HuyHavoc

Young angler wanting to build a surf rod and hope to gain some knowledge

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, HuyHavoc said:

In terms of specifically the canal, What is your experience with the XRA 1261 blank? What am i going to be expecting or looking forward for in that blank? Other than the old school GSBs i see people use in my area I am kind of in the dark with blanks from lamiglas. I understand that when it comes to jigging rods i would be looking at a moderate fast action rod unlike the moderate rods of typical surf rods but please correct me if I may be wrong

Thank you!

The blank (XRA 126 1MH)  itself is one piece 10'6" and moderate fast, perfect for jigging. It is rated 2-6 oz but I would say the sweet spot is somewhere around 2-5 oz. It's probably more parabolic than any rod your used to fishing and when you hook up you'll be surprised by just how deep into the butt the blank bends. You can really lean on a fish in the current with that rod. 

I also throw the XSRA1322 down the ditch. Its a great rod for topwaters, Polaris and pencils on the ditch and again very parabolic.

If want a jigging rod and either cant find an XSRA blank or don't want a one piece rod I would suggest you look into the ODM Jigster. At this point I prefer USA made Lami products but there's no doubt the ODM is a beast of a jigging rod and depending it might be more convenient with a 50/50 split.

I'll also once again recommend and back up @Wire For Fire when it comes to the GSB 1321. That blank will cover you in most surf situations, especially as he said if you build it light to your specifications. To put it in perspective I fished a week in Montauk and never touched another rod. It will handle everything from a 1 oz bucktail to a heavy 4 oz bottle. It's moderate enough to throw eels and has the power to turn even the largest bass in the boulders. On Cape Cod the majority of my fishing is split between a 1321M and a cut down 1201L.

2 hours ago, HuyHavoc said:

Is there one that you may recommend me trying over the rest? considering i am looking for a setup effective for the canal is there one you would recommend?

Besides that i would love to try the other centuries. never really got a change to have one in hand.

The 10'6" Ron Arra is an awesome Canal rod. It was designed just for that purpose.  We worked hand in hand with Ron designing it. Also the Sling Shot 1328, 1209 and 1329 all shine at the Canal. 

8 hours ago, HuyHavoc said:

I gotta say ODM makes some legit rods. Love my DNA and wouldn't expect anything less for any of their other rods. How you liking it though?

I have the 9’ Genesis, and the FrontierX, and i love them both. I’m a die hard Lami guy, and highly agree with the suggestion of the 1201M, but can tell you there are some incredibly strong, and lighter blanks available to you. Take people up on offers to test different blanks, like AFMike did. I did this a few times, and it greatly narrows down some of the blanks you are considering, and will also give you ideas on the different guide layouts. Good luck in your search!

On 7/3/2020 at 10:47 PM, HuyHavoc said:

Im curious what is your go to setup for that area of fishing? I know that there is a tool for every different condition but i guess for the sake of the canal, throwing stick shads, pencils, and jigging big jigs would primarily what i would be focusing on.

Also, in terms of a low profile build, it's not really the blank that i want to be low profile. i understand that if im going to fish there its gonna be a heavy rod which means its gonna be a fairly thick blank and thats to be expected. Its just that im going min max my build to where i try to keep the seat and the grips to being as low profile as possible. thin grips like a heat shrink one and a low profile seat. just some things that are pretty much set in stone in terms of setup.

My big plug rod is a 11' cts vapor trail 3-6 1-piece. It really only goes up to 5oz in my opinion. I never throw anything over  4 anyways except maybe lobbing a huge eel.

I don't fish the canal anymore, but my "canal jig rod" is a xra 1261mh conventional. I also would use this rod if I ever went chunking. I don't have any spin rods heavy enough for 9" shads or  5-6oz jigs. Honestly I found myself using 2-4oz jigs mostly at the canal with my plugging rod.

For your grips and seat it sounds like you know what you want. Remember, the seat needs to fit your reel foot. Maybe an 18 will fit your blank, but I'll bet you will like the way your reel fits and feels in your hand better in a 20. A 20 is still pretty low diameter. I prefer Fuji nps seats with the taper forward as I hold the reel stem between my pinky and ring finger and it feels better this way. If you want the lowest diameter grips just shrink right over the blank is the ticket. If this rod will get rough treatment rock hopping then I think a layer of cork tape under the shrink is worth the bulk penalty just for a little extra durability. I generally like to put a layer of cork tape under the shrink tube for the foregrip but every build is different and you have to make a nice transition from the seat to the grips.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:49 PM, HuyHavoc said:

Whats your experience with that blanks? What are you mainly working? What reel did u pair with it? Im just curious for perspective if you dont mind me asking. Will definitely take this into consideration as well as the rest of the blanks mentioned here

Everything from mag darters and sp to heavy bucks and big top water . I use mine with z-25 and sometimes vsb 150 

10 hours ago, marty_mccarty said:

My big plug rod is a 11' cts vapor trail 3-6 1-piece. It really only goes up to 5oz in my opinion. I never throw anything over  4 anyways except maybe lobbing a huge eel.

I don't fish the canal anymore, but my "canal jig rod" is a xra 1261mh conventional. I also would use this rod if I ever went chunking. I don't have any spin rods heavy enough for 9" shads or  5-6oz jigs. Honestly I found myself using 2-4oz jigs mostly at the canal with my plugging rod.

For your grips and seat it sounds like you know what you want. Remember, the seat needs to fit your reel foot. Maybe an 18 will fit your blank, but I'll bet you will like the way your reel fits and feels in your hand better in a 20. A 20 is still pretty low diameter. I prefer Fuji nps seats with the taper forward as I hold the reel stem between my pinky and ring finger and it feels better this way. If you want the lowest diameter grips just shrink right over the blank is the ticket. If this rod will get rough treatment rock hopping then I think a layer of cork tape under the shrink is worth the bulk penalty just for a little extra durability. I generally like to put a layer of cork tape under the shrink tube for the foregrip but every build is different and you have to make a nice transition from the seat to the grips.

A lot of people I fish with who are heading to the canal pretty much jig between 2-5 oz. Im kind of piggy backing off their experience as a point of reference to an extent and was wondering if i could get away with a rod between 2-6 rating. i was thinking of sticking to a reel seat similar if not the same one that ODM uses on their products. i believe its close to the one u are describing because on my DNA paired with my vs150, i hold the rod and reel between my middle and ring or pinky and ring. i live very close to my builder and am able to meet him at his shop to test all the seats available hopefully.

9 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Everything from mag darters and sp to heavy bucks and big top water . I use mine with z-25 and sometimes vsb 150 

Off topic question but how are you liking your zeebaas? compared to the vs what are your personal pros and cons for each reel?