The Riddler

Carrying a Portable Strobe/Beam

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

A friend of mine found a strobe on Amazon. I thought it was a great idea. Got it last week and this week I have used this strobe 3 times. I was in a position to use it since a boat was moving fast and "shifty". One blast and it lit up the boater with 3 occupants and he immediately changed course.  This is while having my standard Hobie Light and strobe on PFD.  You either blend into the urban shoreline or this guy is blinded. 10,000 watts works when you need it.  Waterproof and rechargeable. 

D87B15D3-E55F-4886-99DC-5EFD7E2888B7.jpeg

36597412-CEA3-4003-B0FA-F85194A06361.png

Edited by The Riddler

I like it, anything that keeps you alive out there is worth it :th:

Quick story;

I put this 18 x 18 red flag used for long loads i got from home depot on my light pole,  pretty visible i found out....

I'm out fluking,  I moved outside the channel as i see this boat  coming, he's a good distance away so i have time to reposition, ok now im in 18" of water.... he's cranking right at me im like wtf? So i turn sideways to show him my profile ..... now he's heading into a few feet of water im :headscratch: trying to figure out what this guy is doing :why:

So now he's up on the  shoal stuck trying to get off.... shortly after he gets off & i float by & mention how bad the shoaling is this year,  he replies " honestly...  i thought you were a bouy & i was steering around you till you turned sideways " now im feeling bad for this guy,  thought i was a bouy :dismay:

At least he saw me from a good distance away....:D

Excellent idea, they probably don’t know what the heck that is. Police, coast guard, Royal Navy, lol.

I overstayed my welcome this morning and by 9am an armada was steaming toward the inlet rocking my Revo. At least one fellow had the decency to wave from his three story high ship as his wake bobbed me like a cork.

Night fishing is a whole different world.

I spent the majority of my Kayak Striped Bass fishing away from people. Albacore is really the only consistent time I come across boaters. Now that Bass are shrinking or are somewhere else and the pods are concentrated I am finding myself around more folks and more boaters with no lights on cruising across bays. I was getting towed earlier this week and got propped, lost the fish and had to retie.  Not fast enough to grab the light out of the crate.  After that experience I left the light in my lap. Thinking about it the last few days even with the light it may not be a bad idea to find another group of fish.  Less fish maybe, less competition, and less anxiety. 

Also, I know through the years there has been talk to never look like a boat.  Well, I think I am going to debate that now. The 360 degree white lights we use I feel blend us in at Urban Fishing spots. It is not a boaters intention to run at us. For cheap insurance if I am forced out into these higher traffic areas I am going to have to go all out to be seen. I think Navigation Lights is another way I may go. 

DE18D68F-56F5-4B69-A209-B89DD5C090DF.png

I recently got a revo 13 and I’m working on getting geared up for night fishing for stripers and I’m leaning towards some type of navigation light like those. I was talking to an EPO at my work the other day about the requirements and he said that it’s not required but he think is it’s a good idea to have them because it gives extra visibility and shows your direction of travel. For the $13 I think the piece of mind is well worth it

Good idea on the navigation lights. The newer LED stuff is inexpensive, lightweight, and long on battery life, which makes it so much easier to add these kinds of lights now. 

I just got the nav lights. Will try it out tomorrow night and see how it works.

Years ago I bought a kayak and look up the regs. I can’t find it now or don’t remember if it was mass or New Hampshire. I remember it saying you needed a flag During day and navigation lights in the harbor at night. It stuck in my head cause I’ve never seen a single kayak with a flag ever.

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

I just got the nav lights. Will try it out tomorrow night and see how it works.

Mind letting us know how they are after you try them? I’m very interested and might buy some too

On 7/4/2020 at 8:37 AM, The Riddler said:

The 360 degree white lights we use I feel blend us in at Urban Fishing spots.

You got that right! In NY Harbor with lights 360 degrees around one more little white light means nothing. It would be nice if the CG made a new ruling for strobes of certain flash frequency or color so we could use them but not be confused for navigation or emergency usage.  I like it when bikes use flashing headlights, I know exactly what that light is then.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Effing choppy out tonight.  The new lights work fine.  Took a ride with the lady. She let me fish for a couple of hours while she stayed on the beach.  She said she could see me easily. The bass liked the lights too. They were hammering squid tonight. 

CBFBA0BB-E667-4566-B2D0-7F474B2AF15D.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler