Livefreeordie

I got a Perception Pilot....

3 posts in this topic

I got a Perception Pilot 12.5. Perhaps not the best yak to get, but I could afford it, and Amazon delivered it. I didn't use it for 2 weeks while I figured out how to rig it and transport it. I've had wind and weather issues almost every time out, but on the few occasions that lightning didn't come too close, or an unpredicted wind came out of nowhere, I've had a blast. Tube and worm has produced daytime as well as just trolling lures at night. I've caught a few fish sight casting to swirls, but most of my non-trolling fish have come by imitating what I would do surfcasting, like casting across the current in an inlet (but now I can try several angles). My biggest yak striper so far has been 26", and biggest blue was maybe 18", and I got a 12" porgie on tube n worm. Anyhow, I like it as much as surfcasting already, but need to learn how to handle the fish I catch. 2x now, while holding fish up by leader, the line has slipped, the fish falls, and the hooks get impaled in my hand. I think I need to immediately use the gripper, and lip the fish, before lifting it out of water. I'm totally gonna flub it up when I finally get a big fish. I think the issue is that the fish isn't as tired when I get it to the kayak as it would be if I was flinging a lure 60 yards while wading. OMG, I can't wait for October....I'm just gonna sit on top of pods of big bass, and I know where. 

I have one I bought used in NY. I use it atleast once a week here in FL.

Look at YouTube and change your rudder and rudder cables.

Other than that its a great yak

14 hours ago, reelfire said:

I have one I bought used in NY. I use it atleast once a week here in FL.

Look at YouTube and change your rudder and rudder cables.

Other than that its a great yak

This is good advice, and already on my 'to do list'. On my first trip out I noticed the steering/rudder system could/should be improved. My first priorities were to get rigged (sonar, gear, lights, etc) and catch some fish. Now that that's mostly done, I will start improvements like you mentioned.

Currently, I cannot hold anything close to a straight line with this rudder system. I over-correct this way, then over-correct that way, especially in wind and/or current. But still, what an awesome improvement over trying to fish, paddle, and stay in position with my other 10.5 sit-in. I'll still use that boat for pond fishing, because 45 manageable pounds is great to just pull off my truck and throw into any little water I suspect might hold largemouth.