Trash and other issues on Jetties

Rate this topic

osprey47

Had a recent experience I wanted to share on here at a well known very long jetty in Narragansett area. Went out with a friend around midnight during new moon, around 4AM the light brigade showed up in a caravan of almost 40 people (not even kidding , literally 40 of them showed up at once). Now I will preface this post by saying that despite being from the south I harbor no ill resentment to any race, religion, color, belief ect. but this brigade was all entirely of spanish decent. I was using  buck tails by the fish traps , I snagged on a line and turned to replace my rig, in the two minutes I turned my spot was taken by three guys. I said "hey I was fishing on that rock right there"  to which they came back that "this is not your country anymore".  As you can imagine this started a war of words but considering the recent events in the news, I figured I would be demonized for anything I did so I left for better fishing grounds (we ended up doing pretty well at our second spot anyways)

But I fish this well known jetty very often, almost 6x a week and over the last year not only have I noticed that this demographic has taken this spot over and treat it like they control it, but they have also quite literally trashed the entire jetty. I've attached photos. They have been leaving dirty diapers, squid boxes, entire grills, ect. I took friends from Ireland out there recently and they were DISGUSTED at how much litter there was on this jetty.  Not only litter but when these scup heroes land a dogfish, sea robin, skate, or puffer instead of doing the reasonable thing and throwing into the bay side so they don't catch it again they leave it in the rocks to suffocate and dry out and die. 

I have called DEM every time I witness this first hand, not once have they shown up or shown much an interest to, despite what I mentioned above being a clear case of animal cruelty considering they are not harvesting the fish. Even had one DEM officer say they aren't going to waste their time coming out for just a few fish. Yet I see DEM patrolling the EEZ to snag someone who just so happened to drift over the line and land one striper, which is the bigger sin I ask you folks?

Also have reached out to Save the Bay, and local politicians both of which have not shown much interest in the trash issue or the resolutions I have proposed.

Local fishing club I am a member in used to do clean up days but stopped and understandably so when just days after clean ups the jetty would be trashed again.

I understand  that some cultures do not value to ocean as others do but there is no excuse for trashing the area  and causing altercations based on race.   This is by far my favorite fishing spot, and the private community adjacent to this spot is kind enough to look the other way on fisherman walking through their neighborhood despite the no trespassing signs , but I am quickly getting to the point that I would support a shutdown of this fishing area, it is almost getting to the point of no return .  The point of my post is to show others the level that this is occurring and hopefully either A. it reaches the right eyes or B. brainstorm solutions to this issue.  As I mentioned I love this spot but not enough to let others destroy it for us all by keeping it open and allowing trash to pollute our waters.  

image6.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Funny that you should post this today.  I was at a popular breachway the other night-first time since spring-with my son and nephew.  I was blown away by the smell and the amount of garbage on the rocks-at the tip.  Smelled like there were a ton of fish dropped in the rocks.  I was so pissed that I took two casts and we split.  Won't be going back there till October I guess.  All of the Gansett shoreline gets treated like that unfortunately.  The Avenues down to Black Point and the East Wall are one giant toilet/garbage can for these people.  There's a contest at one of the breachways to see who can leave the biggest turd in the grass on the side of the lot next to the abandoned boat.  

Maybe the new Rocky Point fishing pier will take some pressure off the south shore...

Been a long time battle I’ve been waging for years here in Newport.   I commend you for wanting to address it.  Try contacting RISAA.  Another organization would be Clean Ocean Access.  CRMC also needs to know.  These organizations can help coordinate cleanups.  In today’s toxic environment be careful confronting anyone.  All you can do is report it and keep documenting it.  Last resort is to contact the TV media.  They might do some sort of story.  Good luck and keep up the good fight.  

6 hours ago, ne_dan said:

Then there’s this article that was in the local Jamestown paper.   

5ABE1F81-0017-4228-8B60-3B9DF4E2085C.jpeg

I saw this first hand. It was like a freakin’ festival. There were two EPOs out there. Didn’t see them check any licenses. 

This is the beginning of the end of access. These “user groups” have trashed the entire Canal and have been destroying the lower Bay for years. They’re inconsiderate slobs. We’ll lose access and they’ll just move onto the next spot and trash it. 

Scumbags. 

1 hour ago, rbart said:

I saw this first hand. It was like a freakin’ festival. There were two EPOs out there. Didn’t see them check any licenses. 

This is the beginning of the end of access. These “user groups” have trashed the entire Canal and have been destroying the lower Bay for years. They’re inconsiderate slobs. We’ll lose access and they’ll just move onto the next spot and trash it. 

Scumbags. 

And what 1 mile tops from the Jamestown PD headquarters

1 hour ago, rbart said:

Scumbags. 

thus my post,  if enough of the educated conservation minded fisherman band together and get these people out of the areas we love or get them on board with the rules that our law enforcement choose to ignore then we won't have to lose our areas 

8 hours ago, DZ said:

Been a long time battle I’ve been waging for years here in Newport.   I commend you for wanting to address it.  Try contacting RISAA.  Another organization would be Clean Ocean Access.  CRMC also needs to know.  These organizations can help coordinate cleanups.  In today’s toxic environment be careful confronting anyone.  All you can do is report it and keep documenting it.  Last resort is to contact the TV media.  They might do some sort of story.  Good luck and keep up the good fight.  

I am a member of RISAA and contacted , they used to run volunteer clean up days but when people saw the spots they were cleaning get dumped right back up again by these scumbags they lost volunteers to help out, so the scumbags win in the end.   

I have contacted  RI EPO ,   no response.   Save the bay   no response, I will reach out to CRMC and COA after this as you suggested.   I do reach out to EPO every time I first hand see the violation and not ONCE have they come to check out the call.   When I saw these people keeping undersized scup (dozens of them, not just one)  I reported it and was told "we aren't going to come out just for scup"  however if I call about a striper they'll be right there.  It isn't their place to pick and choose which regulations to follow, the regulations are there and we are all expected to abide by it.    Further more  the jetty in question as I mentioned above , its only access point is through a private gated community that turns a blind eye to fisherman walking through, eventually they will get sick of the scumbags and stop the walk throughs

Same at the jetty I go to. There are some trash bags at the end that someone put but it's not maintained. They're full and overflowing and stuff all over the jetty especially at the end.

Some people pick up after themselves but many think nothing of just leaving stuff. They have no problem hauling the stuff in.

I was at another place a couple of weeks ago. I thought there was a live band playing. Someone had the back of their van open and speakers on the ground blasting music while their family fished a few feet away. Trash there also.

Basically there's trash all over the place.

They say if you want to get rich you need to solve a problem. This is a huge problem. I need to start getting some solutions together.

21 hours ago, rbart said:

Scumbags. 

Used to swim and snorkel off those rocks as a kid. Used to be local families. Probably why they've got mackerel cove as basically residents only at this point.