Drew C.

Charlton 8450 - disassembly

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Anyone have one and open it? Per the Charlton catalog - "this is one Charlton reel you can disassemble to see what makes it tick". Mine suffered some water intrusion and is a little 'off'. I have no idea how to take it apart. I'm not looking for guesses or things to 'try'. I know its a long shot but I figured I'd ask.

Don't know if it's like other Charlton reels but there is a hole on the spindle that Jack would push with a tool that allowed him to remove the drag stack.  I think a small punch was all that was needed to trigger the release.

7 mins ago, formula1 said:

Don't know if it's like other Charlton reels but there is a hole on the spindle that Jack would push with a tool that allowed him to remove the drag stack.  I think a small punch was all that was needed to trigger the release.

I will look. The 8450 is a different than the 8500 and 8550. The later two are basically the same but again, different vs the 8450. 

I never figured it out. I have my ideas but i'm not about to 'try' them. The reel clearly isn't as sealed as they were made out to be. I did seem to solve the issue, the shaft is hollow, some oil in the opening has fixed the issue for now. Going forward, it won't get dunked.

IMG_8529.jpeg

Drew, you may know this already, but Kim Carls at Ross Reels knows a ton about these Charltons. Even though they don’t have any more parts for them (and aren’t planning on producing any due to cost) and thus “don’t service them anymore”, I have found Kim to be very helpful with such questions. Hope your reel keeps working, they are great reels. I use 8550c reels for my Spey fishing and 8450 and 8500 reels for other applications (trout, surf, flats).

On 7/21/2020 at 9:06 AM, Drew C. said:

I never figured it out. I have my ideas but i'm not about to 'try' them. The reel clearly isn't as sealed as they were made out to be. I did seem to solve the issue, the shaft is hollow, some oil in the opening has fixed the issue for now. Going forward, it won't get dunked.

IMG_8529.jpeg

Merely out of curiosity, why did you block out the serial number?

On 11/12/2020 at 6:28 AM, Oakman said:

Merely out of curiosity, why did you block out the serial number?

I consider it somewhat as personal info so i. won’t post it. 

Thanks, I will look into Bill. I remember him making reels in the past. 

the reel clearly had water intrusion and the drag is ‘off’. Obviously not sealed as well as thought. 

Edited by Drew C.

On 11/14/2020 at 9:48 AM, Linesidesonthefly said:

Whenever I have a slight issue with high end reels it goes in a box mailed to Archuleta Reel Works. Bill is a reel guru. 

Per Bill, I have an nice paper weight. 

I have an email out to Ross but I’m not expecting anything to come of that. 

is what it is. 

fwiw, I can see potentially how an 8500 series reel can be opened up but not on this one. 

1 min ago, Drew C. said:

Per Bill, I have an nice paper weight. 

I have an email out to Ross but I’m not expecting anything to come of that. 

is what it is. 

fwiw, I can see potentially how an 8500 series reel can be opened up but not on this one. 

That sucks.