Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

What do guys do when you get to a spot and see seals? Do you even bother tossing a line or just move on to the next spot?

Seeing this the second you get to the edge of the water is always slightly discouraging...0A17B0BB-B3CA-4868-AD6F-D4D39B1FD242.jpeg.9f2316e3c2e1aff1bf69e8ba4ab8282f.jpeg

6 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

What do guys do when you get to a spot and see seals? Do you even bother tossing a line or just move on to the next spot?

Seeing this the second you get to the edge of the water is always slightly discouraging...0A17B0BB-B3CA-4868-AD6F-D4D39B1FD242.jpeg.9f2316e3c2e1aff1bf69e8ba4ab8282f.jpeg

I’ll fish around seals- it all depends upon how interested they get once I start fishing. If they perk up and start pacing in the water in front of me, then they have us figured out like on the east side of the cape and Nantucket.  But usually they won’t pay much attention. 

By the way- that dead bass probably wasn’t from a seal.  if a seal ate it, it would’ve consumed everything except the head.  Sometimes the head too.

23 mins ago, Fitzy said:

I’ll fish around seals- it all depends upon how interested they get once I start fishing. If they perk up and start pacing in the water in front of me, then they have us figured out like on the east side of the cape and Nantucket.  But usually they won’t pay much attention. 

By the way- that dead bass probably wasn’t from a seal.  if a seal ate it, it would’ve consumed everything except the head.  Sometimes the head too.

Interesting, I thought it looked like a perfect seal bite on the neck.

I was excited as I was walking up to the water because I was seeing a lot of commotion, thought I was seeing bait fish jumping. Ended up being schoolies jumping out of the water...then I saw the seal heads popping up all around... 

41 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

Interesting, I thought it looked like a perfect seal bite on the neck.

I was excited as I was walking up to the water because I was seeing a lot of commotion, thought I was seeing bait fish jumping. Ended up being schoolies jumping out of the water...then I saw the seal heads popping up all around... 

It could have been a seal, but it looks like it’s been dead a while to me.  Of all the times I’ve had seals eat fish off my line, they usually bring the fish to the surface and eat almost all of it. Usually not the head though.

I know there was a dead seal found on monomoy several years back and when they autopsied it, they found either 4 or 5 Hopkins spoons in the belly.  I’m sure it was one of the seals fro Ack where Hopkins are a favorite of surfcasters fishing for blues.  The reason why I bring this up Is because that seal was eating fish head and all.

very well could have been a released fish from someone and went belly up....note the gull tracks in the sand...having lunch till you showed up.

22 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Totally false statement seals are well know for eating only the bellies out of fish and discarding the rest. Especially well fed seals.

When I see seals in an area in my buddies boat, we move on. Caught a tog once with a perfect canine bite in its back. Never had to fight one for a fish on my line but that would really piss me off, the bat would come out. But I suspect they’re pretty tough critters and would likely tear me a new a-hole. 

54 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Totally false statement seals are well know for eating only the bellies out of fish and discarding the rest. Especially well fed seals.

Well that goes against everything I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a LOT of seals eat hooked fish.   Plus that bass was less than 18” judging by the gull foot prints.  So it was a really itty bitty seal- probably a 10lb harbor seal pup.

49 mins ago, Good2Go said:

When I see seals in an area in my buddies boat, we move on. Caught a tog once with a perfect canine bite in its back. Never had to fight one for a fish on my line but that would really piss me off, the bat would come out. But I suspect they’re pretty tough critters and would likely tear me a new a-hole. 

Once in a while you can fight the fish from the seal, but you can’t ever release the fish (or eat it for that matter).  I feel lucky when I get my lure back.