foxfai

Penn Battle 4000-bail arm loose

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So I was doing minor service the other day, I notice there is a play from the bail arm. This part (wire) goes in and turn will lock it in there, but there is a play moving up and down looking at this picture. I put a few warp of electrical tape and seems to stiffen it up. Do I have to replace this part?

IMG_20200629_163634872.jpg

if you are refer to the bail wire,, from the schematic this is one piece , can not just replace the wire only.

- you can do a mickeymouse fix by JB weld, but not sure if the would hold up,, so some small metal, like paper clip and jb weld .

if is there any space between wire and its slot, just sandpaper the joint of the wire and place the wire to its slot. than, fill the wire slot with a hot melt glue, that's it. no need the replace.

On 7/11/2020 at 5:52 PM, sparidae said:

if is there any space between wire and its slot, just sandpaper the joint of the wire and place the wire to its slot. than, fill the wire slot with a hot melt glue, that's it. no need the replace.

It is the space between the arm and the bail wire. There is a slight movement but it won't come out. 

I stuff electrical tape on the wire just to fill the space for that purpose, but it has since came out. 

If it doesn't come out then you can fish it as is. They all get a little loose after a cleaning but penns have the best bail wires. They don't bend like shimanos do.

Good luck

I can see where you put the electrical tape. When you purchase a new bail wire the left side bail support is included. 

When that part is new the bail wire fits tight. You turn the bail wire up and it comes out of the black left side “arm”. 

I have plenty of them and would send you one but my shop got flooded with hurricane Sally.