RP McMurphy

Advice re: Versatile Surf Rod for a Newbie?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Experienced fresh water bass fisherman. Less experienced with salt/surf.

Vacation on Cape Cod 1-2 weeks/year.  My 25+ year old surf rod and reel need updating.

Generally throwing chunks from the beach on high/low rig with 2-4 oz. pyramid weight, but also want the flexibility to throw SPs, Deadly Dicks, 9" Sluggos.

Considering a rod between 9'6" and 11".  Current front-runners are Tsunami Airwave, Mojo Surf, or Avid.  If possible, I'd like to have longer piece no greater than 86 inches (so it fits in my rod carrier).

Am I asking too much?  Any advice is appreciated.

I’ll be the first to say it... Please avoid the Mojo surf. The triumph is a much better rod for what it is.

That being said, the Avid Surf is a really nice rod. Another nice rod is the ODM DNA, but the warranty on the Avid is unbeatable unless you’re looking at a Lamiglas Super Surf 2G where it’s also lifetime. I’ve never used an airwave elite. I recently replaced my St. Croix and ODM with two Lamiglas Infinity rods and I couldn’t be happier. Good luck!

Very much appreciate the feedback.  As recommended, I'm researching the TFO, ODM, and Lamiglas rods. Seems the 60/40 split on the ODMs may help with my preference to have the longer piece no greater than 86" (most appear to be 70/30)

ASrod - I checked the Lamiglas web site - found "infinity" model under their salmon line, but not in the surfcasting rod section.   (found GSB, SuperSurf, Insane, Carbon, and Nightshift)

The Lamiglas Infinity surf line possibly discontinued?  Thanks again.

2 hours ago, RP McMurphy said:

Very much appreciate the feedback.  As recommended, I'm researching the TFO, ODM, and Lamiglas rods. Seems the 60/40 split on the ODMs may help with my preference to have the longer piece no greater than 86" (most appear to be 70/30)

ASrod - I checked the Lamiglas web site - found "infinity" model under their salmon line, but not in the surfcasting rod section.   (found GSB, SuperSurf, Insane, Carbon, and Nightshift)

The Lamiglas Infinity surf line possibly discontinued?  Thanks again.

The Infinity sure is discontinued because the 3M material got too expensive to keep them in production. The next best thing would the a GSB in one piece but since you need a two piece, the SS2G is extremely nice.

On 7/2/2020 at 6:16 PM, RP McMurphy said:

Ah...got it. Thanks.  Looks like if I wanted to score a Lamiglas Infinity I'll have to keep an eye on the BST forum. 

Yeah and I lucked out big time because a shop called me and by some miracle found two brand new ones in the warehouse. I’ve already have people hitting up my messenger offering to buy them off me and no way they’re going anywhere. Nicest rods I’ve owned.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:44 PM, ASrod said:

I’ll be the first to say it... Please avoid the Mojo surf. The triumph is a much better rod for what it is.

That being said, the Avid Surf is a really nice rod. Another nice rod is the ODM DNA, but the warranty on the Avid is unbeatable unless you’re looking at a Lamiglas Super Surf 2G where it’s also lifetime. I’ve never used an airwave elite. I recently replaced my St. Croix and ODM with two Lamiglas Infinity rods and I couldn’t be happier. Good luck!

I have,well had, two mojos. I've replaced my 9' mojo with a 9'6" Airwave Elite. Absolutely love that AWE. The 9' mono was great but is much stiffer than I like.

I also had a 10'6" mojo until this morning when it exploded while casting a magic swimmer while at the cape cod canal. I will probably take advantage of St.croixs upgrade program and get the Legend. 

Thanks, TurkeyBacn.  Yes, ASrod recommended above to avoid the Mojo but likes the Avid. Another vote to take advantage of the St. Croix upgrade program.

Yes, I've heard the AirWave is a great rod.  I think I'm leaning that way, and at the same time giving TFO a good look, and also the Black Hole Striped Bass Special.  I really need to find a MA/NH tackle shop where I can see what they feel like in my hands...

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, RP McMurphy said:

Thanks, TurkeyBacn.  Yes, ASrod recommended above to avoid the Mojo but likes the Avid. Another vote to take advantage of the St. Croix upgrade program.

Yes, I've heard the AirWave is a great rod.  I think I'm leaning that way, and at the same time giving TFO a good look, and also the Black Hole Striped Bass Special.  I really need to find a MA/NH tackle shop where I can see what they feel like in my hands...

What part of MA are you located?

Edited by Turkeybacn

Go to Tomos, great guys. Black hole should have a rod to fit your needs, never an ODM can for multiple reasons, St.Croix is ok with the mojis, guides are just plain wrong which ia killer to me. Sounds like the EC special I have should fit your needs, rated 2-6 throws all you could ever want it to.

Grayson - thanks for the Tomo Tackle tip.  I checked it out this morning.  Agree, they guys were very helpful.  I have a feeling I'll be going back to Tomo's soon.