Southcoastphil

Has anybody fished a Pflueger Mustang?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have seen comments (none verified) that they were a very successful plug and that they swim wonderfully. 

I LOVE the paint (colors and and scaling) on the mullet pattern, and the baroque style of the upper and lower metal plates is quite unusual, which I why I'm considering fishing the one I have.

Would the folks who've fished them share your thoughts?

Those belly hook hangers, despite having a very cool retro look (IMO), don't inspire much (OK, OK, any) confidence that those four little screws will survive many fish before they get pulled out, so they'd need be addressed.  The nose screws might warrant work as well.  I know that I could through wire it, allowing another 1/4" or so of exposed through wire shaft for that revolving-tail hook hanger, but I'd like to explore other options.

I'm not concerned about the tail hook, because I'd remove it before fishing it.  Has anyone put a blade on it to have a flaptail?  I'm thinking swivel on the hook hanger ==> v small split ring ==> small willow blade.  (I don't want to delve into the intricacies of designing flaptail plugs, and the years it takes to get them right, because I'm basically just rat-rodding a plug.)

Once I've started the separate thread in the Lure Builders forum to tackle the options re hook hangers I'll edit this post with a link to it.

Edited by Southcoastphil

Yes it was a very popular plug along the jetties of Atlantic Beach, NY. Especially during the mullet runs and in the mullet color as you described. 

7 mins ago, capesams said:

not the mustang but the ballerina in mullet,,,killer plug,,,,never had a screw pull out...schoolies loved it.

Same here Steve. We would even cut about a 1/4" off the tail after removing the screw, form a lead slug to match the piece of wood cut off, drill through, add a little epoxy and replace the tail hook hanger. I never had any screws pull, but was fishing 10 or 12 pound mono.

Sam

3 hours ago, capesams said:

not the mustang but the ballerina in mullet,,,killer plug,,,,never had a screw pull out...schoolies loved it.

ballerina?  A plug similar to the Mustang, I assume.

22 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

ballerina?  A plug similar to the Mustang, I assume.

Ballerina is a lipless surface plug similar to a Zara Spook

Yes, as a boy it was the first plug that I fished for bass back in the '60s.

I never caught a big fish on it, so I can't say too much about how the hook hangers would hold up to one, but the action was very good.  I was young enough (age still in the single digits) that I didn't know anything more than a straight retrieve, but I suspect that if I had one now, I really could make the lure dance, and catch some good fish on it,

1 hour ago, SC said:

Ballerina is a lipless surface plug similar to a Zara Spook

Thanks.  I'll go take my seat now, in the "No Clue" section.

I call the Mustang the Nat Piazza special. I would see Nat fish this plug quite a bit on the Breezy Point jetty.

I have a thru-wired one which was done by Pflueger, not homemade.
I can take a few pictures if it helps.

43 mins ago, bobtack said:

I call the Mustang the Nat Piazza special. I would see Nat fish this plug quite a bit on the Breezy Point jetty.

I have a thru-wired one which was done by Pflueger, not homemade.
I can take a few pictures if it helps.

I'd love to see that!  Thanks.

I believe all the Mustangs were thru-wired with a fixed belly hanger and a rear hanger that pivoted 360 degrees around the thru wire (but it has been a long time) The Pal-o-Mine's had screwed in hook hangers.

48 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

This is my bug:

PM11.JPG.1bc240ec1b2fcf6e7f99c32ea1c25b8e.JPG

Has a stamped lip:

PM3.JPG.48a0b0b31d0d5a18c435795e17ff9707.JPG

And these hangers:
PM5.JPG.bde6e99db09a5cae5e280fc1ff1ac28a.JPG

cool looking plug,,I have one of those,,think a pic of a few too.

I have one in Rudolph and one in silver mullet I believe it is.

HH