CaryGreene

R.I., U.S. officers seize 8 illegally caught striped bass, cite 4 fishermen

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

(*from Providence Journal)Patrolling off Block Island this week, state and federal officials cited four fishermen for illegal taking of striped bass and seized eight striped bass, according to the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management.

One fisherman was also cited for impeding a fishery boarding.

"Several boats had illegal possession of striped bass in waters reserved for conserving/managing fishery stocks," the DEM said in a Twitter post.

The federal violations come with a penalty of up to $1,000 for each fish. The impeding offense brings a fine of up to $10,000.

The seized fish were donated to Amos House in Providence, which provides food, housing, job training and other services to people.

In an email, Mastrati said, "Preserving RI's striped bass fishery and all of our marine resources is a responsibility DEM takes very seriously. The Department is working hard to ensure the health and future of the striped bass population and to go after illegal activity to preserve this valuable natural resource."

In another Twitter post, the DEM wrote, "Adhering to the rules is not only good for the health of our fisheries; it's the law. Help us protect what is yours. Report violations to 401-222-3070"

Pains me to see so many fishermen just blatantly disregarding our natural resources. I hope they throw the book at each one of these morons.

The idea of catch & release fishing is that if you put it back it might be there someday for someone else to catch. Not to mention it will live its life breed and reproduce.

But when we're just slab fishing that kind of crap needs to be very tightly regulated.Waters all around the world are being decimated. 

Edited by TimS
added text, removed link

18 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Approved despite the link. This is the sort of thing that matters to us, and to our running discussions.

Thanks for editing that Brian and approving it. I had forgotten we weren't allowed to put links in our posts. Anyway the more important discussion has now begun. 

Down at the mouth of the Connecticut we have a bunch of people doing the same kind of crap. They load their Coolers full of big fish every May. 

Live lining Bunker. I know some of you fish that way but hopefully you are observing regulations at least. That's the main point.

Nice to see people that don't do this get busted. Hopefully there will be many more arrests in Rhode Island , Massachusetts , Connecticut and New Jersey waters this year.

2 hours ago, riggler said:

I hope they publish the names of the arrested....be interesting to see if there any names we have seen before.... 

Pretty sure RIDEM does post names, DOB and addresses of arrests for fish and game violations. 

16 mins ago, Tcx82 said:

Im wondering, do I still get fine if I'm starving and haven't eat in 5 days and a fish would save my life?.

Yes, and you get a slap on the back of the head for spending money on gas for the boat, bait, and tackle, instead of food.

2 hours ago, Tcx82 said:

Im wondering, do I still get fine if I'm starving and haven't eat in 5 days and a fish would save my life?.

If you are ever in that position, rather than break a law, PM me here and you can come over for dinner. Fair enough?

4 hours ago, Tcx82 said:

If I'm starving and haven't eaten in 5 days, knock you to the ground and steal your wallet so I can buy breakfast, is that a crime?