fishhappy

Lexa Komodo Tranx

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I’m going away from round reels. There are a lot of posts on these three models Tranx, Lexa, and Komodo, I am posting to see if any opinions changed on the better one. Do any of these clear over 100 yards?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I own 2 400 lexa HD's and with a 1-1/2 oz bucktail I can throw it that far easy not even trying.

don't know of the other 2 nor have held/seen one.

love them 400's,compact and powerful,,kinda like a hand sized 44 magnum.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

1 min ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I own 2 400 lexa HD's and with a 1-1/2 oz bucktail I can throw it that far easy not even trying.

don't know of the other 2 nor have held/seen one.

HH

Hooksetter.. you using braid or mono ? if so what and what lb test thx

46 mins ago, fishinthedark said:

Hooksetter.. you using braid or mono ? if so what and what lb test thx

I don't like braided lines but I do use cabelas salt striker copolymer line,sea-striker clear premium[soft and silky] and the one at walmart Omni-flex,it's a decent line and very cheap.

$1.49 for 250 yards .

I use any of them from 17-40.

the 40 copolymer line I use on my Calcutta 700-B due to it's big spool.

the abu 7000's get 25-30lb and the lexas get 17-25.

the lexas seem to like the 17-20 and I will use 25 if gators ever show up again.

one thing with them lexas is to do a pretrip lubing.

Alan Tani has a detailed thread on it and when I got my 2 I used it,works great.

I also degreased the spool bearings with lighter fluid to "clean" them out then soap/watered them then dried them.

after that I gave each a single drop of 3-in-1 oil and gone fishing. 

I love mine and wouldn't trade them for anything out there.

HH

ps-the .cabelas salt striker copolymer lines are thinner than standard mono so,you get more on.

and they are always on sale somewhat in bulk spools.

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

Check out the in depth side by side comparison of those exact reels by @scoobydoo (Tackle Advisors) on YouTube.  In short, if you want ease and distance with your casting, go with the Tranx or the Lexa.  The Komodo has a non disengaging levelwind, so casting distance suffers.  That said, I recently bought a Komodo 364plx for bottom fishing, where I think the Komodo’s stainless steel gears and non disengaging levelwind are an asset.

Edited by Water Dog

1 hour ago, Water Dog said:

Check out the in depth side by side comparison of those exact reels by @scoobydoo (Tackle Advisors) on YouTube.  In short, if you want ease and distance with your casting, go with the Tranx or the Lexa.  The Komodo has a non disengaging levelwind, so casting distance suffers.  That said, I recently bought a Komodo 364plx for bottom fishing, where I think the Komodo’s stainless steel gears and non disengaging levelwind are an asset.

I was also reading that people had tricks to increase casting distance with the Komodo. I am looking for the longest caster.

8 mins ago, fishhappy said:

I was also reading that people had tricks to increase casting distance with the Komodo. I am looking for the longest caster.

If you’re looking for the longest caster, than I would definitely skip the Komodo and go with the Tranx or Lexa.

With the Lexa 400, for the most distance leave the LW in the center before casting. I did a post on “Field casting the Lexa 400”. Nice solid reel.

As a Shimano fanboy went with the HG Tranx’s. I love the first one so bought 2 of them. Very comfortable reel in my hand. Running 20lb Jerry Brown braid on the one and 40lb on the other. Haven’t had one issue plenty of power for NE bottom fishing along with casting at Stripers and blues. 

Komodo should not be on that list if distance is your priority. The non-dis-engaging level wind makes that one my choice for bottom fishing and last on my list of casting reels.

On July 5, 2020 at 10:20 PM, Water Dog said:

If you’re looking for the longest caster, than I would definitely skip the Komodo and go with the Tranx or Lexa.

I have used all these reels side by side.

There is no discernable difference in casting distance between any of these reels in a fishing scenario. 

Scoob was was using a Komodo 364SS that was only spooled up 2/3rds of the way. Your casting distance will suffer with any bait caster in that scenario.

I offered him the opportunity to borrow one of my 471SS's a few years ago to put through the ringer. He still hasn't taken me up on my offer.:why:

Edited by Beastly Backlash

On July 8, 2020 at 9:16 AM, Mike said:

Komodo should not be on that list if distance is your priority. The non-dis-engaging level wind makes that one my choice for bottom fishing and last on my list of casting reels.

Based on your use of all the reels side by side?????

On July 5, 2020 at 10:09 PM, fishhappy said:

I have achieved 100yd casts with all the reels you mention as I used them all on the same rod with same line with same lure. But, yeah you can tune the Komodos for extra distance. My comparisions were done with untuned reels.

The process of tuning a Komodo mainly involves removing the grease from the levelwind, levelwind bearings, idler gear, and spool bearings and relubing with oil. Basically it is what I do with any Abu round reels. I did this to just one of my

Komodos.

All else being equal, I chose the Komodo 471s as they have the strongest design, strongest drag, biggest main gear you can get in a big low pro, best line capacity vs any other 400 sized low pro, and most bullet proof drive train. The down side of all that stainless steel is a very geary feeling reel out of the box. At least until you break those gears in, and then just Wow!

Scoob was right in that the Tranx has the simplest design to open up. The drag is quick too, you can go from zero to max in just a couple turns. The Tranx felt the smoothest hands down, was like silk. Only the Revo Toro Beast felt smoother.

The Lexa has the external mag making it the easiest to adjust on the fly.

2 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I have achieved 100yd casts with all the reels you mention as I used them all on the same rod with same line with same lure. But, yeah you can tune the Komodos for extra distance. My comparisions were done with untuned reels.

The process of tuning a Komodo mainly involves removing the grease from the levelwind, levelwind bearings, idler gear, and spool bearings and relubing with oil. Basically it is what I do with any Abu round reels. I did this to just one of my

Komodos.

All else being equal, I chose the Komodo 471s as they have the strongest design, strongest drag, biggest main gear you can get in a big low pro, best line capacity vs any other 400 sized low pro, and most bullet proof drive train. The down side of all that stainless steel is a very geary feeling reel out of the box. At least until you break those gears in, and then just Wow!

Scoob was right in that the Tranx has the simplest design to open up. The drag is quick too, you can go from zero to max in just a couple turns. The Tranx felt the smoothest hands down, was like silk. Only the Revo Toro Beast felt smoother.

The Lexa has the external mag making it the easiest to adjust on the fly.

Does the casting get any better as the gears break in? Every single Abu I have ever owned I degreased and related the same way, it is really simple, and Im not surprised it would work on the Komodo. 

Do you think there could be any mods to get another 50 yards out of it?  Are there any bearing replacements, for instance, for this reel?

8 hours ago, fishhappy said:

Does the casting get any better as the gears break in? Every single Abu I have ever owned I degreased and related the same way, it is really simple, and Im not surprised it would work on the Komodo. 

Do you think there could be any mods to get another 50 yards out of it?  Are there any bearing replacements, for instance, for this reel?

When the gears break in the free spin and smoothness are incredible, but it will not effect casting distance. The reel has a stainless steel main gear that drives a stainless steel pinion gear which is why there is a geariness right out of the box.

An extra 50yds out of the reel? Casting technique and rod length are the only things that is going to get you there with any of these reels. I run these kind of reels on musky rods mainly, 9ft in length. Mounting any of these reels on something like an 11ft to 12ft surf rod is going to net you more distance quicker then any mod. Relubing the Komodo doesn't hurt though. No need for bearing replacement either, the levelwind runs on two ball bearings already and the spool runs on nothing but bearings too.

Maybe I will try throwing a Komodo on a 12ft heaver just to see what happens, the longest rod I have ever put any of these reels on was a 10ft Penn Battalion.