Joser

Hobie outback cracked

52 posts in this topic

So I never thought it would happen to me but after a great day of fishing, I found a hull crack in my 2019 Outback in one of the load bearing spots for the seat. I clean my Hobie after every trip, so I am confident it developed on today’s trip. Not sure if this is a common crack or not. After looking over the warranty I think I am covered. I have owned this kayak for just short of 1 year and 2 months.

I love the kayak and am super bummed out about the crack especially with the timing of the crack. I am not sure if Hobie will honor the warranty, just because I do not know the cause of the crack. I am a big guy at 6’ 3”, 215 lbs so I don’t know if that is the is a factor. If the warranty is approved, I don’t know the time frame, which is tough.

This thread isn’t to bash Hobie, its just to make other outback owners aware of what happened to mine. I got five great years out of my Pro Angler before I sold it.

I will update the thread when I learn more and update through the warranty process.

On the bright side, limited out on fluke, bluefish and Black Sea bass using the yak today, so there is that!

OKPH8033.JPG

A few people who post on this forum have had the same problem. It seems to happen when the seat is in the elevated position. It looks as though Hobie didn’t do a very good job of reinforcing those stress points. I don’t think you will have any trouble getting it replaced. It seems Hobie is aware of the problem. I’m sure they’ll make good on it. Hope all goes well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not to bash Hobie but @ $3K for a plastic boat - this is unacceptable. This is why I sold mine / fear that it would crack post warranty though. 

Edited by NHAngler

35 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

A few people who post on this forum have had the same problem. It seems to happen when the seat is in the elevated position. It looks as though Hobie didn’t do a very good job of reinforcing those stress points. I don’t think you will have any trouble getting it replaced. It seems Hobie is aware of the problem. I’m sure they’ll make good on it. Hope all goes well.

While searching for other people with the same crack I came across this thread and the crack is identical. 

5 hours ago, Joser said:

While searching for other people with the same crack I came across this thread and the crack is identical. 

Elias has had several cracked hulls. He has posted on here.

That sucks, you will get a new hull. Finish out your year and deal with it off season. Ten years on my low seat Revo, and it’s dry as a bone.

It's not the worse part your in a tournament, it is the best good luck!

I don't know if loaners are out there but it does look like it is in the high postion, get some water proof gorilla duct tape (awesome stuff) tape it up and go in low position to score the win, Hobie seems to take very good care of people with hull issues. I don't know about buying another new yak, that's some coin and sort of rewards Hobie for your hull failure in a way. .....Jack

14 hours ago, Joser said:

So I never thought it would happen to me but after a great day of fishing, I found a hull crack in my 2019 Outback in one of the load bearing spots for the seat. I clean my Hobie after every trip, so I am confident it developed on today’s trip. Not sure if this is a common crack or not. After looking over the warranty I think I am covered. I have owned this kayak for just short of 1 year and 2 months.

I love the kayak and am super bummed out about the crack especially with the timing of the crack. I am not sure if Hobie will honor the warranty, just because I do not know the cause of the crack. I am a big guy at 6’ 3”, 215 lbs so I don’t know if that is the is a factor. If the warranty is approved, I don’t know the time frame, which is tough.

This thread isn’t to bash Hobie, its just to make other outback owners aware of what happened to mine. I got five great years out of my Pro Angler before I sold it.

I will update the thread when I learn more and update through the warranty process.

On the bright side, limited out on fluke, bluefish and Black Sea bass using the yak today, so there is that!

OKPH8033.JPG

Be grateful you are in warranty. Like NH angler said, its best to dump your hobie at the end of warranty.  Sucks the cost of Hobies are getting up there in price and since cracks have happened dating back to 2007, cracks are a way of life with hobies. It will not stop. 

man that sucks. i sold my 2019 outback. hope hobie is good on their word. its shame people need to get rid of their hobies right before warranty is up. for a kayak that expensive, it should last a long time. 

1 min ago, kype said:

man that sucks. i sold my 2019 outback. hope hobie is good on their word. its shame people need to get rid of their hobies right before warranty is up. for a kayak that expensive, it should last a long time. 

To be fair to Hobie, they use to do the unwritten warranty claim when out of warranty. They did it with me with one claim months out of warranty. I can't remember what the pro rated formula but it was in there. Not everyone got it but it appeared most did. 

1 min ago, The Riddler said:

To be fair to Hobie, they use to do the unwritten warranty claim when out of warranty. They did it with me with one claim months out of warranty. I can't remember what the pro rated formula but it was in there. Not everyone got it but it appeared most did. 

you think they will go back to the drawing board, and come up with something on stress points? 

22 mins ago, kype said:

you think they will go back to the drawing board, and come up with something on stress points? 

I’m sure in time they will get it right. I would bet they have some very intelligent people working on design improvements to prevent hull failures like this from happening in the future. In the mean time I think there are some things you can do to lessen the chances of this happening if you own one of these Outbacks. I would not pedal with the seat in the elevated position. I believe this puts too much pressure on the rear seat supports. I would also try wrapping the rear seat supports with rubber tape to cushion the hull contact points. It’s worth a try. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to say that this is something you should have to do. There is no justification for this happening especially after paying $3k for a kayak. I would just try something to minimize the chances of this happening if I had one. I have the old low seat Outback and so far I have been lucky to not have had any problems yet.

1 hour ago, kype said:

To be fair they have over the years.  Hobie has a very good track record of fixing their problems. In the first round of cracks before 2008 Model years they first mailed out kits with molded fiberglass pieces and epoxy kits to Hobie owners. The piece was to reinforce the drive-well.  It failed miserably.  This was the "Cam Lock" years. Most cracks were at the drive well and Cam Lock.  In 2009 the cam lock was replaced with a "click and go" system still used today. They also added more heat during molding and thru probably capillary attraction, more poly mudded up near the drivewell. If you open the center hatch of a hobie you will have a mound of material.  Hobies crack now in unusual areas.  Can be found anywhere. 

I am not an engineer but since Old Town PDL hulls have been out they have no cracks that I have see online...and if someone has a crack on an old Town PDL, post it here or pm me telling me where to look. It could be the motion of the Hobie drive that causes cracks and old town is crank.  Whatever it is, Old Town Figured something out and its working out very well for them.