JimKu

Bonito close to shore?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I haven’t seen or caught any from shore but I saw a commercial fishing boats catch a few days ago and they had a number of nice sized ones. They said they were fishing off Newport but I don’t know how far out they were. 

So they are in the area so I guess there’s a chance they’ll pop up in shore soon. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

47 mins ago, JimKu said:

I haven’t seen or caught any from shore but I saw a commercial fishing boats catch a few days ago and they had a number of nice sized ones. They said they were fishing off Newport but I don’t know how far out they were. 

So they are in the area so I guess there’s a chance they’ll pop up in shore soon. 

The commercial fish trap companies were always a good indicator of what was showing up in our area.  Back in the day Newport surfcasters would keep tabs with the crews of the local trap boats.  All sorts of useful info about specific gamefish and sometimes more importantly, types of forage bait fish, that were in the area.

Edited by DZ
Spell

I got one on June 15th and a couple more since then.  They’ve been hanging around the ocean front for a few weeks now.

9D7D1E42-6E8B-4315-B4B4-FBDA3FB5A8FC.jpeg

5 hours ago, John P said:

Maybe the Bonita and Albies will save this season. Hope so.

If they don’t end up as mud darts 

On 7/4/2020 at 4:57 PM, ne_dan said:

I got one on June 15th and a couple more since then.  They’ve been hanging around the ocean front for a few weeks now.

9D7D1E42-6E8B-4315-B4B4-FBDA3FB5A8FC.jpeg

Is that a Crocodile spoon?

Anyone familiar with Long Island, when do they usually move in close to shore? Fairly new to the sport. Do the ablies/bonita look for a certain water temperature?

16 mins ago, ne_dan said:

Yeah

Nice. I have only had success for Bonito with Deadly Dicks and teasers. I will break out my old Crocodiles next time. I can't believe I never thought of using them. Major brain freeze for 30 years. Thanks!

If they are in the "right mood", they'll hit lures you wouldnt expect. Seen both bonito and albies taken on big spooks. Ive caught at least a cpl of albies on a 7 inch needlefish plug from shore. Not the norm...but it happens.