Nicky Da Fish

Drop net or casting net?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Guessing one is for transient bait fish and the other for resident bait fish. Really can't use the drop net with current which will flip it over.

Depends what bait you're looking for.

Spearing, you want a drop (umbrella) net or a small beach seine.  Drop net can work for killies, too, although a trap that you can leave and return to may work better for those, if you have a place to leave it where it won't be stolen.

If you're looking for bunker or mullet, you need a cast net.

I’m too chicken to be the guy on the deep end of the seine, but that is the way to go. I’ve seen guys haul in mullet, shrimp, squid, and spot, when I could only get a few shrimp in a cast net.

Distance is a factor.  You can’t throw a cast net as far as you can walk out a seine.

A drop net is what I use off a pier in fresh water.

59 mins ago, CWitek said:

Depends what bait you're looking for.

Spearing, you want a drop (umbrella) net or a small beach seine.  Drop net can work for killies, too, although a trap that you can leave and return to may work better for those, if you have a place to leave it where it won't be stolen.

If you're looking for bunker or mullet, you need a cast net.

Looking for smaller baits, can you use a seine with only one person? I've some as small as 4x4, I've also seen cast nets with 1/4 mesh. Seems like that would trap killies pretty well.

10 mins ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Looking for smaller baits, can you use a seine with only one person? I've some as small as 4x4, I've also seen cast nets with 1/4 mesh. Seems like that would trap killies pretty well.

Tough to seine with one person, as you need to anchor both ends of the net.  When you xtalk about 4x4, that sounds more like an umbrella net than a seine; 4x4 is a pretty standard umbrella size.

The problem with trying to use a cast net on killes is twofold; cast nets are most effective on fish that school, and killies tend to hang out near the bottom, around sod banks and mussel beds and dock bulkheads, where it's tough to use a cast net and, if you do, you can easily get humg up on the bottom.  Cast nets are best for fish that school in open water, and tend to instinctively head for the surface when spooked, the way that bunker do.  Yes, you can use them on deep bunker schools holding near the bottom, but if the bottom isn't clean, you can run into problems.

I love seines. Grew up seining.  

But I have no one to pull the other side now. :(  my kids are still a bit too small & not strong enough. And I'm only good for a few pulls til I'm exhausted and spent for the day.  

I'm tryin to learn how to throw a cast net.   But suck.  

So until then I'll use drop nets and traps. 

Few years ago I watched a guy use a seine by himself.   One long pole, one short pole. Seine was only like 5-6ft.  Walked out, lowered it to his side, and walked in.  No big hauls but he caught enough bait to fish.  

That got my brain going. 

If you got one end and anchored it with a upright pole a foot or so from the water and you operated the other end. Make half circles.  If ya had a really long seine it might pay out. 

I may try this with my wife. She has MS so she really can't drag. But she can hold a pole in the sand upright!

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

But I have no one to pull the other side now. :(  my kids are still a bit too small & not strong enough. And I'm only good for a few pulls til I'm exhausted and spent for the day.  

Few years ago I watched a guy use a seine by himself.   One long pole, one short pole. Seine was only like 5-6ft.  Walked out, lowered it to his side, and walked in.  No big hauls but he caught enough bait to fish.  

That got my brain going. 

If you got one end and anchored it with a upright pole a foot or so from the water and you operated the other end. Make half circles.  If ya had a really long seine it might pay out. 

I may try this with my wife. She has MS so she really can't drag. But she can hold a pole in the sand upright!

I have good and bad cast net days. There are plenty of videos that make it easier, but practice is a must.

Now days there are easy throw nets with a disc. I have not tried them. If the easy throws are any better than the Betts Old Salt, I might get one.

Hopefully, someone here on SOL will chime in.

@fishhappy  I've been watching YouTube like crazy.  

I went nuts with it about a month ago. Threw it alot.  I have heart issues and put myself into angina attacks.  So I backed off. 

I can almost pancake it on the lawn when I do everything right and the stars aline.  But my meds mess up my short-term memory and I have to watch a video every time to remember how to hold it.   

Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze for a few bunker.   I can cast a weighted treble like a mofo!

1 hour ago, fishhappy said:

I have good and bad cast net days. There are plenty of videos that make it easier, but practice is a must.

Now days there are easy throw nets with a disc. I have not tried them. If the easy throws are any better than the Betts Old Salt, I might get one.

Hopefully, someone here on SOL will chime in.

You should not even attempt to throw at bait till you can pancake in your yard every time with your muscle memory. Once that is accomplished you work on aiming and timing your throw at bait. I do not recommend the ez throw nets. Super gimmick

4 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

That got my brain going. 

Best wishes for your wife. :)