65 Sea James

Trying to cast a 12 foot Shakespeare Ugly Stik

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I have this 12 foot Shakespeare Ugly Stik 2 piece surf rod. This thing is like trying to swing a tree. The reel that’s on it is a Daiwa  BG8000.  It currently is spooled  with 25 lb mono. I pretty much use this rod for chunking bunker off of a beach. It is very awkward trying to cast with this rod due to its size and weight, I am only able to get about 50 yards out into the surf. While at the same time I see other people with 12 foot rods casting about 150 to 200 yards out into the surf.

I’m not really sure if this specific rod and reel is a bod combo or if I am just using poor casting techniques.

18 hours ago, 65 Sea James said:

I have this 12 foot Shakespeare Ugly Stik 2 piece surf rod. This thing is like trying to swing a tree. The reel that’s on it is a Daiwa  BG8000.  It currently is spooled  with 25 lb mono. I pretty much use this rod for chunking bunker off of a beach. It is very awkward trying to cast with this rod due to its size and weight, I am only able to get about 50 yards out into the surf. While at the same time I see other people with 12 foot rods casting about 150 to 200 yards out into the surf.

I’m not really sure if this specific rod and reel is a bod combo or if I am just using poor casting techniques.

I doubt you see may people casting 150 yards with bait.There are very few who can do it. The rod you have is capable of casting plenty far to catch fish tho. Heavy and cumbersome im sure but its capable of catching.  25 lb mono isn't going to cast great off a spinning reel, But 50 yards is still far enough to catch if you are in the right place.

I assume the rod is spinning? if it is make sure your reel is filled properly-50 yards is far enough-you could get a spare spool and use lighter mono--or go to braid-rreelman

Sure it’s heavy and stiff, and the reel is too. If you can load it up it will cast. In Tommy Farmers hands it might go 150 yards! It’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian.

21 hours ago, 65 Sea James said:

it depend on the action off the rod and casting weight.

if you have rod action 4 oz to 8 oz and try to cast 1 oz,the rod will not load properly ( will not bend ) will cast bad.hard work no distance.you would have to use 4 oz or biger weight to load the rod.loding rod,the rod bend under the weight and the rod  loaded help your cast,cast further and easy.

Ugly stik is know to have softer tip / action. It's rated lighter than it should. Try using lighter weight if possible. 

Pull some of that mono off and put on some 50 lb braid...........If your fishing the beach use an easy / OTG cast.........Make sure your bait is well attached to the hook.........

10 hours ago, Jim McFeeley said:

I'm pretty sure the u.s casting champion Will Nash cast one over 600 ft 

Hi Jim,

Will cast my 12' Ugly stick a distance of 608 feet. He was using his Omoto reel and a 125 gram sinker. He put my 545 feet to shame,

Don

10 hours ago, Don B said:

Hi Jim,

Will cast my 12' Ugly stick a distance of 608 feet. He was using his Omoto reel and a 125 gram sinker. He put my 545 feet to shame,

Don

What made you want to cast the ugly stick that day ? You guys must have been getting bored  with the high end stuff.

On 7/6/2020 at 9:42 AM, Jim McFeeley said:

What made you want to cast the ugly stick that day ? You guys must have been getting bored  with the high end stuff.

It’s like a Huffy toss at a mountain bike race, it just kinda happens. 

On 7/6/2020 at 3:42 AM, Jim McFeeley said:

Will's work brought him to Hawaii and we decided to go to a park for some casting practice. Parks in Hawaii run on the small side and there were some people playing soccer. This forced us to cast across the field instead of the length of the field. Since casting across the width of the field was not challenging to Will, it was time to take out the Ugly Stik.  By Will's fourth cast he mastered the technique required to cast an Ugly Stik and cast 608 feet. It's all about having fun. 

My Ugly Stik is old and probably not the same as today's models. I paid about $70 for the rod, Cabela's sells them today for $74.99. You will want the Extra Heavy model.