Scott Charlton

Fun day catching bait

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Had a fun day down south yesterday loading up on bait.  Going to try to hit up the shore tonite if the surf stays below three feet.  If you see a guy this evening in the surf of southern Maine, say hi.

Fresh clams are my favorite.  Hands down, they are my fav, but Mack’s are not too shabby.  Salted clams rock as they stay on the hook and they attract fish from always.  You?

I know I wasn't asked, but I strongly prefer macs to clams.   I recently traveled to Massachusetts to get fresh mackerel.   I obviously had to freeze most of them, but even after a few weeks in the freezer, they're still productive.      

18 mins ago, MartyK said:

I know I wasn't asked, but I strongly prefer macs to clams.   I recently traveled to Massachusetts to get fresh mackerel.   I obviously had to freeze most of them, but even after a few weeks in the freezer, they're still productive.      

I appreciate your input haha. Why do u prefer macs over clams?

15 mins ago, Nbourque said:

I appreciate your input haha. Why do u prefer macs over clams?

I have to show this to my wife!   

Several reasons.   Sometimes I have to cast further, and I feel macs stay on the hook better.   Also, because they stay on the hook better, there is more of a chance of them staying in "fishable" condition after a hit.   I also have personally had better experience with them.    I will say that clams last longer in the freezer.   I had a few packs left over from last year which I successfully used in May of this year.   

13 mins ago, MartyK said:

I have to show this to my wife!   

Several reasons.   Sometimes I have to cast further, and I feel macs stay on the hook better.   Also, because they stay on the hook better, there is more of a chance of them staying in "fishable" condition after a hit.   I also have personally had better experience with them.    I will say that clams last longer in the freezer.   I had a few packs left over from last year which I successfully used in May of this year.   

There’s no way macs stay on the hook better! Haha. My brined clams are super tough and stay on the hook great. I know you use fresh macs so I’m sure they stay on the hook better than the mushy thawed frozen macs I use....

I agree, a clam out of the shell only stays on the hook with dental floss, and a mackerel will be there longer.   However, a salted clam is extremely rigid, and stays on a hook very well.  If brined correctly, makes its flavor present over a wide area.  Although, so will a brined mackerel.  I say we do this-let’s meet up at a beach some evening and see.  I’ll record it, and we can trash talk for years!   You guys are great, hope to meet you some day.

On further research, "Sabiki" in Japanese means "This is going to get tangled so much you sucker!"

All kidding aside, if you're serious about loading up on macks, a "Sabiki Rig" fishing pole is a great investment.  I love mine, especially when quitting time comes and all I have to do is point the tip down and crank that rig into the rod.  I had a sinker-making friend of mine do short shots of lead in his cannon ball molds so I get 1/2 a ball, which nicely fits on the top of the rod.

38 mins ago, Scott Charlton said:

I agree, a clam out of the shell only stays on the hook with dental floss, and a mackerel will be there longer.   However, a salted clam is extremely rigid, and stays on a hook very well.  If brined correctly, makes its flavor present over a wide area.  Although, so will a brined mackerel.  I say we do this-let’s meet up at a beach some evening and see.  I’ll record it, and we can trash talk for years!   You guys are great, hope to meet you some day.

I’m going to brine some frozen macs this week. I want to see how they turn out. 

How exactly do you brine?   I pour kosher salt all over my clams after they're defrosted and don't see any difference overnight.   For the record, I partially defrost my bait the day before I'm going to use it (I strictly fish early mornings to stay away from crowds).   Then I chunk it up into usable pieces and refrigerate it overnight in a Tupperware container.   Then I take it out of the fridge on my way to the beach.