bronson

recommended lures to pitch at 30-60 lb tuna in Panama

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

up to 4oz or 100ish grams. anything tried and true? hoping for recommendations for some not so expensive ones I can leave there and give to buddies...   will use w popping rod and slammer 6500hs.   thx. 

Don’t go nuts, on a 5 day yak trip in Panama I discovered expensive plugs are not necessary! Strong hooks, terminal tackle, line and leaders are more important than any $40 plug. Inshore, you may get a Roosterfish using a popper. If your on a boat try some speed jigging! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

You dont need to use expensive lures, but you need different sizes lures. They his small stickbait last year. I had 8 -9 hit using 2 oz Mac Darter last year.

20190509_082927.jpg

Edited by ksong

13 hours ago, bronson said:

thx for the replies!   whats #42?  

Not what, who. Mariano Rivera, he is Panamanian!

You must be obviously Red Sox fan. :)

Yo zuri hydro poppers are great go-to, both inshore and offshore there.  I remove the belly hook and upgrade the split ring and treble on the rear.  Removing the belly hook allows the plug to slide and plant that treble firmly in the corner of the mouth.

Halco Roosta Popper is another solid choice for both inshore and offshore. I also just fish the rear treble. 

I've also had great luck on Shimano Wax Wings when they're picky.  Black over silver and Pink got bit at Hannibal Bank when they wouldn't touch poppers.

River to Sea Dumbell popper is good "Big Gun Popper" and for $22 bucks they don't need split rings or hooks upgraded.

Just like here in the 'good ol spin fish days' start with 80# flouro then drop to 50# if need be.

Have fun and POST PICS!!!

Have fun, when my buddy went they started  throwing poppers with no hooks for fun

and they get al  lot bigger than 60lbs

It’s rainy season there now, he’s probably not going till January. Have fun down there!

The Tandy irons would be a good reasonably priced, heavy duty choice for you. They have a nice range of weights, types and colors. When I lived on the west coast they were commonly used for a very large range of pelagics. They also swim and cast great.

Try find out what the main bait is and match the hatch.

The epoxy's in the right size and color should be key.

Good luck and would love to see photos of your success.