Arcusmaster1

no fish, what am i doing wrong?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

so far in my fishing season this year, I have only caught one sea robin by accident.  I live right off of a harbor, boats going in and out all day, and go down to my dock all the way to the end and throw plugs and swimbaits and pretty much anything. I'm in the Fairfield County area. I've even brought 4-5 rods and thrown out chunks of clams or small crabs. at this point I'm not looking for striped bass anymore, more like anything that will bite whatever I throw.  even at the dead of night around 11 ish, i will watch small fish break the water and when i throw past them and catch up to them they splash on the other side of the dock. in the area where I fish its all seaweed beds or rocks so I get snagged. I've checked weather conditions, tides, water temperatures in certain areas. still nothing and nowhere. normally id go to a different pier but its been swamped with anglers recently.  I've gotten fish there before so I know they are there. I just don't know whats going on. I have everything from 12ft rods to 6,6 rods. am i just having a bad season? dunno whats going on. sorry if this is in the wrong forum, first time posting.

47 mins ago, jimmy z said:

The fish are always gonna be where ya get 'em. 

Try a new spot.:howdy:

thing is ive tried other spots too, i went all the way up the Housatonic River near derby ct and sherwood island still nothing but i see other people around me catching stuff which was leading me to believe its something im doing wrong lol. ill google map hunt for more spots

Go the other way on the river, to the mouth. Rivers are warm now, temp up around 70 . Fish the mouth of that river on the outgoing. Don't fish the beaches, unless there are jetties or piers. In the next town up the shore there is a nice outflow with a small jetty. But it's already July. The coastal waters are warm now. 

I like this time of the year for tins, some small bluefish action maybe:howdy:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Try areas where waterways narrow and/or places with current. Take notice to where other people fish consistently usually there is a reason fish or convenience. Take notice to the current fish may just show at fast water when they have an advantage. Fish as light as you can, small jigs and plastics, fish 180 degrees bait fish could be swimming past your legs trying to avoid predators. Doorgunner did a video on stripers with poppers once and made an observation. He would have a hectic bite then nothing and a while later the same would happen. What he figured was that the stripers where patrolling a territory and would scatter the baitfish and return later after they regrouped. Fish that chase down food are in constant motion searching and avoiding being someone else's diner. I like to fish this one estuary with great sod banks a narrow neck with a bridge with flats and small creeks feeding into it. It just looks fishy and seldom do I catch fish there but I go anyway because it's just so pretty. Sometimes it's not about the fish. 

Edited by squidder 329
spelling

This time of year (now til Sept) I LOVE to walk the shore and cast metal, usually Kastmasters but I'm switching from them, on a light rod (up to 1 1/4oz, 10-14lb line +leader) 

Enjoy the views, catch whatever. 

I go either dawn or dusk. Regardless of the tide. If it's low I walk out to my waist.    Or find nice deep channel w/ rocky structure and hit some scup with sandworms.  

I believe it's impossible to not have a good time with a light rod & scup.  

You got any baittraps out?  That close to water I'd have traps & hoop nets out 24/7!  I gotta drive an hour just to hit the shore. 

This year sucks for me thou. The Rona has me all locked down with nowhere to park. So I'm envious of ya. 

Eta.  If I was in your spot I would drop a live killie on a slip bobber off that dock. 

If I couldn't catch a big fat killie I'd find a live crab,  keep the bait a foot or two off the bottom.   If there is a fish out there, you'll get it. 

This is one of my favorite rigs for fresh or saltwater.  Even works with dead whole shiners, killies, shrimp etc.  Just every now n then give it some gentle movement. 

PB hookup on this rig was a 6ft+ tarpon in a back bay channel in the FL keys.  Didn't land it, but I hooked and fought it til it jumped and landed on my 10lb test!

And that was on a dead peel n eat shrimp

Edited by PSegnatelli

Can you target porgies, that’s a Good bet now. LI sound is slow during the dog days, and of course the fishery has degraded. For me late aug-oct. is so much better.

Edited by cheech
Addition

10 hours ago, Arcusmaster1 said:

thing is ive tried other spots too, i went all the way up the Housatonic River near derby ct and sherwood island still nothing but i see other people around me catching stuff which was leading me to believe its something im doing wrong lol. ill google map hunt for more spots

spot burn

Fished soco on July 2 got skunked but did see a 4/5 foot shark get caught copper in color not familiar with the exact species .3 young  hero's doing the landing,had bolt cutters to cut the hook and released quickly. The sharks mouth was big enough to pull the calf muscle out of a man's leg.

They were using squares of fish skin looked like one inch thick swordfish skin cut into 12 inch squares and carried approx 150 yds  out by two man kyack they had smooth cable as leader and the dropped the baits.  Not sure of regulations but the beach patrol was on hand and didn't say anything .

Edited by Surf bomber

Could be a bunch of things but I’m guessing the lack of fish is due to the lack of bait running around your area I’m sure there are fish around maybe just tight lipped or they are biting at a certain tide.

50 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

Fished soco on July 2 got skunked but did see a 4/5 foot shark get caught copper in color not familiar with the exact species .3 young  hero's doing the landing,had bolt cutters to cut the hook and released quickly. The sharks mouth was big enough to pull the calf muscle out of a man's leg.

They were using squares of fish skin looked like one inch thick swordfish skin cut into 12 inch squares and carried approx 150 yds  out by two man kyack they had smooth cable as leader and the dropped the baits.  Not sure of regulations but the beach patrol was on hand and didn't say anything .

Soco?  Not familiar with that term.  

When you're watching other people catch fish while you aren't, pay attention to what they use and how they use it. If they're cool they may give you a few tips.

Remember that you're playing against a stacked deck right now.  Striped bass, bluefish and weakfish are all overfished, so there just aren't as many fish around for you to catch.  When fish are abundant, they spread out over a wider area.  When they're not abundant, you have to go out and find them.

I was fishing Fairfield County (Connecticut--I'm guessing that's the one that you're taliking about) last Monday.  My friend and I have a combined 100 years-plus  experience on the water we fished, and we were fishing from a boat, but we still were blanked for hours before finally finding a short-lived striped bass bite in one spot where a rip was forming up over a boulder field.  And even there, the only thing the fish would respond to were pencil poppers, and they were very lukewarm about taking those.  Swimming plugs and bucktails were completely ignored.

If you want bass, you're going to do best between sunset and dawn (although the ones we finally found hit very late in the morning, just about 8:00 am).  Bluefish and weakfish are also going to be best during the quiet times, although blues usually hit better when there is just a little bit of light on the water, although they'll hit in the dark, too.  Sometimes, a school of bluefish might push menhaden up in the river and give you a daytime shot, but that hasn't been happening too often in recent years.

There are fluke around.  My friend had a 6-pounder up there on Friday, and had a couple of short weakfish, too.  So that's an option.

Right now, just keep trying things, and you will learn.  Watch what the successful folks do.  Pay attention to rigging; when bait fishing, it can matter.  If you keep at it, think about what you're doing, and try different things, success will come.