wet then go ZeeBaas or van staal.

As mentioned above, bail-less is great for plugs and lures all around on a pier, boat, surf etc. But for a reel as much as a Staal, A reel with a smooth drag and a good gear ratio is probably going to be a way better option for the conditions on a pier. I think everyone knows a reel such as a stella would be a better option but it's the fact that the reel looks cool and the fact that most people on piers have one is why so many pier guys have them. I'd also mention that a lot of people say that they are swimming with their reels and have some type of BS story to justify their use of staals when 90% of the time, most people don't even come close to their reel getting a droplet on them!

I dont "swim" with my VS but I fish a lot of rocky boulder areas that require me to use my rod as a walking stick in 3-4 feet of water sometimes so my reel gets dunked.... I need to feel my way through some areas I fish and havening a waterproof reel helps... then again there are areas where I do not need to do.that and I still use my van staal

1 hour ago, coastalfreak said:

Ok, so some people I see are using Van Staals on a pier, and they tend to make an argument that Van Staals are super powerful durable reels, which they are. However, wouldn't something like a Saltiga, Stella, etc be the better reel for the pier/boat considering that you wouldn't get it wet? Its no doubt those reels are smoother than a VS, and they put out more drag. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this. 

For some people that can’t afford multiple high end reels. They will go with the one that can be put in more situations with worry free use. A lot of Staal owners like the fact they can drop it and not worry.
The used market to buy or sell is better. I for one needed to save some money I wouldn’t buy a Stella off the internet, unless I could meet up and feel and see in person. I try not to judge the people on the docks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I hate bailed reels and I like the way a VS feels ... I don’t care if it is sealed ... mine only get wet from tears when I’m not catching ... so I guess sealed “IS” better.

Edited by smellfish

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, ACFishing said:

As mentioned above, bail-less is great for plugs and lures all around on a pier, boat, surf etc. But for a reel as much as a Staal, A reel with a smooth drag and a good gear ratio is probably going to be a way better option for the conditions on a pier. I think everyone knows a reel such as a stella would be a better option but it's the fact that the reel looks cool and the fact that most people on piers have one is why so many pier guys have them. I'd also mention that a lot of people say that they are swimming with their reels and have some type of BS story to justify their use of staals when 90% of the time, most people don't even come close to their reel getting a droplet on them!

The 10% of the time justify the use of VS. Stella or Saltiga will not survive swimming 10% of your time.

The Japanese reels are smoothers however The design of VS and ZB is simple with much less parts than the Japanese reels and therefore they last longer with less failures. 

Just like the Uzi ...few moving parts..

Edited by levari

I'm in the market for a new reel, and I'm drawn to the peace of mind of a sealed reel.  I don't plan on reeling it underwater, and I don't plan to drop it in the sand, etc...but that might happen.  

If it does and I have a sealed reel, I'll think "well, it's made to withstand that".  If not, then I'm thinking "Ah crap"

Manual pickup

Strong build

High line capacity

Staals on piers are generally used for tarpon (poons) and cobia (ling). When you have a fish like that on you need everything in your favor and without a boat to chase them down you need power and line capacity. Most guys that arent using a staal down here use 706 greenies and 706z. 

MPU is the most important factor imo. When you are sight fishing a bail slows you down ever so slightly and when its crowded combat fishing every second matters. Also when snobbling a bait (freelined using wind to bow your line like a kite to drift bait up in the water column) you take line off and on the roller 3-6 times per cast and when a king eats you usually need to drop it off your finger IMMEDIATELY. Bails are a no go for snobbling.

Equipment takes a beating on piers. Rotors hit the rail, stuff falls over, locking down drag to keep fish off a piling or in the case of a poon you have to have it layed up right next to the piling before popping off to be a "catch".

Granted there is a group of people whos mommy's buy them staals to fit in with there friends.

This is my assesment from spending every spare second of my time on a pier in NW FL dusk to dawn 15 or 16 hour days this time of year

38 mins ago, Billybob said:

Geez, you guys have a reel for every condition you fish?

I've used a VS on a boat, OMG!

Sure do lol. To be fully set up for the pier its 5 set ups minimum. More is not uncommon. Like bass fisherman ready for anything that may happen.

A couple points

If someone has the cash then then do not even think twice about buying one

Also they are built  like tanks and parts are readily available. 

For the most part in the east coast there isnt a reason to have stella or saltiga over vs for pier or surf fishing but if im out on the rock and trying to catch a tuna or gt. I'd much rather have a saltiga or stella.