Joser

Hobie outback cracked

53 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, SlackTideBri said:

If they were to mold in reinforcement material, wouldn't it need the same thermal expansion rate as the plastic? Like rebar and concrete for example. 

This is a good point but I am no engineer. They did mold in brass where the low position for the seat is and this was done to reinforce that area.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone see this before...the 1st is inside the hull, 2nd is the outside , its same crack at the front of the drive well. Tough spot to repair..Also finding  5 or 6 cracks 1/2 " cracks like in the 3rd photo....is it possible these are responsible for about 2-3 quarts of water in the hull on my last couple of trips in choppy water..  I'm trying marine goop as a repair.

IMG_1507.jpeg

IMG_1345.jpeg

IMG_1523.jpeg

Edited by gonfishin
typo

I would try plastic welding the cracks. It’s not an easy fix. I would research plastic welding on the inter web to find out how best to do that. What year Outback?

9 hours ago, gonfishin said:

IMG_1345.jpeg

The sail mast has always been an Achilles heel. That area takes all the hits, drops, and pedal drive flex. They should lose that feature unless one orders it specifically.

The Outback is a 2012...we did some plastic welding...theres a lot to do and they are fairly fine cracks, so getting the HDPE material in the crack is tough with significantly increasing the size of the crack. After plastic welding  I put an additional  large patch over the 2 cracks near the drive , we'll see what happens. The other cracks are now covered in a somewhat heavy layer of marine goop. 

Got the call yesterday afternoon that the hull came in. Not sure if the hull was shipped separately or if it was placed in the mass order for the store