65 Sea James

Can you eat Sea Robin

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

From what I’m able to understand about Sea Robin’s is that they are supposedly  a scavenger fish. Or what many people consider a trash fish. I have also heard, is that you can eat the tail portion of the fish. Not sure if it is any good or is considered a delicacy by few. If so, how do you prepare such a fish to be able to eat?

The whole fillet is good to eat, not just one small section. 

Cook them like you like other fish cooked. There is nothing special to do, just enjoy. 

Fry 'em - tastes something between Fluke & Porgy. Smoke 'em - almost like Whiting. Fry the roe of  the big females. Use the belly for strip bait.

11 hours ago, foxfai said:

I've cooked them a few different ways and they seems to taste very close to seabass.

Here is how I handle it:

Much like cleaning a blowfish.

Searobins I beleive are distant cousins to monkfish, just as oyster crackers and star gazers and sallygrowls are.

The Mediterranean version of the sea robin is called a gurnard.  Here is a video that shows an alternate way to clean a sea robin and end up with clean filets.

There are two types of sea robins in our area, the small brown ones and the much bigger orange ones. They taste the same but the big orange ones are much easier to filet.

They're easy to clean. Snip off the fins, cut behind the head to the spine. Pull the head down and break the spine and pull. Skin and guts come out in one shot and you're left with a bone in searobin drumstick. Cook just like that however your want. Meat falls right off the bone. Searobin is fantastic.

Crabs and lobsters are scavengers and they taste delicious.

I think many people consider sea robins a trash fish because they get in the way of more desirable fish.

I keep the bigger ones if I am fishing to put dinner on the table.