How to avoid catching sharks and rays?

Rate this topic

Cerealkilla43

1 hour ago, Stryper Snyper said:

My neighbors dad used to have a special hook for such occasions.   Treble hook with the inside of the bend sharpened. 

Yeah, I hate to even mention stuff like that but I ran into a couple of real a holes from philly on a pier last year who were doing their best to ruin an otherwise nice time by several other groups.  Some people only understand a certain type of lesson.  Shame, but fact.  

21 hours ago, Bluefishmaster said:

Using lures only will greatly reduce your chance of catching sharks and rays. Sometimes you will snag one of them but the chance is very small.

Was bucktailing for fluke one day, when I hook into a solid fish.  I can feel it swimmiong slowly, but I can't move it at all.  Finally I get it headed toward the boat, and with visions of a 10-pound-plus fluke in my head, I ask my wife, in a very excited voice, to hand me the net.  She says that she doesn't know what I'm so excited about, because I only had a skate.  I insisted that it was a fluke, because a skate wouldn't hit a plain bucktail.. She kind of sighed, and reached over to put the net within reach, still insisting that it was a skate.  Finally, I bring the fish to the surface, and got a very pointed "I told you so!"

It was a big skate, well over 10 pounds.  Someone else had hooked it before, and broken it off, and it so happened that the hook on my bucktail happened to find the loop in the snell of the original angler's fluke hook, and stayed there throughout the struggle..

Talk about "the chance is very small..."

But if anyone ever wanted proof that it's impossible to avoid skates altogether, that may be it.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Apologies.  Double post.

Edited by CWitek

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

• 2 weeks later...

Well, dead bait will probably catch the most sharks and rays. I have caught rays with gulp but never sharks. Clams, eels, and bloodworms may also be a good alternative. Also if the bait is suspended on afloat and not right on the bottom it will likely catch fewer rays and sharks but also might reduce the number of striped bass caught.