wasy

Smoked Pork Butt

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I have a 6lber, no bone

thinking about putting it on the Weber around 10 tonight check at 6 am.

crazy? Never did something over night

wsm, not really worried about over cooking but will two chimneys cut it for 10 hrs trying big green egg charcoal for fist time 

On 7/4/2020 at 4:46 PM, wasy said:

I have a 6lber, no bone

thinking about putting it on the Weber around 10 tonight check at 6 am.

crazy? Never did something over night

On 7/4/2020 at 7:33 PM, JimW said:

Kettle or wsm?  Wsm no problem.  Kettle I’ve always had to feed every couple hours. 

On 7/4/2020 at 7:45 PM, wasy said:

wsm, not really worried about over cooking but will two chimneys cut it for 10 hrs trying big green egg charcoal for fist time 

I have a BGE and certainly do not consider myself skilled at smoking. I seem to have trouble keeping the temp down or keeping it from climbing.

I'd love to hear how your smoke went &how you did it.

Thanks.

JD

Get yourself a Meater or maverick wireless thermometer so you can set alarms on low/high temp.  You’ll sleep better overnight.  

Personally I think overnight is overkill for an 8 lb bone in pork butt so I don't think it'd be necessary for a 6 lb boneless unless you want it for breakfast.

You don't need the smoker to be at 225 for pulled pork; instead try 275-325.  The pork will come out no different and you'll save yourself a ton of time.

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

I have a BGE and certainly do not consider myself skilled at smoking. I seem to have trouble keeping the temp down or keeping it from climbing.

I'd love to hear how your smoke went &how you did it.

Thanks.

JD

I have no trouble keeping and holding a low temp, but come 6 am (put it on at 10pm) the smiler was stone cold, ran out of charcoal. Fired it back up for 2 1/2 hrs and it came out fine

BGE, Wicked, I’ve tried them all and am unimpressed. I’m going back to Kingsford for a consistent long burn, 2 chimneys of Kingsford I can burn 12 hrs all the others need 4 chimneys

Get yourself a kamado.... The charcoal will last all night... I did a brisket under 3-bone-in-pork butts for the 4th... 20 hrs for the butts, and 17 for the brisket, using a BBQ Guru... Fill the basket, and let it go.... I did get up thru the night to check, but that's just OCD :rolleyes:...

Butch

1 hour ago, Midnightpass said:

using a BBQ Guru...

Never seen one but now you've got me interested...  Which model do you have?

18 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

Get yourself a kamado.... The charcoal will last all night... I did a brisket under 3-bone-in-pork butts for the 4th... 20 hrs for the butts, and 17 for the brisket, using a BBQ Guru... Fill the basket, and let it go.... I did get up thru the night to check, but that's just OCD :rolleyes:...

Butch

17 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Thanks Butch,

I've considered one of those for years but never pulled the trigger.

They're not cheap. Would you considerer it good money spent & would you recommend it?

Which model do you have?

Like I said, have trouble keeping temp down and even. I'd most certainly smoke more if I knew I could control it. Always wanted to do a brisket but so many horror stories I've never had the confidance.

JD

4 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Butch,

I've considered one of those for years but never pulled the trigger.

They're not cheap. Would you considerer it good money spent & would you recommend it?

Which model do you have?

Like I said, have trouble keeping temp down and even. I'd most certainly smoke more if I knew I could control it. Always wanted to do a brisket but so many horror stories I've never had the confidance.

JD

22 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Mine is a very old model BBQ Guru( "The Competitor" #0405) that has worked flawlessly for many, many years.... It'll keep the kamado's temp better than most ovens... Usually within 1 or 2 degrees... There are other brands out there, but I have never used them... So I can't comment on them... Also, I haven't used Guru's newer models, and can only hope they are of the same quality... I would like one of the newer ones that have the remote monitor, and a digatal read out... Now I use an old  Maverick Redi-Check ET-73 remote, that I don't like... The remote never worked very well, so I just use it as an accurite, meat and kamado thermometer.... My Kamado is about 18 years old and needs some sealing, so it isn't as steady, and the charcoal doesnt last as long as it used to. But overnight cooks are no problem... With a little TLC it would work as good as new... My Son bought a Kamado Joe, Big Joe last week, and I am recommending a BBQ Guru to him...

Butch

3 mins ago, Midnightpass said:

Mine is a very old model BBQ Guru( "The Competitor" #0405) that has worked flawlessly for many, many years.... It'll keep the kamado's temp better than most ovens... Usually within 1 or 2 degrees... There are other brands out there, but I have never used them... So I can't comment on them... Also, I haven't used Guru's newer models, and can only hope they are of the same quality... I would like one of the newer ones that have the remote monitor, and a digatal read out... Now I use an old  Maverick Redi-Check ET-73 remote, that I don't like... The remote never worked very well, so I just use it as an accurite, meat and kamado thermometer.... My Kamado is about 18 years old and needs some sealing, so it isn't as steady, and the charcoal doesnt last as long as it used to. But overnight cooks are no problem... With a little TLC it would work as good as new... My Son bought a Kamado Joe, Big Joe last week, and I am recommending a BBQ Guru to him...

Butch

Thanks Butch!!!