EBHarvey

G8/G7 and Russia - What's the Big Deal?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

According to Wikipedia:

Russia′s participation suspension (2014)

On 24 March, 2014, the G7 members cancelled the planned G8 summit that was to be held in June of that year in the Russian city of Sochi, and suspended Russia's membership of the group, due to Russia's annexation of Crimea; nevertheless, they stopped short of outright permanent expulsion.  Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov downplayed the importance of the decision by the U.S. and its allies, and pointed out that major international decisions were made by the G20 countries.

Later on, the Italian Foreign Affairs minister Federica Mogherini and other Italian authorities, along with the EastWest Institute board member Wolfgang Ischinger, suggested that Russia may restore its membership in the group. In April 2015, the German foreign minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said that Russia would be welcomed to return to G8 provided the Minsk Protocol was implemented.  In 2016, he added that "none of the major international conflicts can be solved without Russia", and the G7 countries will consider Russia's return to the group in 2017. The same year, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe called for Russia's return to G8, stating that Russia's involvement is "crucial to tackling multiple crises in the Middle East".  In January 2017, the Italian foreign minister Angelino Alfano said that Italy hopes for "resuming the G8 format with Russia and ending the atmosphere of the Cold War".  On 13 January 2017, Russia announced that it would permanently leave the G8 grouping.

Nonetheless, Christian Lindner, the leader of Free Democratic Party of Germany and member of the Bundestag, said that Putin should be "asked to join the table of the G7" so that one could "talk with him and not about him", and "we cannot make all things dependent on the situation in Crimea".  In April 2018, the German politicians and members of the Bundestag Sahra Wagenknecht and Alexander Graf Lambsdorff said that Russia should be invited back to the group and attend the 2018 summit in Canada: "Russia should again be at the table during the [June] summit at the latest" because "peace in Europe and also in the Middle East is only possible with Russia".  The US President Donald Trump also stated that Russia should be reinstated to the group; his appeal was supported by the Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.  After several G7 members quickly rejected US President Trump suggestion to accept again Russian Federation in the G8, Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov said the Russian Federation wasn't interested in rejoining the political forum. He also said that G20 is sufficient for Russian Federation.  In the final statement of the 2018 meeting in Canada, the G7 members announced to continue sanctions and also to be ready to take further restrictive measures against the Russian Federation for the failure of Minsk Agreement complete implementation.

So, what am I missing here that makes this such a huge deal for some people?  I see Trump's insistence that Russia be brought back in posted about almost daily, but it seems like no big deal either way, and something Russia, at least publicly, doesn't seem to even care that much about...... :huh:

Nothing. Other than it’s RUSSIA. 

Obama/Hillary had the misspelled “reset” button. 

Romney said they were dangerous but Barry said “the 1980’s want their foreign policy back” 

Barry told them he would have more flexibility after 2012. 

They were great friends from 2008-2016. 

Once Trump got in, they became the devil!

Read this and tell me why you think Russia fits in with the idea of the G7.

https://www.g7germany.de/Webs/G7/EN/G7-Gipfel_en/FAQs_en/faq_node.html#:~:text=The G7 sees itself as,key principles of the G7.

It started as the G7, Russia was let in after the fall of the USSR as a symbol of cooperation between E and W, even though they didn't meet the standard of economic size.  And bounced as punishment for their invasion and annexation of Crimea. Plus they invaded other parts of Ukraine.

Russia was asked to join when Yeltsin appeared to be headed towards cooperation with the West and democratization.  Adding Russia to G7 was purely aspirational. Putin has worked against EU and US interests to destabilize where he can and moved opposite to any democratization of Russia.  Russia isn’t a big enough or democratic enough economy to qualify.  China as an influential and powerful nation or India as large democracy have better credentials.  Putin needs to show an attitude adjustment after invading Georgia and Ukraine before he should be considered to become part of a group of world’s largest democratic economies. 
Besides, Russia would probably decline an offer. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, JimW said:

Russia was asked to join when Yeltsin appeared to be headed towards cooperation with the West and democratization.  Adding Russia to G7 was purely aspirational. Putin has worked against EU and US interests to destabilize where he can and moved opposite to any democratization of Russia.  Russia isn’t a big enough or democratic enough economy to qualify.  China as an influential and powerful nation or India as large democracy have better credentials.  Putin needs to show an attitude adjustment after invading Georgia and Ukraine before he should be considered to become part of a group of world’s largest democratic economies. 
Besides, Russia would probably decline an offer. 

It's very clear and simple why they don't deserve to be in.

What's not clear is why Trump wants them in so badly.

Edited by patchyfog

1 hour ago, patchyfog said:

Read this and tell me why you think Russia fits in with the idea of the G7.

If you are asking me, I have no opinion on the matter.  Couldn't care less either way.  My question wasn't should they be in or not, it was why the topic seems to be so ridiculously important to some people.  To me it seems inconsequential, even trivial.

I think the types of international groups the US chooses to be part of, and what they're supposed to stand for, is important in lots of ways. While some people don't.