bananaboat

Water temps

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Whats the deal with the water temps this year? Looking at the buoys reading mid to high 70s off the south shore this time of year is odd. Yesterday I was at the beach and water looked like the Caribbean Sea. Gulf Stream closer ? In all my years living at the beach I don’t remember it being this warm this early.

It's been strange.  Started out colder than normal, but spiked.  Was fishing 8-10 miles south of Fire Island on Friday.  Put the baits in on 76F, and surface temps were up to 79.4 when we quit.  

Had a couple of hammerheads around the boat for most of the day and caught a blacktip; that's unusual for this early in July.  Also had one of my anglers lose a very large thresher--easily the largest that I've ever seen--although the water is starting to get a little warm for them.  It's possible, maybe likely, that the warm water is all near the surface, and that it's substantially cooler farther down.

Bay was over 80.  Had 82.2 in Babylon Cove on the way in,

At the same time, the water isn't the clear blue of the Gulf Stream, at least not where we were.  More a clear green, which is fine for sharks, but tends to turn off tuna, although the bluefin will enter it.  Might go annoy tuna later this week, and also see whether any mahi have shown.

Went out three times for shark. Had a few run offs, nothing. Wasn’t hard to find blue water. Let me know if you see any mahi around. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/6/2020 at 9:23 AM, bananaboat said:

Went out three times for shark. Had a few run offs, nothing. Wasn’t hard to find blue water. Let me know if you see any mahi around. 

I'm going to take a ride on Thursday.

Trying to decide whether to stay short, and run out to my 20-fathom spot where we had the fish last week, or to bite the bullet and run 45 miles or so to 180.  I had fish in close last Friday, but not many, there wasn't any bait around, and the water was a little warm.  If I run longer, I'll probably have blue water in the lower 70s, but if there's no bait there, but the place tends to slow down after the first week or 10 days of July..  Had a small white shark, along with a sandbar and some blues on my last trip to 180 in late June, but time has moved on, and the fish may have, too.

Wish there were chub mackerel or bluefish in close; the mackerel seem to bring the threshers, while the bluefish more-or-less drive the inshore mako bite.  But I haven't had a single bluefish in my slick for the past three years, and I shark fish quite a bit.

I'll let you know if the mahi show.

Edited by CWitek

We went out to 17 fathoms and the oil wreck first shot. Nothing around water was 74.

went again week later to monsters ledge had a couple big run offs but couldn’t get em. Saw a massive mako or white shark breach about 1/2 mile from the ledge south East. Also had some smallish tuna come up to boat maybe skipjack or something not sure. They were eating our chum. 

worst part was when we got back to dock there was reports and pictures of a guy pulling in a 200 lb thresher surf fishing. Lol

18 hours ago, bananaboat said:

We went out to 17 fathoms and the oil wreck first shot. Nothing around water was 74.

went again week later to monsters ledge had a couple big run offs but couldn’t get em. Saw a massive mako or white shark breach about 1/2 mile from the ledge south East. Also had some smallish tuna come up to boat maybe skipjack or something not sure. They were eating our chum. 

worst part was when we got back to dock there was reports and pictures of a guy pulling in a 200 lb thresher surf fishing. Lol

The threshers come in close.  Always laugh when one surprises someone doing snag-and-drop right off the beach,

If you had some sort of small tuna around--there have been some false albacore mixed in with the bluefin--I wouldn't be surprised with a white or a mako.  I definitely notice a connection between tuna--particularly bluefisn--and whites.