Cerealkilla43

How to avoid catching sharks and rays?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Catching sharks and Ray's is fun and all but it's kinda annoying when your targeting stripers,blues and just actual fish. Is their a way to avoid catching them off the surf while throwing chunks?

How about ditching the fish food and throw plugs,no sharks or rays,and if you are good stripers and blues will be there.  Haven't ever used live or dead bait and catch plenty of stripers

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

Only way I've found is fish freshwater.  

But even that can be iffy. 

Yes it can be.  In freshwater you've got snakeheads.

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Yes it can be.  In freshwater you've got snakeheads.

Plus bull sharks.  I believe they've been caught in the upper Mississippi river. Like MO & IL area. 

And then there is the Amazon....

But on the flip side, rays & skates are pretty delicious

Edited by PSegnatelli

43 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Plus bull sharks.  I believe they've been caught in the upper Mississippi river. Like MO & IL area. 

And then there is the Amazon....

But on the flip side, rays & skates are pretty delicious

The only time I ate a ray was on an eat what you catch or starve excursion. I still remember It being awful even when the day was my only meal for a day.

The only time I did not catch a ray was when I used 2 inch foam cigar floats about 4 inches up from the hook on the leader -not a single one.  If sharks are there, you are catching sharks, if it’s a 1/2” you will catch sharks same as heads or chunks. This year on a small shrimp piece and 1/0 hook my 5’10 15 year old son caught a bonnet head stretching from his finger tips to the middle of his chest. We were purposely trying to avoid sharks.

like posters said try plugs, I’ve never had rays strike plugs, but sharks will strike metals, and although I have never caught a shark on top waters, there are guys on this site that do.

I have been fishing a pier in Brooklyn that there is no ethics among fellow fishermen.. If I hook up a shark or skate and it starts to run the fellow fishermen don't get out of the way..They give you no space to fish the shark or skate so most of the time you lose the battle...

On 7/4/2020 at 1:01 PM, sytheteacher said:

I have been fishing a pier in Brooklyn that there is no ethics among fellow fishermen.. If I hook up a shark or skate and it starts to run the fellow fishermen don't get out of the way..They give you no space to fish the shark or skate so most of the time you lose the battle...

Old braid, old rod and reel . Cast across all of their lines.  with a hilo rig in which you have bucktails instead of hooks.  It'll helicopter nicely.  Rinse.  repeat.  

2 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

You have to clean the skate as soon as you catch them .they may pee thru their wings 

And ice them down well.

On 7/6/2020 at 8:53 AM, 55555s said:

Old braid, old rod and reel . Cast across all of their lines.  with a hilo rig in which you have bucktails instead of hooks.  It'll helicopter nicely.  Rinse.  repeat.  

My neighbors dad used to have a special hook for such occasions.   Treble hook with the inside of the bend sharpened.