drmevo

Z-Man Elaztech

24 posts in this topic

I know this stuff has been on the market for awhile but yesterday was my first time trying it in the form of the Swimmerz 6” paddle tail. First impressions are very positive - I got well over 2 dozen fish on one bait and it was still like new, perfectly on my jig head at the end of the day. The action is really good - better than most other paddle tails I have. 
I know Hogy, Sluggo and home-poured plastics get a lot of discussion here, but has anyone had luck with these, especially at night? I want to try the larger baits they make in this material - I was pretty blown away by the action and durability. They’re expensive, but since they don’t tear like plastisol I think they’ll end up being worth it. 

Use them a lot in fresh water (ned rig) and agree they last a long time compared to other plastics. Never tried any of their stuff in salt. You probably know this but don't mix them with other plastics because u will have a mess on your hands.

25 mins ago, cweed said:

Use them a lot in fresh water (ned rig) and agree they last a long time compared to other plastics. Never tried any of their stuff in salt. You probably know this but don't mix them with other plastics because u will have a mess on your hands.

I’ve used the ned rigs too but didn’t even realize they were a special type of plastic. I did see something about not mixing them with other plastics but it’s worth pointing out for anyone reading. 

For a little while I was trolling this next to a tube and worm and I was getting bit on the Z-Man 2-1 over the tube. 

The bigger the Zman plastic, the more buoyant they are; you might need heavier weights to get them to the right depth. Elastech floats like a cork, and you can make them to very interesting things on a carolina/mojo rig.  

I use z-man streakz's all the time, superglued on a jig head they just won't quit, i can  get weeks out of one bait....

These are the 5",  Top one is the 3.75" for when they're on the tiny bait. Ive taken everything from schoolies on up to 30# class bass on these baits...

Salt impregnated  Versions will keep it down better than the regular type.

Bottom 2 are from last fall those are 1/2 & 3/4 oz jigheads, they took me all the way from mid November thru early December, not just a few trips either... the 8" version is killer,  lost my last one last week... more are on the way ..

20200703_144335.jpg.3d4c053cbe5dae37151fbebcb0428353.jpg

In freshwater I  have used the desiel minnow on my chatterbait's, you'll get sick of seeing the same trailer before it gets destroyed..

With all these z- man baits,  obviously you have to keep them separate from other rubber but i'd suggest keeping them lying as straight as possible in storage,  they will take a funky shape if they're stored any other way ....

I really like Z-Man products and I use them a lot. The one complaint I have is that they don’t store very well. They can’t be stored with any other type of plastics and they deform rather easily if they’re not stored in the bag properly. It’s not really a big deal. Just have to take a little bit of care when putting them away. It doesn’t deter me from using them!

I dont like them that much. They seem to be picky on jig heads and you cant mix them with other plastics, or they melt.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have completely change over to ZMan for all soft stuff.... (except for a few Storm Shads) The stuff is awesome, a ton of types, a ton of colors and it works!!!!

Check out this thread, a lot of discussion on Zman.

Edited by Inshore

4 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

I dont like them that much. They seem to be picky on jig heads and you cant mix them with other plastics, or they melt.

What do you mean by picky on jig

heads? The one I used threaded on just fine, and didn’t really budge over many, many fish. The mixing thing doesn’t really bother me given the durability and action.

As mentioned in the other thread, you want to pinch the head of the zman and pull it over the keeper barb. If you push it onto the keeper like regular plastics, it will bunch up and not lay right. 

On 7/3/2020 at 11:56 PM, Joser said:

Anyone try the doormatadors yet? They really seem like they would work well on a jig for fluke

I’m a fan of the gulp 6” grubs but the tails just dont last long. I’m sure that won’t be the case for the DoormatadorZ. Bought a bunch of them in assorted colors and have yet to try them but I plan to soon. I think they’ll be killer.

On another note, the diezel minnow is one of my fav soft plastics. I do agree w the others and storing them. Kind of a pain. Oh well..

1 hour ago, Bri in RI said:

I’m a fan of the gulp 6” grubs but the tails just dont last long. I’m sure that won’t be the case for the DoormatadorZ.

They will last forever and be about 25% as effective as the gulp grubs. That's the sad reality of fluke and gulp lol. 

3 hours ago, buddha162 said:

They will last forever and be about 25% as effective as the gulp grubs. That's the sad reality of fluke and gulp lol. 

Gulp is in a league all by itself. It has no competition. There might be something better but I haven’t found it yet.

2 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

Gulp is in a league all by itself. It has no competition. There might be something better but I haven’t found it yet.

They need to bring back the old formula that wasn't so soft