petergulickjr

Lew's bait caster stopped cranking

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I'm disappointed with my Lew's Tournament MB reel. Less than 2 years old, moderate use, never dunked, now the star drag won't turn at all and when turning the handle it won't engage the spool , level wind still works though.  Any suggestions would be appreciated - hoping its some simple "user error" or quick fix.

Thanks

Peter

If the handle is turning freely and the level wind is moving back and forth as you turn the handle, i would assume the reel is engaged. It sounds like your drag is backed all the way off, thats why the spool is not turning. Was the drag backed off and the reel sat for some time ? How much "light"force have you used to free the star... a drop of oil behind the star maybe, and work it a little " gently.. 

OK, reel sat inside over the winter with the drag backed off. Drag is rock solid tight, won't move. yes, reel is engaged, no braid, only mono. I took off the reel handle, star drag, put it all back - star drag now moves but loosening and tightening the drag only makes turning the handle easier and harder - still won't make the spool turn.

No - I did not take this part in anyway prior to it not working right.

Thanks

Peter

OK, I got it to work. took apart the left side plate - removed the spool and reseated it - somehow the spool spindle must have not been sitting correctly. I suppose I could have disengaged it pulling hard to remove a snag or something - only my 2nd fw bait caster - 1st one is an Abu Black Max which is still going strong  - twice as old as the Lew's and 5x as much use.

Thanks for the help

Peter