savfish

Replacement Trebles

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Looking for 4/0 trebles to put on some old Gibbs/SS darters and bottles.  What brand is best these days?  Plugs will be used for red drum and hopefully tarpon? 

If price isn't a big issue, I would go with Owner. At least the STX-45. They have some stouter versions too. 

Otherwise, I use some 9626 VMC's. I think if I was targeting  Tarpon, I would go to the VMC 8527, if not the Owners, which would still be my first choice. 

For what it’s worth, I just ordered a bunch of Mustad 5X for all my metal lips, darters, bottle plugs and larger bombers.

I like VMC 9626 as well but they’re not bullet-proof.  Still a good balance of availability, strength, and rust resistance. I’ve used the 5x Mustads as well but found the more rust prone. 

E9D82CF3-B523-4575-BBCD-950F6C302D4C.jpeg

FYI, when you put a replacement treble on, there are 2 ways a treble will hit the lure while swimming.

You don't want the treble hook orientation to naturally dig into the lure. If you turn the treble hook, 180 degrees, the lure will naturally go between the V of the treble.  Briggsy on YouTube explains it better in his "Upgrading Fishing Lures" video.  Not a big deal but there may be less hook rash and it swims better.