atvanast

Van Staal spool binding to frame under heavy drag

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

I got this Vs x 200 brand new about a week ago, spooled it up and last night I took it fishing. After hooking into a couple big snook on heavy drag I noticed on one fish the reel would lock up like the line was digging into the spool, which had me confused as the reel was spooled very tight. When I got home I noticed several scratches on the base of the spool and figured out that either the frame or the fasteners on the liner roller was scraping the spool. My first thought was that the reel was slightly over spooled causing the line to dig and pull the frame into the spool, so I pulled of fair amount of line. To see if I had solved the issue I hooked my jig to my truck, tightened down the drag and pulled, I quickly learned the problem wasn't solved. The the damn thing was scraping against itself causing the reel to bind and lock up. This only happened when the base spool was at the top of the frame, leaving a new scratch on the reel. Even at slightly lighter drag setting the reel would still scrap but not fully bind. When I took the spool of to asses the damage I noticed the scraping at the top of the frame, so since I can't feel any rough spots on the fasteners I assume that the top of the frame is getting pulled to the center of the reel and scraping against the base of the spool.

Under normal circumstances I would just send it in for warranty, but according to my local tackle shops Van staal is at an almost stand still due to the virus and allegedly a lot of the workers decided to not come back in after making more off unemployment. I would like to have a reel to fish the rest of the summer so sending it in doesn't seem like a good option.

At this point I might try to sand down the area that is scaping, but other than that I have no idea on how to fix this issue. The obvious solution would be to fish lighter drag, but if you have ever fished for snook around structure you know that just isn't a option.

Has anyone else had this issue on their reel? And if so were you able to fix it?

IMG_8819.jpg

IMG_8820.jpg

IMG_8821.jpg

IMG_8822.jpg

IMG_8823.jpg

1-Make sure that the screws that hold the rotor not loose, now looking at the second picture are the 3 screws holding the MPU arm look like there protruding pass the wall of the rotor cup, if that is so and it's a new reel l would get in touch VS you will lose a lot of money if you should want to resale it down the road.

1 Now looking at the 3rd picture rotor rubbing only in one spot or is rubbing all around the inside of the rotor either way l would make a call to VS it's not going to get any better there is something wrong with the reel.

you have too much money to let this go buy. my first VS 100 is from 1997 and l have pulled in logs with it and some monster bluefish and same for my VS 150. make the call it's not going away or get better.

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, LB said:

1-Make sure that the screws that hold the rotor not loose, now looking at the second picture are the 3 screws holding the MPU arm look like there protruding pass the wall of the rotor cup, if that is so and it's a new reel l would get in touch VS you will lose a lot of money if you should want to resale it down the road.

1 Now looking at the 3rd picture rotor rubbing only in one spot or is rubbing all around the inside of the rotor either way l would make a call to VS it's not going to get any better there is something wrong with the reel.

you have too much money to let this go buy. my first VS 100 is from 1997 and l have pulled in logs with it and some monster bluefish and same for my VS 150. make the call it's not going away or get better.

OK, so I just checked the screws holding in the rotor and they were not lose, the screws holding the line roller don't protrude past the frame that I can feel or see. The reason the rubbing is in different spots is because the there is a range of about half a handle crank where the rubbing will happen so at different places in that range it will scratch, and as shown in the 4th and 5th photo there is only one part of the rotor that is scraping against the spool.

But yes I will definitely be contacting VS, just not sure it will be a quick reply.

Edited by atvanast

Obviously this isn’t normal. I doubt the place you bought it from will accept a return (unless maybe Cabela’s?). 

Looks like you probably need to ship it back to Van Staal. Unfortunately they don’t do any service at their facility anymore and refer you to a shop in NY. 

5 mins ago, ged said:

Obviously this isn’t normal. I doubt the place you bought it from will accept a return (unless maybe Cabela’s?). 

Looks like you probably need to ship it back to Van Staal. Unfortunately they don’t do any service at their facility anymore and refer you to a shop in NY. 

Yeah my plan at this point is to try and get in touch with VS and since the reel is at least mostly fishable I'll just use it for the next couple weeks and see how everything plays out.

9 mins ago, atvanast said:

Yeah my plan at this point is to try and get in touch with VS and since the reel is at least mostly fishable I'll just use it for the next couple weeks and see how everything plays out.

Something is wrong, like a bent main shaft. 

20 mins ago, atvanast said:

What state do you live in. If in NJ Fishermans Headquarters is a VS service station.

Edited by LB

3 mins ago, ged said:

Something is wrong, like a bent main shaft. 

Yeah I thought maybe the rotor frame was slightly bent or possibly the main shaft. Just by eyeballing it there doesn't seem to be any obvious bent or deformed parts but, I think you could be right it might just be slight enough to where I can't really see it.

5 mins ago, LB said:

What state do you live in. If in NJ Fishermans Headquarters is a VS service station.

Oh thanks for bringing that up! I live in southwest florida and the only service center is in the panhandle, but coincidentally I'll be staying up there for the fourth so I will definitely have them look at it.

lf you go to a repair station the only thing they could do is fix what it wrong l don't think they would exchange rotor or spool that you would have to live with or you could take pictures of rotor and spool along with the sales slip and email it to them so they have it on record and maybe deal with the exchange later it's worth a try.

9 mins ago, ged said:

He said snook so i am assuming Florida

l missed that, :th: if he was in NJ l would look at it to see what is going on l don't have parts for the 200 series reels but l could find the problem.

Who no's when they will be up and running in PA if there near Penn l could be there in 45min.

Edited by LB

5 mins ago, LB said:

lf you go to a repair station the only thing they could do is fix what it wrong l don't think they would exchange rotor or spool that you would have to live with or you could take pictures of rotor and spool along with the sales slip and email it to them so they have it on record and maybe deal with the exchange later it's worth a try.

That's not a bad idea, yeah luckily i'll be near half hitch tackle which is a service center next week. After finally getting the reel definitely frustrating I seem to have gotten a bad egg, but i'll see what they can do.

12 mins ago, LB said:

l missed that, :th: if he was in NJ l would look at it to see what is going on l don't have parts for the 200 series reels but l could find the problem.

Who no's when they will be up and running in PA if there near Penn l could be there in 45min.

Some time today I'm going to measure the distance of the rotor to the main shaft, with a caliper and see if the rotor or main shaft is bent.

edit: also i'm a new member on the forum so it's taking awhile for my post to be checked by a moderator and they are getting posted out of order

Edited by atvanast