osprey47

Trash and other issues on Jetties

Rate this topic

106 posts in this topic

Part of the problem is that in many of the countries were these people come from everyone dumps their trash in the ocean and the forest. They come here and think it’s ok to do the same. They need to be taught that it is not acceptable here. That should be the job of our police, politicians, etc. If they started handing out fines or community service this would stop quickly. 

A little historical context.  As a society we’ve always had slobs.  We’ve come a long way in correcting that.  Back in the 1980s and 90s our fishing club became concerned about what we were seeing at the time as there was a very large Asian Refugee community that were relocating in our state.  We actually worked with the state and an Asian community church to put out signs and fisheries laws an rules abstracts in various languages and dialects.  I believe we were making headway with the problem.  Then the immigration issue of the last 10 years or so placed an entirely different culture into the mix.
Video clip of 1960s America

Maybe RISAA could sponsor a PR campaign on Spanish radio. 100.3 reaches all of RI and SE Mass and it's hugely popular among the Hispanic community.

How about this. Hypothetically if someone were to post picket signs all over these areas, in SPANISH stating the following:

”The DEM is currently monitoring this area from a distance with binoculars. You WILL be fined $XXX for failure to produce fishing licenses, keeping undersized fish and or littering upon exiting this area”

Got a feeling this would be more impactful than a voicemail to the DEM. 

Nasty dead seal out there on the west wall a few weeks back by the way. Smelled worse than a Mexican babies shitfilled diaper! 

I've seen the Park Rangers out recently-down by the East beach sand trail and yesterday by Black Point/Stinky beach-with two EPO trucks.  I wonder if this would be a better avenue.  They seem to be younger and I'm sure would be more aggressive in upholding the law...

buford.jfif

A good deterrent would be to just park a truck like this in problem areas from time to time.  Does RI have an ICE office?  That is one agency I didn’t think about contacting.

D76DA088-49C8-43EF-9922-6A5540AE75D0.jpeg

13 hours ago, Dirty Walter said:

How about this. Hypothetically if someone were to post picket signs all over these areas, in SPANISH stating the following:

”The DEM is currently monitoring this area from a distance with binoculars. You WILL be fined $XXX for failure to produce fishing licenses, keeping undersized fish and or littering upon exiting this area”

Got a feeling this would be more impactful than a voicemail to the DEM. 

Nasty dead seal out there on the west wall a few weeks back by the way. Smelled worse than a Mexican babies shitfilled diaper! 

it would have to be multiple languages, while I agree Spanish are the biggest offenders we can't single out one and make it seem like a racist agenda 

btw that wasn't a seal if its where I'm thinking your talking about,  it was a sea turtle that washed up last fall that is still decomposing, I did call DEM and mystic about it but clearly that was left

1 hour ago, osprey47 said:

it would have to be multiple languages, while I agree Spanish are the biggest offenders we can't single out one and make it seem like a racist agenda 

btw that wasn't a seal if its where I'm thinking your talking about,  it was a sea turtle that washed up last fall that is still decomposing, I did call DEM and mystic about it but clearly that was left

You can do whatever you want to do! I am absolutely not racist by the way but you cant pretend it’s not a specific demographic causing the issue. Trust me. I wish, whole heartedly that the DEM would get out there and check all of us daily. 

Apparently, subsistence fishermen have already left their mark on the new fishing pier at Rocky Point, using the new benches to cut bait and leaving trash behind. Having seen this happening elsewhere for so long, I'm not really surprised. Remember the scene at the old Jamestown bridge, which was actually a proposed fishing pier itself? Remember when you could fish from the dock at the URI Bay Campus when the Intrepid was at sea?

11 hours ago, dickd said:

Apparently, subsistence fishermen have already left their mark on the new fishing pier at Rocky Point, using the new benches to cut bait and leaving trash behind. Having seen this happening elsewhere for so long, I'm not really surprised. Remember the scene at the old Jamestown bridge, which was actually a proposed fishing pier itself? Remember when you could fish from the dock at the URI Bay Campus when the Intrepid was at sea?

You knew the good people of Saunderstown/Plum Point area would not let a fishing pier fly.  Already looks like a refugee camp under the Jamestown Bridge as it is.

kinda late to the topic and kinda new to the sport but still....

so. many. feelings. here. 

i came home a couple weeks ago venting SO HARD about this, threatening to turn and become a proponent for restricted shore access; to my girlfriend, my work mates, my family, whoever. i'm not a particularly outspoken man but that day, i got into it twice at two different locations about these exact issues. the lack of respect for the environment, the fish and the access itself; i wish one of these offenders or former offenders would speak up and give me some perspective because i just cannot grasp it and it's driving me mad.

ranting over and done with: i've realized i'm not doing enough. a large trash bag now officially has a permanent spot in my plug bag. my average trip out is like 3-6 hours? what's 20 minutes of picking up?

in an attempt to end this on a positive note: anyone interested in hunting/fishing with an emphasis on stewardship should be listening to the podcast Cal's Week in Review. he's part of a larger podcast network, but his show really resonates with me. this guy absolutely walks the walk. check it out. it helps motivate me to be a bigger, more positive part of the cause.

Posted (edited) · Report post

35 mins ago, lagom9 said:

ranting over and done with: i've realized i'm not doing enough. a large trash bag now officially has a permanent spot in my plug bag. my average trip out is like 3-6 hours? what's 20 minutes of picking up?

Good for you.  This has been my policy since the litter problems started.  In the end it’s our access on the line.  I hate cleaning up after others but realize it’s essential for my continued access. 

Edited by DZ

3 hours ago, DZ said:

Good for you.  This has been my policy since the litter problems started.  In the end it’s our access on the line.  I hate cleaning up after others but realize it’s essential for my continued access. 

but at what point does that just encourage their behavior? How does it stop, what happens when your not there to pick up?