drmevo

Hobie Livewell V1 crack

18 posts in this topic

Well this sucks. I went to load up my livewell this morning and found an enormous crack along the molding seam. I’m not sure when or how it happened - it didn’t sustain a blow or anything as far as I know. Any suggestions for repair? It seems like it might be too big to try to plastic weld. Since it uses a pump to constantly cycle water, I’m thinking it’s not a big deal if there is a slow leak/imperfect repair. Gorilla tape?

211DDCA3-BBAE-4547-BA0D-93F51A4AC03F.jpeg.bbd1aa61bdb9e8b48291aa98b7d14c48.jpeg

Hmmm,not sure if it's made of polypropylene or not but,most glues or sealers don't like to bond to it.

I'm sure you could fin something at a boat dealer,auto parts store or a home depot.

clear silicone would work right there perfect if it will stick to that type of plastic.

perhaps if you scuffed it up good then applied?.

HH

ps-maybe some of that windshield sealer,the black stuff I have seen them use.

is that a lid?

can you get at it from the backside?

if so,maybe some of that flex-seal tape[not really tape,more like a rubber patch],the one that fixes leaks that are underwater?

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

is that a lid?

can you get at it from the backside?

if so,maybe some of that flex-seal tape[not really tape,more like a rubber patch],the one that fixes leaks that are underwater?

HH

Yes, I can get to it from the back side, the lid is a standard Hobie round hatch. Does that flex seal tape actually work? Always wondered.

Edited by drmevo

9 mins ago, drmevo said:

Yes, I can get to it from the back side, the lid is a standard Hobie round hatch. Does that flex seal tape actually work? Always wondered.

oh,good,then you should be able to get it sealed no problem.

why would you wonder?,,,,the mechs at my work use it to seal the blue plasting drums when they get a crack,,they never leaked that I ever saw.

I would think the one you want is the one that you can seal leaks with whilst underwater.

I never used it but,I would not say it does not work.

or you could even use the paste too and it comes in colors too.

very sticky stuff man,,,get that all over you and you'll be like a mouse on fly paper.

HH

14 mins ago, drmevo said:

Thats a good candidate for flex seal. What do you have to lose? 

I would take a ride to the Hobie Dealer and out in a claim as well. Never know!

1 hour ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

oh,good,then you should be able to get it sealed no problem.

why would you wonder?,,,,the mechs at my work use it to seal the blue plasting drums when they get a crack,,they never leaked that I ever saw.

I would think the one you want is the one that you can seal leaks with whilst underwater.

I never used it but,I would not say it does not work.

or you could even use the paste too and it comes in colors too.

very sticky stuff man,,,get that all over you and you'll be like a mouse on fly paper.

HH

Well, I guess I’m just skeptical of “As Seen on TV” stuff. But it’s certainly worth a shot.

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

Thats a good candidate for flex seal. What do you have to lose? 

I would take a ride to the Hobie Dealer and out in a claim as well. Never know!

Yup, I’ll try it. Problem on the claim is, I bought it second-hand from someone who bought it with a 2013 Outback. It hadn’t been used or was barely used, though.

I’m not much of a live bait guy but large bass are hard to come by up here so sometimes I try to give myself whatever advantage I can!

what about a fabric tape (ie a strip of t shirt.) and some marine 5200......saturate the fabric and load up the area with some adhesive....boom back in bidniss.

24 mins ago, drmevo said:

Well, I guess I’m just skeptical of “As Seen on TV” stuff. But it’s certainly worth a shot.

Yup, I’ll try it. Problem on the claim is, I bought it second-hand from someone who bought it with a 2013 Outback. It hadn’t been used or was barely used, though.

I’m not much of a live bait guy but large bass are hard to come by up here so sometimes I try to give myself whatever advantage I can!

the underwater tape stuff is limited in length,i'd give the paste a try in as close to the color of the repair as possible.

I think it's called flex glue?

anyhow,you can apply it even on wet surfaces so,it has to be super sticky.

scuff the whole area well and use a plastic putty spreader to apply,you should be solid after that,worth a try.

HH

15 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

what about a fabric tape (ie a strip of t shirt.) and some marine 5200......saturate the fabric and load up the area with some adhesive....boom back in bidniss.

9 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

the underwater tape stuff is limited in length,i'd give the paste a try in as close to the color of the repair as possible.

I think it's called flex glue?

anyhow,you can apply it even on wet surfaces so,it has to be super sticky.

scuff the whole area well and use a plastic putty spreader to apply,you should be solid after that,worth a try.

HH

Thanks. These are good ideas. The way they molded this thing is ridiculous. Looks fine from the outside but when you check the inside there is a valley in the plastic right on the seam so it’s extremely thin in that area. No wonder it cracked.
In the short term I applied some Gorilla Crystal Clear tape I forgot I had. Supposedly it’s meant to work in wet applications and it didn’t leak when I tested just now. I had bought it to try as a keel guard but it’s basically glorified packing tape in terms of durability and it shredded almost immediately in that application. If this doesn’t hold I’ll try some of these suggestions.

1 hour ago, drmevo said:

There has to be big bass up one up of those yakkable rivers. Since Moving I am use to roofing the yak again...I am also looking for new water with less people. Or at least old places that produced in the early 2000's and does not get fished or pressured. I never had side imaging back then.  Could open up new real estate. 

Short term, You could probably drop a liner in it,  something like a 3 mil plastic garbage bag or similar,  water pressure should keep it pushed up against the sides?

27 mins ago, The Riddler said:

There has to be big bass up one up of those yakkable rivers. Since Moving I am use to roofing the yak again...I am also looking for new water with less people. Or at least old places that produced in the early 2000's and does not get fished or pressured. I never had side imaging back then.  Could open up new real estate. 

Yeah, I should branch out, but I mostly stick to the Piscataqua river since it’s the closest and the immediate area out front. There are definitely some larger fish around, but they are few and far between compared to MA and points south from what I gather. I need to get out at night more but the currents can be tricky - it’s something like the third strongest navigable current in the country so you really need to be careful.

31 mins ago, BillZ said:

Short term, You could probably drop a liner in it,  something like a 3 mil plastic garbage bag or similar,  water pressure should keep it pushed up against the sides?

That could work, I would just need to makes holes for the pump and outflow I would guess. 

Has anyone tried this plastic welder from Harbor Freight? For $16 and it comes with gray, white and black welding rods I think I’m gonna give it a shot:

flex seal! lol just apply it and forget about it. hell that guy built a boat with flex seal....