Dan_USMC13

Need advice!! Surf Rod Length.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Just getting started into the sport and need some advice. Looking at a 10 foot or a 12 foot rod. Given the exact same conditions, how much farther will the 12 foot rod cast than the 10 foot?

Thanks,

Dan

18 mins ago, Dan_USMC13 said:

ASrod,

Sorry about the lack of info. New to the surf. I will be using t.

Dan

a 12 will work good for that.

if your gonna plug with it,it's a bit much.

10 can do both but limited to the load you'll be throwing.

HH

41 mins ago, Dan_USMC13 said:

ASrod,

Sorry about the lack of info. New to the surf. I will be using primarily cut bait.

Dan

For chunking you’ll be fine with anything 11-12 feed. I’ve improvised and done 4 and a chunk on my 10 footers and I wouldn’t recommend it. I am about to pull the trigger on an 11 footer specifically for bait if that helps, but I tend to use the shortest rods I can get away with due to arm issues.

35 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

a 12 will work good for that.

if your gonna plug with it,it's a bit much.

10 can do both but limited to the load you'll be throwing.

HH

My thoughts exactly

The fish are in closer than you think. Some people actually "overcast" the area where the fish are at. Keep in mind the fish move around, cruising in close looking for easy meals.  An 11 ft rod is a nice size in my opinion because that size seems to cast heavier bait and weights in all kinds of conditions with ease without wearing you out to much if you are fishing for long periods of time. 

I think there are a lot of variables to what you are doing.  For the rod, you have to choose the right rod rating for chunking. A chunking rod does not have to break the bank.  Most of the people chunking around me are using ugly sticks and combo setups.  Also, what reel are you planning to pair it with?  Something that has good line lay would be good.  And also, use braid.  30lb braid should be good enough.

For me, when i used to chunk a decade ago, i used a 10' Ande Tournament surf rod rated 1-4oz.  Had it paird with a shimano baitrunner 8000D spooled with 30lb braid.  I was using pyramid sinkers up to 3oz.  If you add in the wight of a cut chunk of bunker, it probably weighed more than 5oz.  I was able to cast as far as the guy using a longer rod.

Last thing, definitely have something to protect your casting finger.  Braid can slice that finger up pretty badly.  I use hockey tape.  2-3 wraps and im good to go.

Depends on the weight your casting and where youre fishing. A 10-11ft rod rated anywhere from 3-6oz (take into consideration the weight of sinker and weight of bait) is all you need. And again as mentioned above you cast a clam into the wash, you can catch fish, doesn't have to be far. Start cheap $100-$150 and you'll get bored and start throwing plugs and chasing fish. Bait does however out fish plugs in certain months, weeks, of seasons. Personal preference. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

From a practical fishing point-of-view, the major advantage of a longer  rod is that it will keep your line higher above the waves, thus reducing the amount of weight needed to hold bottom, when the surf is "up". As regards casting distance, in order to determine the effect of rod length, all other factors must be equal - Reel used, line used, same caster, same cast, same environmental conditions (i.e., wind velocity and direction, and air density as a result of relative humidity) exact same rod flex point and recovery time (These last characteristics are often mixed and mis-used to describe rod "action") and lastly, rod power.  So you have two rods, one 10ft and the other 12ft.  Both have identical power, and therefore can throw, without being overloaded, the same total terminal rig weight (i.e., combined weight of sinker and bait).  Both are. let's say, mid-flex and fast recovery.  The answer is then simple physics, as the longer rod presents the longer fulcrum, which will apply more momentum to the terminal rig, and therefore the terminal rig will be traveling at a greater velocity at the moment of line release. Greater velocity translates to longer travel time, and thus a longer cast

Edited by FlatWing

11 hours ago, Dan_USMC13 said:

Hey Hooksetter. How much will the extra 2 feet of rod give me in casting distance?

that depends on you and how/how much power plus your casting style.

the very good thing is the longer rod will keep yer line off the water so the waves won't grab and tug on it with each passing wave.

HH

IMO, skip the 'all purpose rod" and just get one for heaving cut bait now. I'd rather have a rod that's slightly long over one that's too short for certain applications. You don't always have to heave a mile or get your line above the waves, but having that option (that a 12-11' provides) is important when it's important.

When/if you decide to start throwing lures, you might decide to get another rod n reel for that purpose. If you continue fishing, you'll eventually get a lot of gear for specific applications. An 'all purpose rod' (which isn't great for bait OR lures) will likely be a waste of money at that point

don't fall for the all purpose rod trick, there isn't one. get 12 ft that can throw 10+ oz should be good for the surf.