HuyHavoc

Young angler wanting to build a surf rod and hope to gain some knowledge

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I'm a young angler and been fishing since I was 5 years old. Now that i'm 19 going on 20, i've experience a pretty good variety of fishing in the northeast and down in Florida and have recently fell in love with surf fishing and the gear that needs to be used with it. I liked the challenge of landing large fish from land. I gave me a sense of accomplishment that I am sure many others also share. Besides all that, I want to hear about what everyone else is using and their experiences with the setup they use either their home waters or specifically the Cape Cod Canal. I fish my home waters in New Jersey so the equipment difference is going to be drastically different which is something I was expecting. 

I am currently using an ODM 9ft 0.5 oz to 3.5 oz paired with a Van Stall VSX150 bailess and is doing wonders for me in New Jersey and is going to probably be my setup for Florida when i take trips down there (might be saving up for a surf setup for florida with the same rod). I am currently looking for a blank that would be around 10ft-11ft suitable for throwing larger plugs, eels, jigs and possibly able to handle the canal. I know trying to make a setup for things back home and it to be usable for the canal is not an easy task and would be seen as being very unreasonable but in a sense I like my rods to be versatile so I can be prepared to fish anywhere up and down the coast. 

In detail, something that is 10ft-11ft that can handle 2-10 oz would be preferable (I fish with guys that use rods 2-6oz and would like to be in that spectrum). I've been researching blanks from Black Hole, Lamiglas, ODM, and blanks from RH Customs rods which is a builder I may be working with. I would like to use Fuji K guides on the blank in a 8 guide setup similar to my ODM (haven't decided on which guides yet), a low profile reel seat that would fit another vs or maybe the new BG MQ (might get a larger VS that the build will be based off on but will use a higher gear ratio reel for canal). and a grip that isnt too thick. I like my rods to have the smallest profile possible and keep it as light as possible without sacrificing power.

All I am really interested in is people's experience with fishing the canal, experiences fishing their favorite custom builds, experiences with rod building, and anything you would like to share that relates to the topic. I am young and I love to learn from people and their idea and perspectives in the sport. Fishing and the equipment involved in the fish they intend to target is something I love to discuss. Feel free to give me your two cent and share your experiences with me and maybe others could learn as well. 

Thank you!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Plainly put your not going to find a blank that will cover both the beaches and the canal well. You won't even find a single good " do it all blank" for fishing the ditch.

One of your best bets for flexibility in the surf would be a Lamiglass 1321M. It will cover eels, bucktails and jigs, and a range of plugs. You can also use it for throwing topwaters and swimmers at the ditch.

If your more focused specifically on eels and plugs look into the 1201L and 1201M blanks.

If you want a rod for jigging the canal I would try to find a XRA 1261.

Edited by Sandbar1

If 1 piece isn't a problem and you like a more moderate action, the lamis mentioned above are great for your large plugging/eeling duties. Not really the optimal canal jigging rods but they will get by in a pinch if you are only there once in a while. Also made in USA which is more important to me now than ever. Gsb 120 1m and 132 1m, xra's 1205 126 and 1322 are the ones to consider. Stay away from 2 piece lamis from the gsb and xra series, the ferrules are not up to modern standard and the action ain't the same as 1 piece.

Now, you mentioned liking a low profile blank.... You need to look elsewhere than lamiglas if that is your priority. century, odm, cts have blanks that are narrower. Also 2 piece with excellent ferrules. Don't worry about blank weight when choosing between blanks, a couple grams or even ounces is not going to kill you on a heavy duty rod. The century slingshots are very nice and have become popular at the canal. If I remember right, 1327 if plugging, 1328 mix of heavy plugs and jigs, 1329 heavy jigging.

If you are falling in love with surfcasting you are going to end up with a lot of rods. Don't try to get a do it all rod, build one at a time for a specific need. After a few years you will have all your bases covered in spades.

16 hours ago, HuyHavoc said:

Hey everyone,

I'm a young angler and been fishing since I was 5 years old. Now that i'm 19 going on 20, i've experience a pretty good variety of fishing in the northeast and down in Florida and have recently fell in love with surf fishing and the gear that needs to be used with it. I liked the challenge of landing large fish from land. I gave me a sense of accomplishment that I am sure many others also share. Besides all that, I want to hear about what everyone else is using and their experiences with the setup they use either their home waters or specifically the Cape Cod Canal. I fish my home waters in New Jersey so the equipment difference is going to be drastically different which is something I was expecting. 

I am currently using an ODM 9ft 0.5 oz to 3.5 oz paired with a Van Stall VSX150 bailess and is doing wonders for me in New Jersey and is going to probably be my setup for Florida when i take trips down there (might be saving up for a surf setup for florida with the same rod). I am currently looking for a blank that would be around 10ft-11ft suitable for throwing larger plugs, eels, jigs and possibly able to handle the canal. I know trying to make a setup for things back home and it to be usable for the canal is not an easy task and would be seen as being very unreasonable but in a sense I like my rods to be versatile so I can be prepared to fish anywhere up and down the coast. 

In detail, something that is 10ft-11ft that can handle 2-10 oz would be preferable (I fish with guys that use rods 2-6oz and would like to be in that spectrum). I've been researching blanks from Black Hole, Lamiglas, ODM, and blanks from RH Customs rods which is a builder I may be working with. I would like to use Fuji K guides on the blank in a 8 guide setup similar to my ODM (haven't decided on which guides yet), a low profile reel seat that would fit another vs or maybe the new BG MQ (might get a larger VS that the build will be based off on but will use a higher gear ratio reel for canal). and a grip that isnt too thick. I like my rods to have the smallest profile possible and keep it as light as possible without sacrificing power.

All I am really interested in is people's experience with fishing the canal, experiences fishing their favorite custom builds, experiences with rod building, and anything you would like to share that relates to the topic. I am young and I love to learn from people and their idea and perspectives in the sport. Fishing and the equipment involved in the fish they intend to target is something I love to discuss. Feel free to give me your two cent and share your experiences with me and maybe others could learn as well. 

Thank you!

Where in NJ are you located. I'd be happy to.meet up and let you test cast a bunch of rods

1321 with Ti guides in the KR layout. Guide spacing and material can make a large difference. 

I ordered the guides and put them on a blank myself to save money and weight. As long as you aren’t into the fancy looking wraps, its quite easy to strap on some guides and end up with a very nice set up for not that much money. 

Good luck!

6 hours ago, AFMike said:

Where in NJ are you located. I'd be happy to.meet up and let you test cast a bunch of rods

I am not willing to openly tell u my location and am not able to pm anyone right at this moment but basically south jersey in the winter and summer and north fall and spring due to school. Once i am able to work something out with private means of communication I will disclose some information with you. 

Besides that, what do you have that i may be able to try?

13 mins ago, HuyHavoc said:

I am not willing to openly tell u my location and am not able to pm anyone right at this moment but basically south jersey in the winter and summer and north fall and spring due to school. Once i am able to work something out with private means of communication I will disclose some information with you. 

Besides that, what do you have that i may be able to try?

I'm in South Jersey, down by Sea Isle and Avalon. 

I have pretty much every Century there is. You're welcome to test cast anyone you like.

16 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Plainly put your not going to find a blank that will cover both the beaches and the canal well. You won't even find a single good " do it all blank" for fishing the ditch.

One of your best bets for flexibility in the surf would be a Lamiglass 1321M. It will cover eels, bucktails and jigs, and a range of plugs. You can also use it for throwing topwaters and swimmers at the ditch.

If your more focused specifically on eels and plugs look into the 1201L and 1201M blanks.

If you want a rod for jigging the canal I would try to find a XRA 1261.

I understand what I am asking for is not a reasonable thing to consider when building a rod. I just was wondering if there was a possibility where I can use a rod for more than one purpose.

In terms of specifically the canal, What is your experience with the XRA 1261 blank? What am i going to be expecting or looking forward for in that blank? Other than the old school GSBs i see people use in my area I am kind of in the dark with blanks from lamiglas. I understand that when it comes to jigging rods i would be looking at a moderate fast action rod unlike the moderate rods of typical surf rods but please correct me if I may be wrong

Thank you!

12 hours ago, marty_mccarty said:

If 1 piece isn't a problem and you like a more moderate action, the lamis mentioned above are great for your large plugging/eeling duties. Not really the optimal canal jigging rods but they will get by in a pinch if you are only there once in a while. Also made in USA which is more important to me now than ever. Gsb 120 1m and 132 1m, xra's 1205 126 and 1322 are the ones to consider. Stay away from 2 piece lamis from the gsb and xra series, the ferrules are not up to modern standard and the action ain't the same as 1 piece.

Now, you mentioned liking a low profile blank.... You need to look elsewhere than lamiglas if that is your priority. century, odm, cts have blanks that are narrower. Also 2 piece with excellent ferrules. Don't worry about blank weight when choosing between blanks, a couple grams or even ounces is not going to kill you on a heavy duty rod. The century slingshots are very nice and have become popular at the canal. If I remember right, 1327 if plugging, 1328 mix of heavy plugs and jigs, 1329 heavy jigging.

If you are falling in love with surfcasting you are going to end up with a lot of rods. Don't try to get a do it all rod, build one at a time for a specific need. After a few years you will have all your bases covered in spades.

Im going to be leaning more towards getting a 2 piece blank. With ever developing technology i believe that having a 2 piece blank nowadays is just as effective as having 1 piece blank. With that being said, yes I do like more of a moderate action of rod. I know that for jigging a moderate fast action rod is more ideal and I am totally okay with that. Im curious what is your go to setup for that area of fishing? I know that there is a tool for every different condition but i guess for the sake of the canal, throwing stick shads, pencils, and jigging big jigs would primarily what i would be focusing on.

Also, in terms of a low profile build, it's not really the blank that i want to be low profile. i understand that if im going to fish there its gonna be a heavy rod which means its gonna be a fairly thick blank and thats to be expected. Its just that im going min max my build to where i try to keep the seat and the grips to being as low profile as possible. thin grips like a heat shrink one and a low profile seat. just some things that are pretty much set in stone in terms of setup.

14 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

132-1m gets my vote . Build lite . Maybe even few inches off the butt . My personal fav rod 

Whats your experience with that blanks? What are you mainly working? What reel did u pair with it? Im just curious for perspective if you dont mind me asking. Will definitely take this into consideration as well as the rest of the blanks mentioned here

3 hours ago, Mack26 said:

10’6” ODM Frontier X

I gotta say ODM makes some legit rods. Love my DNA and wouldn't expect anything less for any of their other rods. How you liking it though?

1 hour ago, AFMike said:

I'm in South Jersey, down by Sea Isle and Avalon. 

I have pretty much every Century there is. You're welcome to test cast anyone you like.

Is there one that you may recommend me trying over the rest? considering i am looking for a setup effective for the canal is there one you would recommend?

Besides that i would love to try the other centuries. never really got a change to have one in hand.

Ah, nice to see you here Huy. The century slingshot is a great option for the canal, I've been using the ODM Nex1 for a bit now and it seems to have held perfect for everyday use here in the Jersey waters but IMO capable enough to handle fish in the canal. I would especially consider looking at the (10ft, 1-5) and a canal stick being the (11ft, 2-6) or if you want a really heavy stick the (11ft, 3-8) should do great for the ditch.