65 Sea James

Stuffed Quahogs

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I usually dig my quahogs down in the Narragansett Bay. Usually prefer to get all littlenecks, but when I get topnecks or chowders, I tend to use those to make stuffed quahogs. 
What I do is first steam all the quahogs in a pot until they open. Then I chop off the clam meat and discard the bellies, since they are not good eating. Use a meat chopper or food processor to chop up the clam meat into chunks. 
At the same time I am preparing the clam meat, I am also making some stove top stuffing. With the stuffing, I prefer to add diced onions and peppers. To give the stuffing some flavor, I like to add either bacon chunks or salted pork or sausage. 
once the stuffing is prepared, add clam meat. Then add clam stuffing mixture into the empty quahog shells.

Cook on grill or in oven to crisp it up.

There you have stuffed quahogs.

15 hours ago, 65 Sea James said:

I usually dig my quahogs down in the Narragansett Bay. Usually prefer to get all littlenecks, but when I get topnecks or chowders, I tend to use those to make stuffed quahogs. 
What I do is first steam all the quahogs in a pot until they open. Then I chop off the clam meat and discard the bellies, since they are not good eating. Use a meat chopper or food processor to chop up the clam meat into chunks. 
At the same time I am preparing the clam meat, I am also making some stove top stuffing. With the stuffing, I prefer to add diced onions and peppers. To give the stuffing some flavor, I like to add either bacon chunks or salted pork or sausage. 
once the stuffing is prepared, add clam meat. Then add clam stuffing mixture into the empty quahog shells.

:wag:

15 hours ago, 65 Sea James said:

What I do is first steam all the quahogs in a pot until they open. Then I chop off the clam meat and discard the bellies, since they are not good eating. Use a meat chopper or food processor to chop up the clam meat into chunks

:dismay:

Posted (edited) · Report post

STUFFED QUAHOGS

Steve in Mass

Stuffed clams or quahogs are one of my favorites, but too often when you buy them in a restaurant, supermarket, or even a decent seafood shop they have way too much bread filling and are too light on the clams. Making them yourself is really not that difficult, and you can control the amount of bread, clams, and other fillings you put into them.

In this recipe, I find that you generally need twice as many fresh clams than the amount you are going to stuff. Or, you can supplement the fresh shucked clam meat with fresh minced clams from the supermarket fish counter, or even use some canned clams. The chorico is optional and can be left out, or you can use bacon or linguica as a substitute. If not using hot chorizo, use a couple pinches of hot red pepper flake.

Other additions, if you so desire, can be fined chopped celery or minced mushrooms.

8 Quahogs (chowder clams), about 3 inches across

~1/3 Pound Hot chorizo, finely diced

5-6 Cloves garlic, minced

1 Medium onion, finely diced

1/2 Large red bell pepper, finely diced

3 Scallions, thinly chopped

3 Tablespoons olive oil as needed

3 slices day old white bread (or other bread of equivalent amount), torn into small pieces

Panko bread crumbs as needed

1 Tablespoon dried oregano

Reserved clam juice from shucking the clams, as needed

Old Bay seasoning

Wash the outer shells of the clams, scrubbing the shells with a brush if needed. Open and shuck the clams over a large bowl to catch the juice from shucking. Reserve the clam shells.

Mince the clam meat, and add any liquid on the cutting board to the juice from shucking.

attachment.php?attachmentid=263852

attachment.php?attachmentid=263851&d=124

Add some of the olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the diced chorizo and saute for 3-4 minutes to brown and render the fat.

Add some more olive oil if needed, and then the minced garlic. Saute for about 1 minutes, and then add the onions, red bell pepper, and scallions. Turn the heat to medium, and "sweat" the vegetables for about 4-5 minutes until they are soft and just begin to brown, adding more oil if needed. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool for a few minutes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=263853&d=124

Add the torn bread to a large bowl and add the cooled vegetable and meat mixture. Add in the minced clam meat and the oregano, and combine all well. Add about a palmful of the Panko bread crumbs and mix well. Add some of the reserved clam juice, perhaps about 1/3 of a cup. The amount will vary, as you want the mixture to be wet, but not too soggy. Add more liquid if needed, or if the mixture is too wet, add some more Panko.

attachment.php?attachmentid=263854&d=124

Stuff a few large tablespoons of the mixture into each half of the reserved clam shells. You should have enough mixture to stuff eight shell halves somewhat mounded.

Sprinkle the top of the stuffed shells with some more Panko bread crumbs and some Old Bay seasoning. You can also top with some fresh chives or fresh chopped parsley if desired.

attachment.php?attachmentid=263856&d=124

These can be cooked immediately, or covered and stored in the refrigerator or freezer to cook at a later time.

Drizzle the top of each clam with a small amount of olive oil. Set the clams on a baking dish and bake them in a 425 oven for about 20 minutes or until they are hot thru and the top is a golden brown.

Makes 8 stuffed quahogs.

Edited by Steve in Mass

On 7/5/2020 at 7:14 AM, Steve in Mass said:

STUFFED QUAHOGS

Steve in Mass

Stuffed clams or quahogs are one of my favorites, but too often when you buy them in a restaurant, supermarket, or even a decent seafood shop they have way too much bread filling and are too light on the clams. Making them yourself is really not that difficult, and you can control the amount of bread, clams, and other fillings you put into them.

In this recipe, I find that you generally need twice as many fresh clams than the amount you are going to stuff. Or, you can supplement the fresh shucked clam meat with fresh minced clams from the supermarket fish counter, or even use some canned clams. The chorico is optional and can be left out, or you can use bacon or linguica as a substitute. If not using hot chorizo, use a couple pinches of hot red pepper flake.

Other additions, if you so desire, can be fined chopped celery or minced mushrooms.

8 Quahogs (chowder clams), about 3 inches across

~1/3 Pound Hot chorizo, finely diced

5-6 Cloves garlic, minced

1 Medium onion, finely diced

1/2 Large red bell pepper, finely diced

3 Scallions, thinly chopped

3 Tablespoons olive oil as needed

3 slices day old white bread (or other bread of equivalent amount), torn into small pieces

Panko bread crumbs as needed

1 Tablespoon dried oregano

Reserved clam juice from shucking the clams, as needed

Old Bay seasoning

Wash the outer shells of the clams, scrubbing the shells with a brush if needed. Open and shuck the clams over a large bowl to catch the juice from shucking. Reserve the clam shells.

Mince the clam meat, and add any liquid on the cutting board to the juice from shucking.

attachment.php?attachmentid=263852

attachment.php?attachmentid=263851&d=124

Add some of the olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the diced chorizo and saute for 3-4 minutes to brown and render the fat.

Add some more olive oil if needed, and then the minced garlic. Saute for about 1 minutes, and then add the onions, red bell pepper, and scallions. Turn the heat to medium, and "sweat" the vegetables for about 4-5 minutes until they are soft and just begin to brown, adding more oil if needed. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool for a few minutes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=263853&d=124

Add the torn bread to a large bowl and add the cooled vegetable and meat mixture. Add in the minced clam meat and the oregano, and combine all well. Add about a palmful of the Panko bread crumbs and mix well. Add some of the reserved clam juice, perhaps about 1/3 of a cup. The amount will vary, as you want the mixture to be wet, but not too soggy. Add more liquid if needed, or if the mixture is too wet, add some more Panko.

attachment.php?attachmentid=263854&d=124

Stuff a few large tablespoons of the mixture into each half of the reserved clam shells. You should have enough mixture to stuff eight shell halves somewhat mounded.

Sprinkle the top of the stuffed shells with some more Panko bread crumbs and some Old Bay seasoning. You can also top with some fresh chives or fresh chopped parsley if desired.

attachment.php?attachmentid=263856&d=124

These can be cooked immediately, or covered and stored in the refrigerator or freezer to cook at a later time.

Drizzle the top of each clam with a small amount of olive oil. Set the clams on a baking dish and bake them in a 425 oven for about 20 minutes or until they are hot thru and the top is a golden brown.

Makes 8 stuffed quahogs.

Excellent recipe. Made larger batch. 

Thank you Steve!

A862B142-85D6-4835-BD02-EFD689A735F1.jpeg

They look good. Now I may have to make some, as the ones you buy even from a decent seafood place always are just "eh" at best.

38 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

They look good. Now I may have to make some, as the ones you buy even from a decent seafood place always are just "eh" at best.

Looks and sounds like the way to go, the white bread, not toasted? Would pancetta or prosciutto work instead of the chorizo?

White bread toasted or not, or even bread crumbs. The trick in not too much (that is why store bought always are just eh, they have to much bread filler and not enough clam).

And your other meats would certainly be fine.

Gota tell you guys, been in VA all my life so never really had a REAL 'stuffie'. 40 some years ago my room mates and I at the time would hit the grocery store for cheap sustenance products so we could afford plenty of malt beverages. One of the things you could pack the freezer with cheap that would satisfy hunger at all hours and states of consciousness was  'Matlaws Stuffed Clams' . I cant remember what we paid back then but they were surprisingly cheap. We would go through trays of those things during the course of a week. They were mostly bread as SIM says but they sure took care of the hunger pangs. I am looking forward to trying this recipe Steve to see what the real deal is like!:beers:

4 hours ago, iceberg57 said:

Gota tell you guys, been in VA all my life so never really had a REAL 'stuffie'. 40 some years ago my room mates and I at the time would hit the grocery store for cheap sustenance products so we could afford plenty of malt beverages. One of the things you could pack the freezer with cheap that would satisfy hunger at all hours and states of consciousness was  'Matlaws Stuffed Clams' . I cant remember what we paid back then but they were surprisingly cheap. We would go through trays of those things during the course of a week. They were mostly bread as SIM says but they sure took care of the hunger pangs. I am looking forward to trying this recipe Steve to see what the real deal is like!:beers:

:laugh: Frankly, of store bought stuffed clams, as you said, they are not great, but usually my go to if I happen to see them cheap and want something to throw in the freezer for a snack now and then. :th:

On 7/14/2020 at 9:23 AM, iceberg57 said:

Matlaws are not great.  I like to mix a bit of rye in mine like Matlaws though..stuffies may be one of my favorite apps.  There are some good ones at some restaurants but mostly they suck.