MEB

Meiser 909 CX 7/8 Two Handed Rod

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone have experience fishing Meiser 909 CX 7/8 Two Handed Rod and lines for it?

Edited by MEB

No but my spey chart says 480 to 510 Skagit heads.

There's another site with the words spey and pages in it, no space, dot com.  Ask there and I am sure someone will know.

The 909 series is a specialty rod, I'd call the Meiser shop and talk to Bob himself. Tell him what type of fishing you intend to do and he'll give you a line recommendation for that rod. You also have the option of Steve Godshall, who shares shop space with Meiser. He's a custom line builder who builds lines for all the Meiser rods, or any other two hander for that matter. Both guys are great to talk to, full of valuable info, and will give you the best rod/line pairing for your rod. I have several of Steve's lines, they're great, and arrive quickly in the mail for no more than a line you'd buy at the fly shop. 

For sure, call Bob.  I have that rod, and like about 325-350 grains for two hand overhead casting (roughly a Rio OBS 8 wt).  I just fished it a few days ago though with a Cortland 7/8 wt Int/S9 line that shows a 30’ weight of 275 grains and it worked very well throwing 3” clousers from a jetty.  The rod has a very wide claimed grain window so I guess a lot depends on your style.  When I bought it, Bob indicated it should work well with both 8 and 8 wt Rio OBS lines.  I can confirm that for me it’s great with the 8, but have not found need to try throwing a 9 wt OBS with it.

Two hand overhead casting requires/uses less grains (by around 20-30% or more) than skagit casting.  Hence the discrepancies in the above general recommendations.