Steve in Mass

It Was Inevitable - They are Eating Their Own

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

They say they come for the statues first, and then they come for people......

‘That’s just unacceptable’: Several city councilors’ homes were vandalized, apparently in response to budget vote
"Hold us accountable! Express your frustration! But vandalizing our homes is NOT okay!"
  –Craig F. Walker/Globe Staff

The Boston City Council passed the $3.6 billion operating budget amid controversy. 

Homes of several Boston city councilors were vandalized over the weekend, apparently in response to their supporting votes to pass the city’s $3.6 billion operating budget last week amid heated debate, officials said Monday.

Asked about the incidents during a press conference, Mayor Marty Walsh said he heard the vandalism consisted of “glue and paper” on some houses, while other residences received “some other stuff.”

Walsh, who condemned the acts, did not elaborate.

“Vandalism is unacceptable,” the mayor said. “Trying to get a message across by targeting people’s homes and their personal space is wrong.

“City councilors have families,” he added. “Some of them have small children. They have neighbors, and that’s just unacceptable here in the City of Boston.”

The council passed Walsh’s proposed 2021 fiscal year budget last week in an 8-5 vote. Opponents, citing calls to reallocate more police funding into anti-violence and public health initiatives, said the budget fell far short of the changes needed to combat systemic racism and persistent, racial inequalities.

Supporters, however, said passing the budget kept in place notable investments, such as an $18 million increase into affordable housing initiatives and $14 million more into public health programs, among other initiatives.

The budget also cut $12 million, or approximately 20 percent, from the police department’s overtime budget. The money will now be put into trauma and counseling services, mental health services, programs for minority- and women-owned businesses, housing support, and $3 million for strategies being undertaken by the Public Health Commission in addressing racism as a public health crisis, among other efforts.

Council President Kim Janey, who voted against the budget, also denounced the acts of vandalism Monday, writing in a thread of tweets: “Hold us accountable! Express your frustration! But vandalizing our homes is NOT okay!”

“Me taking time to even write this post is a distraction from the larger goal of the transformative change that I believe so many of want to see and are fighting for,” she wrote.

Walsh suggested the person or people responsible for the vandalism read the budget themselves, citing bumps in funding earmarked for recovery services, trauma services, public schools, and other programs.

“We make large investments in a lot of good programming,” he said. “And if that budget didn’t pass last week, we would be in a far different place.

“Again, vandalizing and approaching somebody’s home, I’ve never been a fan of that,” he continued. “Even when I was a labor activist back in the day, I never thought approaching somebody’s home was the right call. People can come here to City Hall if they want if they’re disgruntled about a city councilor or a vote, or (to) the mayor’s office.”

Funny how when it is them they suddenly speak out.............

What this story does not say is that the homes were broken into and the walls spray-painted with the invaders "report card" on the Councillors that voted for the budget. The homes of the 5 that voted against the budget were not touched.

7 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

But vandalizing our homes is NOT okay!"
  –Craig F. Walker/Globe Staff

Of course its ok now.  We've spent the past 2 months hearing about how the rioting and looting are heroic forms of expression.  As long as they are upset enough its OK now.  

Democrats built this.

This election should be interesting. The Bernie crowd doesn’t like Biden, the BLM crowd doesn’t like Biden, Biden doesn’t know what he likes. The freak show of a convention is going to be must watch tv. 

It is all different when it is you getting attacked by the mob you foment.

But, that being said, did you expect Democrats to behave differently?

It comes as no surprise to me that these Democrats think it OK to attack other peoples homes, but cry and complain when it is their homes that are targeted.

I only wish one would have defended their homes with a firearm.

All vandalism and looting should have been called out. It's vile behavior by humans going feral in the anonymity of crowd. Not too different from animals who get into fights at sporting events.

1 min ago, Gamakatsu said:

All vandalism and looting should have been called out. It's vile behavior by humans going feral in the anonymity of crowd. Not too different from animals who get into fights at sporting events.

But, it wasn't.

The Democrats let it grow, and multiply.

Minimized it

Excused it

Gave it room to express itself.

But complain when it affects them. Doesn't that seem odd to you?

Why would they think it couldn't happen to them?

They thought they could control their animals, forgetting that the rioters and looters are just that, animals. Is it really a surprise when a lion tamer gets mauled by his cat?

Trespassers, rioters and looters should be designated fair game under a national castle doctrine executive order.  That is the only solution.  I'm willing to listen to any other "real" solutions anyone may have. 

18 mins ago, dena said:

But, it wasn't.

The Democrats let it grow, and multiply.

Minimized it

Excused it

Gave it room to express itself.

But complain when it affects them. Doesn't that seem odd to you?

Why would they think it couldn't happen to them?

They thought they could control their animals, forgetting that the rioters and looters are just that, animals. Is it really a surprise when a lion tamer gets mauled by his cat?

You left out: PAID FOR IT

17 mins ago, Misled said:

Trespassers, rioters and looters should be designated fair game under a national castle doctrine executive order.  That is the only solution.  I'm willing to listen to any other "real" solutions anyone may have. 

This crap would end immediately if enacted. 

Just now, Fishy Fisher said:

You left out: PAID FOR IT

Good point.

And, paid the bail of those arrested.

How could I be so forgetful, shame on me.

Mustn't let that point get lost in the shuffle when Democrats try to deflect blame.

4 mins ago, dena said:

Good point.

And, paid the bail of those arrested.

How could I be so forgetful, shame on me.

Mustn't let that point get lost in the shuffle when Democrats try to deflect blame.

Bestest analogy: golem

Golems always turn on their masters, who are invariably literal descendants of bolsheviks. 

Vandalized by “glue and paper”. The horror. Can you imagine if they brought out TAPE!

The statues and property throughout this great Country were hit by a bit more than “glue and paper”. 

Marty is a moron.