Taako

Recommendation for "entry performance" salt water surf rod and reel. Starte

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Been fishing along the SF Coast lately (Daly City, Pacifica, Half Moon, etc) and i'm targeting Striper and surf perch mainly, as well as been trying crab snaring for dungies.

I have an absolute cheap as chips combo rod and reel that i initially bought just snaring and it's worked okay but its SO HARD to use. The rod is a [Master Spectra 3215-BK 10' Spinning Rod]*

Today at the beach the reel seat came detached from the blank and the reel seat now spins around the blank. I drilled some shallow holes in the seat with a drill press and injected glue into it to set it back but i'm fed up with the rod and reel (the reel is even worse than the rod).

I'm in the SF Bay area and targeting striper and serf perch primarily but I also want to try for halibut occasionally and potentially salmon if i take it on a boat off coast. What length should I get to accomodate this variety? I was thinking 11' since i'm be on a beach mostly but would that be too long to take on a boat? And what about for crab snares as well? Would a slightly smaller rod be better for snares? Snares can get extremely heavy and I don't wanna break the rod if it's not meant for that. I'd rather get another cheap beefier rod (Daiwa Beefstick?) for snares if i can't safely accommodate it on this striper/perch/halibut rod.

As for the reel i was originally thinking of a Daiwa BG Saltwater spinning reel since i have a BG 2500 that i use for general lake/river fishing (largemouth, catfish, trout, shad). I've heard some both really great and really bad things about Penn Spinfisher and i'm considerng that as well. I can't find any clear recommendations on Shimano but i know they make great stuff.  I'm not sure what size reel to get, is there any reason not to get 8000? Is that way too overkill for this? Should I got 4000 or 4500 instead since i'll be slinging this from a beach for hours at a time?

Budget for Rod+Reel is ~200-250.

Next, can i get some tips for what tackle should I use for Striper and Surf Perch in the SF Bay coast line?

I heard something about Lucky Craft 110 and i've never used/seen them before, should I order one and try it out?

I primarily use sandcrab for bait with a size 8 baitholder, is this too small?

Which rigs are commonly used? So far i've used fish-finder rig and carolina rig, with a high-low used once but no luck on it. Primarily fish-finder has been lucky for me but i'm not sure.
What about weights? How much weight should i slap on each rid?

Edited by TimS
link removed

Hey there,

I do the same type of fishing, same areas. I use an Okuma Rockaway 11ft. and it works well for me. I like that it has a rating of 3/4oz - 3oz for lure weight which is important if you are interested in throwing thinks like the Luckycraft 110. Many longer rods will not easily handle lighter plugs. It also works well with sand crabs on a fish finder rig with weight. I recently upgraded my reel to a Penn Slammer 2 4500. I would recommend spending a little extra on a reel that is somewhat sealed if you plan to fish stripers from the beach. 

Hope this helps, PM me if you have more questions. Good luck.

alot of people use Berkeley gulp sandworms on a #4 baitkeeper hook carolina rigged with a 3/4 - 1.5 oz egg sinker as an alternative to sandcrabs.

Loaded question. 

I see a few different rod/reel combos for what your looking to accomplish. 

1) your primary beach rod. I would recommend a 9/10ft 10-20lb line class med or med/hvy rod and 5000/6000 sized reel. This will cover bait fishing and will throw some lures as well. Will probably struggle throwing over 2oz. plenty capable to sandcrab for perch and bass on the beach. Lures will be that lc110 and similar swimmer lures, metals, ans bucktails. Diawa BG + 30lb braid would handle this well. Lots of good rod brands, best thing to do is get into a shop and hold them in hands and get the feeling. 

2) the rod you hope to chase salmon with on the boats. I would recommend using the rent rods on the party boats. these are usually 7ft 10-25lb line class or 12-30lb line class and drag balls well. There is no good solution for a combo beach and salmon troll rod. Salmon trolling involves dragging a 2.5lb lead sinker through the ocean at 3mph. Trolling is the primary method boats use to target salmon. If you can get on a boat that is going to mooch, will be advertised as a mooching trip and not that common, then the above beach rod might be able to handle it. 

3) the crab snare rod. This rod needs to be beefy. That beefstick would do well. Understand crab snaring is rough on reels, particularly the gearing. For this reason the amount of money you spend on the reel will pretty much dictate its lifespan. Cheap reel will be fine for a few trips a year. But if you plan to crab a lot then a more expensive reel with better gearing might be better. 8000 is a solid size for snaring. load up with 65lb braid and send it.

To your how much weight question,

only as much weight as you need. egg sinkers are popular but pyramids hold bottom better. the size of surf and current will dictate how much eight is needed in that particular spot. 

4 hours ago, dolamike said:

Hey there,

I do the same type of fishing, same areas. I use an Okuma Rockaway 11ft. and it works well for me. I like that it has a rating of 3/4oz - 3oz for lure weight which is important if you are interested in throwing thinks like the Luckycraft 110. Many longer rods will not easily handle lighter plugs. It also works well with sand crabs on a fish finder rig with weight. I recently upgraded my reel to a Penn Slammer 2 4500. I would recommend spending a little extra on a reel that is somewhat sealed if you plan to fish stripers from the beach. 

Hope this helps, PM me if you have more questions. Good luck.

Hey! I can't PM for some reason...

how does the Luckycraft 110 cast on your 3/4-3oz rod? I'm going to be picking up one of these (recommend a color? I'm thinking metallic sardine). Also what pound braid do you use for this lure? it seems like heavy braid might affect how far you can sling it.

Get a few nice outfits as you'll probably end up doing so eventually, or prioritize what you're most interested in pursuing. BG 2500 is fine for perch as you'll want a light rig.  U can look at BG 4000 for stripers as a thought. Pretty good bang for the buck. There's a good rod/reel thread at the top of the page too.

Edited by Paladin

18 hours ago, Taako said:

Hey! I can't PM for some reason...

how does the Luckycraft 110 cast on your 3/4-3oz rod? I'm going to be picking up one of these (recommend a color? I'm thinking metallic sardine). Also what pound braid do you use for this lure? it seems like heavy braid might affect how far you can sling it.

It does well with the luckycraft. I'm running 30 pound braid with a 2-3ft mono leader tied to the braid with an Alberto or Uni knot. You could probably get by with 20 pound no problem. I like the 30 just in case I hook into a nice one. ;-) If your ever in Pacifica go check out New Coastside 2 tackle shop, they will have everything you need and are very helpful.

My first post here.

We fish for the same stuff in the same spots. If you want to throw LC's and Calissa's, use your 2500 on a 10'6"ish, 3/8-3/4oz medium rod. 15lb braid is a good choice. These lures weigh around 5/8oz, so you could go to a 1/4-5/8 rod. 

I switch to a wide baitcaster and 10'ish 3/4-1.5oz med-fast rod for 2" gulp sandworms on a sliding rig. 20lb braid on this set-up. I'm like 99% of the time with a 1oz egg.

1 hour ago, plinker said:

My first post here.

We fish for the same stuff in the same spots. If you want to throw LC's and Calissa's, use your 2500 on a 10'6"ish, 3/8-3/4oz medium rod. 15lb braid is a good choice. These lures weigh around 5/8oz, so you could go to a 1/4-5/8 rod. 

I switch to a wide baitcaster and 10'ish 3/4-1.5oz med-fast rod for 2" gulp sandworms on a sliding rig. 20lb braid on this set-up. I'm like 99% of the time with a 1oz egg.

dang two rigs? i was hoping to throw the LC110 on the same rig as 2-3oz fish-finder with sandcrab.

4 hours ago, dolamike said:

It does well with the luckycraft. I'm running 30 pound braid with a 2-3ft mono leader tied to the braid with an Alberto or Uni knot. You could probably get by with 20 pound no problem. I like the 30 just in case I hook into a nice one. ;-) If your ever in Pacifica go check out New Coastside 2 tackle shop, they will have everything you need and are very helpful.

Thanks for the info! I'm glad to hear your 3/4-3oz rod can throw the LC110, I want something that can throw LC110 as well as 2-3oz of lead for fish-finder rig with sandcrab.

I'm a mere 20 minute drive away from pacifica, they carry good deals on rods/reels too?

1 hour ago, Taako said:

dang two rigs? i was hoping to throw the LC110 on the same rig as 2-3oz fish-finder with sandcrab.

It's just that a 5/8oz bait is not going to properly load a rod rated for up to 3oz. That said, the right conditions to throw the light baits don't happen everyday. Most of the time you'll be throwing heavier chrome or hair jigs, along with your perch set-up.

If you wish to fish LC 110’s on a heavier rod, a couple suggestions,

Keep your braid at 20lbs or lighter.

Try rigging your LC 110 as a drop shot rig. Disclaimer - this was recommended to me by a tackle shop guy that I trust. I’ve only tried it once, however. Since the LC is neutral buoyancy it should work. 

i was going to order this rod for my bg4500 for lighter shtuff..KFS1230S90CT .that big website has it for 69 dollars with free shipping.. i have 6 or 7 of the kunnan bait casting rods from 7'9 to 9' i have 3  KIM7902XHC i use for trolling salmon,, halibut,, wsb.....best 60 dollar rods ever...

Edited by ghostfish slayer

started out using a 10' salmon/steelhead rod.  rated 1/2oz - 1 1/2oz heavy rod.

does great work with the 110 and yozuri lc hydro's - cheaper then sp's, cast longer, has better rings and hooks.

3500 daiwa reel with 20 braid.  throw this all day no fatigue.  2oz and your lobbing casts.

I do have separate crab rods to snare with 13'.

changed up to 11' okuma rockaway with 5000 lc reel.  I feel it at the end of the day.  I'd keep the reel as small as possible 4000 filled with 30 braid.

my every day rod is custom 132-2L with modded penn 706/z reel.. the rod by itself is light,, the reel is not but it hollds almost 300 yards of 65 lb braid.. i use 60-100 lb mono leader.. i throw 2 1/2 to 3 oz pencils on it every day..  countlest casts to the second or third hump if i can reach it.. puts my plug in rythom through every sweet spot area,, every cast.. the gear ratio is so slow i have to step back and reel at the same time to get the rythom right depending on tide pushing or pulling.. its what i do,, its what i know..it has worked for me for a long time,, yeah im almost 50 the **** hurts... i have to shake the dead arm tingles out of my hand all the time..im covered though.. i have nothing to worry about when and if i connect with that big one..