petergulickjr

Why don't all spinning reels work like this?

20 posts in this topic

I "inherited" a few things from my father, among them fishing gear and an inquisitive nature, and to not accept things the way they are - just because - "that's the way it is, that's the way we've always done it, don't fix what ain't broken". So......I have always thought the way a spinning reel works is a bit of a ridiculous contraption, and not so easy to use. Oh I can hear not now, "it's not hard, I'm use to it, it's second  nature to me". I don't mind using spinning for freshwater so much as I probably pitch more than I cast anyway, but for saltwater it's terrible throwing anything heavy - many work arounds for this, going bail-less, add-on trigger mechanisms, fingerboards, etc. 

So the 2 spinning reels my father had were an old Mitchell 300 and a newer (2005±) Quantam Hypercast (see photo). To me the hyper cast trigger on a spinning is a better mousetrap - one move trigger mechanism, no grabbing the line and flipping the bail. There must be a good reason this is not the norm other than "thats the way it is". My guess would be that the whole trigger mechanism to bail connection is another contraption on top of a contraption and one more thing to break down. That Mitchell 300 is simple as can be, and still works just fine with little to no mainenance 50 years later - I don't think time will be that kind to the Hypercast mechanism.

Peter

Quantam Hypercast.png

Wow blast from the past... I remember handling those in sporting goods shop!  Interesting concept, but I think it added extra weight and like you said just more stuff to break. Would imagine probably issues with braid management also. Very cool though!!!

Triggers suck. Another doodad to break. Also most require that the spool snaps back to position to grab the line with your finger which means no anti-reverse. I have a Shimano Spirex 1000 with their "QuickFire II" system. Sucks balls. Never use it.

Grabbing line and flipping the bail is much easier than picking out nasty backlashes. I'm the opposite, love baitcasters in freshwater but mostly use spinning in the salt other than bottom fishing.  My thumb seems unable to learn the high speed needed to throw really heavy stuff, spinning is so simple kids can do it.

As MNJ said: you can have a trigger, or you can have continuous anti-reverse. Anything above light freshwater, I'd much rather have the AR. Even then, I think all of us know how to drag the bail at the end of a retrieve, so it's not much of a convenience.

My father loved the shimano quickfire reels......i for one couldn't stand the massive backplay

I had the reel pictured...returned it for some quantum energy metals.......they were defective which lead to a decade and a half no no quantum

10 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

Triggers suck. Another doodad to break. Also most require that the spool snaps back to position to grab the line with your finger which means no anti-reverse. I have a Shimano Spirex 1000 with their "QuickFire II" system. Sucks balls. Never use it.

Me neither. Another gripe about Quickfire. The antireverse...

Why on Earth would you make such a crappy antireverse just so the trigger lines up with the rod?

I had a "quickfire"as a kid and loved it,,,,,:ph34r: but now I manually open and close my bail,,,,,,:squid: and on my bailess I have been using for 4years when a cat starts running it's hard to get the line on the roller,,,,everything has it's advantageous and disadvantages,,,,,,,:D

On 7/2/2020 at 4:09 PM, scoobydoo said:

My father loved the shimano quickfire reels......i for one couldn't stand the massive backplay

I had the reel pictured...returned it for some quantum energy metals.......they were defective which lead to a decade and a half no no quantum

I love the Quantum E-7 4 for my light surf outfit with 10 lb braid.  I got the plastic model and my only beef is that the spool knobs don't seem to last.  Don't know where to find replacements.  Have searched extensively to no avail so if you know of anyone who will sell for parts, I would appreciate it.

The quick fire  are not industry standard for a good reason, you don't need it. Even a complete novice who begins the day holding the spinning reel upside down can figure out in a day how to cast.  If I needed a quick fire mechanism, I think I would rather use a Zebco 33 for ease of casting.

As for the Mitchell 300, I have one about a foot away from me on an original Garcia Conlon rod, it was my Dad's, catching fish since about 1965. 

On 7/2/2020 at 10:14 AM, MitchellNJ said:

Triggers suck. Another doodad to break. 

I may not have worded it like that but I've had trigger reels way back when and none of them lasted very long - so I agree with the post