RKG1

Gerber River Shorty

13 posts in this topic

I just received a Gerber River Shorty knife.  The straight-edge portion of the blade, on the tip of the opposite side of the serrated edge, is not sharpened. In fact it has an edge that appears to be about 1/16" thick.  Is this supposed to be this way?  If so, what is the purpose of this edge. Ironically the reason I chose this knife is that I thought it had both a serrated edge and sharpened straight edge.  

I am not talking about the blunt tip.  I am aware of that and the purpose.  I am referring to what in photos appears to be a regular straight, sharpened knife edge.  

IDK but the video on amazon only mentions the serrated edge. The straight edge might be a "swedge" to lighten the blade

4 hours ago, RKG1 said:

I just received a Gerber River Shorty knife.  The straight-edge portion of the blade, on the tip of the opposite side of the serrated edge, is not sharpened. In fact it has an edge that appears to be about 1/16" thick.  Is this supposed to be this way?  If so, what is the purpose of this edge. Ironically the reason I chose this knife is that I thought it had both a serrated edge and sharpened straight edge.  

I am not talking about the blunt tip.  I am aware of that and the purpose.  I am referring to what in photos appears to be a regular straight, sharpened knife edge.  

No, it is not sharpened on the side opposite the serrations, it is not a two edged knife. That's not safe if you're trying to slip it between a person and and an entrapping rope or strap. Its primary purpose is a safety knife.

Posted (edited) · Report post

OK, thanks. gellfelx.  I bought that knife after reading your comments here, so I was hoping you would comment.

Edited by RKG1

35 mins ago, RKG1 said:

OK, thanks. gellfelx.  I bought that knife after reading your comments here, so I was hoping you would comment.

Obviously it's your knife, if you want to sharpen that edge, have at it! My 1st river knife was a terrifying double edged dagger, also Gerber I believe. I let coolness trump safety. I either lost it on the river or someone took it from my PDF at a crowded takeout on the Lehigh.

Vintage-Gerber-Blackie-Collins-River-Run

50 mins ago, gellfex said:

Obviously it's your knife, if you want to sharpen that edge, have at it! My 1st river knife was a terrifying double edged dagger, also Gerber I believe. I let coolness trump safety. I either lost it on the river or someone took it from my PDF at a crowded takeout on the Lehigh.

I had a black one of those YEARS ago, completely forgot about it until I saw this picture! I loved that knife, guess I gotta find one for sale now.  Lol

Be careful you don't lose it....maybe even tether it.  I wound up sending mine back as it would fall out of the sheath fairly easily.  I replaced it with Crossriver which is a lot better as it has a sheath lock on the knife, but it's not great.  Not great because the sheath clip snapped when I installed it on my PFD.  I kept the Crossriver as it has a 2nd clip on it, but it's not attached to my PFD the way I want it to be. 

More than once in the heat of battle I’ve found my knife over the side in the drink! But I Always get it back :p

2B4DCB5B-F5DB-46CA-A0FD-FA75B7A4F815.png

4 hours ago, cheech said:

More than once in the heat of battle I’ve found my knife over the side in the drink! But I Always get it back :p

2B4DCB5B-F5DB-46CA-A0FD-FA75B7A4F815.png

Ha yup problem solved.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:45 AM, Frede said:

Be careful you don't lose it....maybe even tether it.  I wound up sending mine back as it would fall out of the sheath fairly easily.  I replaced it with Crossriver which is a lot better as it has a sheath lock on the knife, but it's not great.  Not great because the sheath clip snapped when I installed it on my PFD.  I kept the Crossriver as it has a 2nd clip on it, but it's not attached to my PFD the way I want it to be. 

Yep, My river shorty didn't last a single season before it was just "gone" one day from the sheath.

Besides a safety issue, I believe double edged knives are illegal in some states.

20 hours ago, atv223 said:

Yep, My river shorty didn't last a single season before it was just "gone" one day from the sheath.

Besides a safety issue, I believe double edged knives are illegal in some states.

I submitted a warranty claim with Gerber for the Crossriver sheath....I'll let you all know where that goes.  

I wouldn't want a double edge knife personally.

On 7/4/2020 at 3:28 PM, gellfex said:

Blackie Collins... I found one of those 25 years ago while walking a beach.